Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

shifting question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifting question...

OK so as some of you may know this is my first stick car. I really didnt know what to expect so when things happen that are out of the norm I get currious to if its an issue or if its pointing to a possible issue in the future. Well enough with the small talk.

2 things have happend lately

1.) when I am flooring it and I get up close to my redline and then shift real quick, sometimes it goes up really high (you can hear it reving but its not gripped clutch wise yet) and then comes back down and revs normal like it hadnt fully grabbed or something. This is rare and I think it may be because I ahvent come fully off the gas when I shift and my RPM are high up and have to catch up to the higher gear. I thought I would ask though.

2.) often times from a dig when I race (when I went to cecil) if I get a lot of wheel hop and dont catch the ground sometimes my RPM's will shoot up real high and it feels like the clutch isnt grabbing the gear. When I first got my car I experienced this, and now I am getting it again. its rare and usually only happends if I botch up a launch. if I push the clutch in or come of the gas it will catch but if I keep reving it gets looser and looser.

This is the best I can describe it, hopefully it makes sense.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:39 PM

For your question #1, I have experienced this as well. I used to wonder if I wasn't actually taking my foot off the gas all the way - usually it was during some sort of race and I figured I must have got caught up in the moment and didn't pull my foot all the way off.

I have purposely brought it up close to the redline and then made sure my foot was completely off the gas and it still seemed to rev higher. I think it's the throttle-by-wire.

I really think there is something wrong with the SS S/C's clutch system. Many people have complained about it, but I don't think it's the clutch itself but maybe something with the hydraulics. Case in point...

Last summer this happened to me twice. I would be in first, completely off the clutch, just rolling (at idle) 5mph or less. Then I would punch the gas and wouldn't go anywhere. The engine roared, the revs climbed but I didn't go anywhere. I had my windows open and I could tell that the tires weren't spinning. IF they were spinning then they must have been completely off the ground - There wasn't any of the noise or feel of spinning tires. It truely felt like I still had the clutch pushed in. The second time it happened my foot went to try to PULL the clutch pedal back towards me, but there was nowhere for it to go.

Interestingly, this has not happened under the same circumstances since. I would guess that if the clutch was actually bad and slipping it would get worse not better.

COULD there be some problem with the hydraulics which would keep the clutch from fully engaging even though the pedal has fully returned to it's normal position?
Old 02-26-2006, 03:42 PM

Sounds like your clutch has started slipping. Mine did the same thing until i upgraded.

You have to be very careful with the stock clutch or it will bite you by going

Sucks, i know
Old 02-26-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

i think it is from overheating i have the problem occasionally like once every 3 months due to me racing like 5 times in a row lol but my brother doesnt shift as bad as me so i dont think it is slipping (but it may) stage 2 time for both of us!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:52 PM

Its rare though. It doesnt happend barely at all, but it creeps up sometimes. It often times happends after a few races where I think the clutch may have heated up. I never ride the clutch, and to be honest I have only smelled burnt clutch in my once. I dont see how my clutch could be going.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:53 PM

Its because of the crap clutch or something that GM did wrong with it.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

jeremy all the times i said let me drive her and you were like no! lol i could diagnose this problem asap tonight when you get home ill take her for a spin aiight?
Old 02-26-2006, 04:38 PM

sibbling rivalery lol gotta love it.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:11 PM

im sorry, but ive had my car for a while, 3 of my friends have it too, none of us have ever had any clutch problems, seems like u guys cant drive too well, cuz clutches dont just start slipping so early. its driver error that makes them slip, so dont blame GM for makin a bad clutch. u guys have it comin if u dont take care of it properly, so dont drive like idiot

my 0.02