Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Sticky shifter??

Old 05-28-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticky shifter??

Alright so maybe I've not been looking up the right phrasing but I'm not finding much.

Right now I'm running into two issues that are driving me nuts. I currently own a 05 manual base Cobalt.

One of the issues seems to be that the shifter has no spring in it anymore. What I mean by this is every single other manual shift I have driven has always when in neutral sprung back to what I think of as the neutral position. So for example put the shifter all the way to the right while in neutral and it would spring back to being in the middle. My Cobalt does not do this. I can put the shifter all the way to either right or left and it will just sit there.

The other issue that I'm finding and probably the more important is that when I'm driving it will randomly not be a smooth transition between 2nd gear and 3rd. Again maybe it is just me but I am used to there being a smooth progression between the two gears where it just kinda naturally wants to go into third. Now most of the time it is like this but there are times where it feels like I have to force the shifter over more than normal in order to hit third gear.

There is not any grinding or anything like that it just does not seem to want to go into that gear.

What would cause these issues? Transmission is smooth when it is not being a pain to get into third and while the shifter always feels a bit sticky in the neutral position about 80% of the time it is easy shifting overall.

I guess there is one more question I have. I see people changing out the SS/SC cobalt shifters all over the place on here but not much on changing out or modifying the base Cobalt shifter. Thoughts on doing that?

Also I apologize for the long winded post just woke up and get a bit o the rambles sometimes.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:40 AM

Take a look at where you shift cables connect to your stick shift bracket inside the car and take a look at where they go into the transmission, it could be loose there or in my case once a bolt was missing where the shiftier cables connected to the actual transmission.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by importkiller
Take a look at where you shift cables connect to your stick shift bracket inside the car and take a look at where they go into the transmission, it could be loose there or in my case once a bolt was missing where the shiftier cables connected to the actual transmission.

I pulled the cup holder and couldn't see anything loose in there. I'll have to get the car on ramps again once my appointment with the exhaust place is done and see whats going on.

I may just end up replacing the shift linkage as is and seeing about getting/doing a transmission flush as well.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Had that happen to me. Shifter cables were freezing up and I had to replace them
Old 06-01-2017, 03:03 PM

So I'm sitting here on my lunch. Just pulled the cup holder to checkout the wires. There seems to be about half an inch of play in them. Is this normal or no? My guess is either serious adjustment needed or outright replacement.

Last edited by Meystrike; 06-01-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
They sound broken. I snapped one once.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Mine were getting stuck to the left side, so going from 2nd-3rd was incredibly difficult.

I finally snapped the cable racing after my buddies stage 2+ 16 Golf R (dragged him)

Got stuck into 4th, fucked around with it and got it home and then the cable snapped. Replaced and shifts like butter now

Search this Thread