Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

New here, in desperate need of info

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, in desperate need of info

Hey guys, I just purchased a 2010 cobalt ss turbo from a used car lot. I had a 2009 Pontiac g5 five speed modded and decided to finally buy the car I wanted at that time.

The car is tuned and I was reading over 300hp on the little computer pod Guage. It worked great I had it for 2 days then on a Saturday I left to go on a trip and leaving a red light I decided to open it up finally a little bit and built some higher boost. BOOM something let go in the motor cracking the oil pan and taking 3 chucks out of the lower block. Now when I bought the car it had an airbag light on and check engine which he swore up and down that it was merely a recall on the ignition and airbag and me as giddy as a kid in a candy store super excited to get the car ate his lies like candy. First thing he did when I called him and had it towed was blame me for abuse. No abuse was done as I never opened it up at all until that point, every other time I drove it I had my 6 year old in it. Anywho the story gets sketchy as I learn from the Napa pro attached to his dealership that has my car tells me somebody not sure if he was government or not was down to scan the computer on the cobalt and literally after that the dealer changed his tune to "you hit something that caused it" when I questioned him about the computer he said yeah it was government they scan the car when a disagreement arises but supposedly between being towed and that guy arriving mysteriously the data was erased. Apparently by to many turns of the key is how he said it happens (pretty sure you need a diagnostic tool to scan and delete or modify anyting).

So now he basically is saying I hit a rock which kinked that very thin airway right at the bottom of the intercooler it's like a little channel of some sort.

Only thing is there's also a new scratch on my bumper in an impossible location inside the air dam and the damage to both parts was non existent until after the car left on the tow truck.

Is it possible for the motor to over boost or fail if that gets pinched off? It feels like he is pressuring me to take fault and even fraud my insurance company. I didn't belive this theory at all until my borrowed Mazda hatch scraped leaving my gfs apartment because of there high angled driveway even so I would have felt and heard it so this theory is a farce to me but would still like to explore the Avenue just incase there is some validity to it.

Any information is appreciated guys! Cheers!

Last edited by outputa; 05-04-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 05-04-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
That little channel on the bottom of the intercooler being kinked slightly would not cause the engine to blow. If anything, the intercooler would need to be smashed flat to cause an obstruction, and it would blow off/blow up the end tank or the charge piping before anything. The scratch and kink are most likely caused from the tow truck driver.

As to the clearing of the light, if it's a hard fault it'll never clear until the problem is fixed, no amount of key turns will clear it. And as far as I know a faulty ignition switch isn't going to be your light, especially now that the evidence has been wiped from your pcm. It probably had codes for something related to engine driveability, and he cleared it to wipe the evidence of whatever it is to make his "story" more fitting.

I don't know the history of the car, or the dealer, but something was wrong and he is basically ******* you with it. I'm not a lawyer, so i don't know if there is anything you can do, but I would get in touch with one in short order and at least ask.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:45 PM

Very appreciated and I have contacted a lawyer. Unfortunately here in NS Canada the laws protect the dealer more then the customer. I have a case but it's just going to expend money on both sides and be costly. Hoping to resolve this shortly but I was ultimately worried about the intercooler causing another motor fail after I have another install which is 2200 alone for the motor and a new intercooler in 700 for one stock. Anyone know any good aftermarket intercoolers that actually have advantages over stock?
Old 05-06-2017, 12:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by outputa
Very appreciated and I have contacted a lawyer. Unfortunately here in NS Canada the laws protect the dealer more then the customer. I have a case but it's just going to expend money on both sides and be costly. Hoping to resolve this shortly but I was ultimately worried about the intercooler causing another motor fail after I have another install which is 2200 alone for the motor and a new intercooler in 700 for one stock. Anyone know any good aftermarket intercoolers that actually have advantages over stock?
Your intercooler didn't cause ur motor to blow. Maybe you had a bad tune. How many miles? Also you can get a LDK engine and intercooler from ZZP for cheaper than that
Old 05-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Supercharged06SS
Your intercooler didn't cause ur motor to blow. Maybe you had a bad tune. How many miles? Also you can get a LDK engine and intercooler from ZZP for cheaper than that
It only had 155 000. Have any links for the zzp engine and would it hold together better then stock with higher boost? I looked for ZZP replacement but only found dead links.