Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Throw out Bearing / Slave Problems (Defective?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw out Bearing / Slave Problems (Defective?)

Good day,

So I am doing the Exedy Hyper Single clutch and a new LSD transmission from an 05 Cobalt into my 2004 Ion Redline....

I've had really bad luck in the last few weeks...had the trans out and back in a total of 5 times now, pulling it for the 6th time tomorrow.

1- stocker out
2- mad leaking, bolt connection hydraulic "pipe" from dist. block to slave was not tightened..user error
3-rubber seal on stock dist. block was stuck up inside, thought it would all snap back together...nope..leaking from dist. block. Tried briefly to remove rubber seal, but did not want to damage it, so bought a new dist. block and a new line with new rubber cap.
4- new dist block bleeder valve is faulty, tighten it and it leaks from the threads, go to try old bleeder screw in the block...low and behold i drop it in the bellhousing window....
5-get clutch bled, everything is mint, have decent pedal pressure..call it a night, come out in morning, its leaking at the slave where the flange and the dust sheild meet...BTW this was a brand new slave I had shipped from gmpartsdirect, to a friend in syracuse, to me...total cost CDN plus new flywheel bolts was $210. Go to dealer here, get new slave $250...urgh...
6-re-install trans, bleed it, decent pressure again...during the bleed process we here a "snap/pop" noise from under the car...didnt think much of it, kept bleeding, still had mediocre pedal...5minutes later it is still dripping at the bellhousing...I loosened bolts, disconnected hydraulic line, and left it there to call it a night. Will pull it tomorrow, and see what the damage is. I am going to support it under the car, and install hydraulic line, let is sit and see where the fluid is leaking from.

Any suggestions? I have never read of the Exedy being so strong that it pops slaves? or could I have gotten the left overs of a bad batch of slave cylinders? Both brand new ones I have have them same manufacture/packaging date on the box. . .

urgh..haha
Old 05-08-2009, 05:27 PM

I had a similar problem first time I did it, slave cylinder was bad, replaced it and now it seems to be good.

Best suggestion I have is everytime you are replacing a slave cylinder, replace that pipe with the rubber seal on it, its only like $5. Also you might want to replace the plastic piece that holds the pipe/seal to the top of the transmission, in case it isn't holding the pipe up properly.

Kevin
Old 05-08-2009, 07:20 PM

Did you install the Exedy? Is it just me thinking it, because I know a lot of people have installed it without problems, but could the springs be too stiff/possibly seized causing the master to force more fluid into the TOB, causing massive ammounts of pressure, leading to a failure?

What are the chances of getting two defective slave cylinders in a row?

I remember reading somewhere about a "batch" of TOB/Slaves that were shipped out that were labelled as defective...you would think they would have pulled these by now...
Both new slaves that I have purchased have the following on the box
"OA042195 12 - 22 - 07" I am wondering if its possible that both of these were from the defective batch. I am going to pull the trans after dinner to locate the leak...since the hydraulic line is brand new as is the rubber cap on the line, i can only imagine it being the slave...I mean there are onl 3 parts to the system...
Old 05-08-2009, 11:54 PM

It is probably the slave cylinder, its possible you got two bad ones, but pretty unlikely.

Its more likely that you are missing some kind of mistake, like you have some kind of contaminent that is in the system and wrecking the slaves.

Its possible you are over or undertightening the fitting into the slave.

Trust me I know how frustrating that hydraulic system can be.

Are you sure you have the pressure plate bolts torqued to spec? If they are too tight I suppose that could cause a problem.

Kevin
Old 05-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Update

So pulled the trans this morning...

next, we supported it beneath the car, re-attached hydraulic line to see what was happening...we pumped the pedal once inorder to get fluid in the system and this is the result....(my dad pumped as i observed...he said there was ZERO pedal pressued ..which makes sense as there is no resistence from the clutch...)

I just want to get this together so i can enjoy these

urgh...i have e-mailed Exedy, and am now writing GM Goodwrench an e-mail
Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 AM

I have the Exedy and haven't had any problems blowing TOBs. I replaced mine when I did the clutch job. 6K miles and its still going strong. You should try bench bleeding it before you install it to get all the air out of it.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:37 AM

how exactly do you do that...i compressed it by hand and filled the fitting, released it a bit and it sucked fluid it....i didnt know how much to ill it though, fear was that when we installed the transmission back into the car that the TOB would compress, shooting break fluid up and out of the open post.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 PM

bump for through traffic...more thoughts are welcome
Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 AM

I just bought the gm upgraded clutch which included a new TOB/slave and I can't get it to bleed for the life of me. I might end up just using the stock one I pulled out....ugh
Old 05-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Hawlyns, I have a better thread on RLF..I'm sure you've seen that one though...
Old 05-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Never re-use a TOB, it will just die on you not long after you do it.

Im sorry I can't give you anymore help, but it definately looks like you have another bad TOB.

What I did on my car the second time was get the transmission bolted in, and then connect the hydraulics (and fill the transmission with fluid as well) and bleed the clutch before putting in the engine cradle.

At that point you can easily pull off that plastic inspection cover, and with a mirror you can see if its leaking inside at all.

Also, if there is a problem, you haven't fully re-assembled the car yet, so it is less work if you have to pull the transmission again.

Kevin
Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 PM

how critical do you think putting the transmission fluid in is? the last 3-4 times ive re-installed the trans i just left the axles out and didnt fill it.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:25 AM

did u ever get resolution to this problem?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes Periodic went through 3 tob to get one that worked. An unusual problem. Defective parts are rare. OntarioKev is on to it thats a good idea, and use the LNF TOB its better, and finally for all the problems you folks have dont remove the q/d block just pull the line out of the block by removing the hair clip....put a rag to soak up leaking fluid....