Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Sh!t

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was shifting from 2 to 3rd and the ball and socket at the bottom of my shifter to one of my cables came undone... Could not get it to stay together... had to get it towed...

Why GM could not have made it out of metal IDK to save money.. now it will cost them more

Not a good day...

I already broke and had to get replaced on the other end where one of the shift cable connects to the trans.

Thanks WARRENTY
Old 05-23-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No disrespect!!! I'd practice shifting a little if I were you. The plastic cable link is probably there to protect the transmission in the case of missed/bad shifts. Kinda like a fuse. And the dealer is going to get VERY suspicious with you bringing the car in for the same thing over and over. SERIOUSLY!! If you're not using NLS you should. But even with it you don't have to ram the thing into the next gear at warp speed. A little faster than normal but with greater accuracy. Shift it with respect. Are you sure the cables are adjusted correctly? If the cable is hitting IT'S stop before the shifter that could be a problem. Cable AND shifter should hit their respective stops at the same time.

JMHO!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
No disrespect!!! I'd practice shifting a little if I were you. The plastic cable link is probably there to protect the transmission in the case of missed/bad shifts. Kinda like a fuse. And the dealer is going to get VERY suspicious with you bringing the car in for the same thing over and over. SERIOUSLY!! If you're not using NLS you should. But even with it you don't have to ram the thing into the next gear at warp speed. A little faster than normal but with greater accuracy. Shift it with respect. Are you sure the cables are adjusted correctly? If the cable is hitting IT'S stop before the shifter that could be a problem. Cable AND shifter should hit their respective stops at the same time.

JMHO!

Thanks for your opinion but I was not trying to break anything... Im not going to say I was babying it but I figure GM tuned the Car for "The Ring" I could not see why I would destroy mine...

My dealer is having to replace the entire Shifter Assembly.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 PM

just had that same problem.. is that warranyed? lol. oh yeah my key is also stuck and my car wont turn off. and i now i have to wait till tuesday for my new switch to come in. anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The plastic clips are junk. Just replace it with a TWM cable clamp = end of problem https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/twm-...-order-235464/
Old 07-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by boosted10cobalt
just had that same problem.. is that warranyed? lol. oh yeah my key is also stuck and my car wont turn off. and i now i have to wait till tuesday for my new switch to come in. anyone else have this problem?
I think its a recall
Old 07-03-2011, 10:18 PM

thank god. lol. all i know is i was all in it and shifted to 3rd and was like what the hell. and tryed 5th and 1st lost everything in the middle of nowhere with dead battery on my driod. talking about pissed off. finally i took the cup holder out and found 3rd drove home running every stop sign and red light without a care on my face lol
Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mongorat427
I think its a recall
yup it is. i had to undo the battery for a day cause i worked to early
Old 07-04-2011, 02:25 PM

so what about the shift cable coming undone from the shifter? is that a recall also?