Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Problems

Well, was driving home from bike park. Not even driving hard, just in cruz mode listening to tunes when the tranny popped as i went into second gear. I tried and tried and the tranny will not go into second. Pulled over and wtf, no reverse or second. Before when I put in reverse or second it had a locked in feeling like other gears. Now not a *&%$#@! thing. After about 20 tries while driving I finally got it to take second but then it popped out again and it's gone. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen. It feels like it's in the linkage, not the synco or tranny itself. 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th feel normal, when I shift it locks in and is fine. Taking to dealer in the morning to find out what they say. I read other threads with kinda same stuff but wanted to find out for sure if it sounded the same as others with tranny issue's on 05 ss/sc.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:08 AM

Id say its most likely the linkage, we'll see what the dealer says though...
Old 09-13-2005, 09:04 AM

The same type of thing happened to me the first time it didn't want to go in then if it did go in it wan't to come out again. After the car sat for a while it went away for me anyways.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:44 PM

Well heard from the dealer and they are saying that the linkage is cable driven and one of the cables has failed. Unknown how long it's gonna be in shop. They don't have any idea of the time to get new parts. The tranny itself is fine, it's all in the cable setup. Stay tuned for updates as I get them from the dealer.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrappyvegas
Well heard from the dealer and they are saying that the linkage is cable driven and one of the cables has failed. Unknown how long it's gonna be in shop. They don't have any idea of the time to get new parts. The tranny itself is fine, it's all in the cable setup. Stay tuned for updates as I get them from the dealer.
The dealer told me the same thing on mine today. I was pretty much losing third. There were times when it just wasn't there or I really had to fight with it to get it in and then I had to really fight with it to get it back out. The cable hasn't completely snapped but it wasn't tensioned right or something. I guess though because the tension was too high it's stressed the cable but it isn't undrivable. They just said to take it easy on the tranny, no hard shifting. I talked to two different people and they each explained it differently. They actually let me take mine home, because it's not completely "broken"...it needs a new linkage cable but they were able to mess around with what I had and they said they're confident the car will be fine until Thursday, they're getting the part from a SAAB dealer since they've usually got them in stock and they can get it quicker from them than they can by ordering it from GM.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:46 PM

Well, heard from the dealer and sure enough the linkage cable failed. The problem lies in the have none in stock and are unsure how long it wil take to order and get in. I said the Saab dealer may have and they stated great but they cannot use that one under warrenty situtation, which is BS, but what do I do. So waiting on parts, they say may have car back by Friday, best case.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:57 PM

Well, heard from the dealer and sure enough the linkage cable failed. The problem lies in the have none in stock and are unsure how long it wil take to order and get in. I said the Saab dealer may have and they stated great but they cannot use that one under warrenty situtation, which is BS, but what do I do. So waiting on parts, they say may have car back by Friday, best case.
I'd LOVE to know why the dealer can't put a new linkage in for you if they get it from the SAAB dealer. The way my dealer is doing it is they're getting the part from the SAAB dealer and sending in the warranty work order to GM, then as soon as they get the warranty replacement part from GM, they are going to send that part to the SAAB dealer. Oh well, I guess it depends on how well the working relationship is between dealers too.

I wonder why this problem is cropping up in the SS's so much. It's not a new tranny or shifter, they've used this in the SAAB for years. My service manager said it looks like the tension is too great on the cable, causing stress and strain and eventually the cable will either become weak or actually break. After they adjusted mine, it feels better but I've been oh-so-gentile with mine until it goes back tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes!

Good luck with yours!!!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:13 PM

Well heard from the dealer again and indeed the cable likage is bad. The "GREAT" news is that this part is not even in the chevy dealer parts list yet. I suggested they get the part from Saab at which the laughed, put a Saab part in as Warrenty, not gonna happen. So I am in the process of contacting a GM rep and get some help hopefully. The dealer I took car too said it could be a couple days to track a new part or a couple months. (Ain't gonna ****** happen). Any help with this would be great.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:21 PM

I randomly have a problem when Im shifting in the high RPMs I would go to shift into 3rd and it would not go into gear. This only happens during a race or passing someone. I guess this might be the fix?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:27 PM

Ya that dealer parts swapping is odd...my dealer is a chrysler dealership but we service all mopars and swap parts between dodges and eagles and plymouths and chryslers all from different dealerships in the area, all under warranty. Same "company" makes the parts just like GM and SAAB so I don't see the issue.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:14 PM

Well heard from the dealer again and indeed the cable likage is bad. The "GREAT" news is that this part is not even in the chevy dealer parts list yet. I suggested they get the part from Saab at which the laughed, put a Saab part in as Warrenty, not gonna happen. So I am in the process of contacting a GM rep and get some help hopefully. The dealer I took car too said it could be a couple days to track a new part or a couple months. (Ain't gonna ****** happen). Any help with this would be great.
[SARCASM]Wonderful![/SARCASM] Yes, call GM. Tell them what's going on. I got my car in and out today, new linkage cable and all. GET THAT PART! It shifts like a dream now. I thought it was just me because this is my first manual tranny but DAMN what a difference, it just glides through the gears, they had that linkage cable tension WAY too damn tight or something. I just know with the new part it's smooth as silk now instead of clunky and I can get it into all the gears (5th is still a little funky but that's more to do with the shifter itself I think). Even the service manager who was the one who test drove it and looked at it took it out with me and his first comment was "Holy **** that made a difference!"

Talk to GM and see what they say.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:32 PM

Alleycat, would love to have who at your dealer did this work so i can have the dipshit at my dealer call to confirm this part works. They are not being to helpful at this yet.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:37 PM

Alleycat, would love to have who at your dealer did this work so i can have the dipshit at my dealer call to confirm this part works. They are not being to helpful at this yet.
I'll give them a call tomorrow, but I don't think it will help. From what I gathered from the guy at my dealership, whether or not the swap can happen depends on the relationship between dealers, because when I was ordering the part he flat out said "I can try this, but if they say no dice, then we'll have to order it from GM." Basically there's nothing saying that the dealers HAVE to make the swap, it's up to the individual service departments whether or not they'll do it.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:38 PM

Yea, thanks for the help.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:46 AM

Update, It's Monday and the car is still sitting in the dealer storage area waiting for a GM approved part. I still love my SS/SC but really si\\disappointed with GM for not having this part in network at the time the car was released to sell.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:34 PM

Still no luck? Call GM directly to find out about it. Since you're having so much bad luck, now I'm starting to wonder if maybe my dealer put a part on they weren't supposed to. I would think though that the cable from the SAME transmission would work, now I'm just worried that maybe there's something about the SAAB part that won't work...again don't know why, it should be exactly the same since it's the same transmission but ya know...paranoia is setting in.

I can't find the part number on my invoice or I'd give it to you so you could ask about it. They were supposed to call me back Friday but haven't. I say call and ask about it, call GM customer service tell them this is rediculous, you wouldn't have bought a car had you known if something went wrong you'd be without a car for weeks waiting for a stupid part to come in.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:46 PM

Yea, I got the Saab part number, even gave it to chevy to investigate. No one will authorize useing the Saab part for warrenty work. Heard from the Chevy Corp Complaints people today. The part is 7 to 10 weeks away, coming out of GERMANY!!!!! WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF!!!!!!! So my next 2 car payments will be made with my Yellow SS/SC sitting in the F*&^%$# dealership storage. I'm really starting to figure out why i did'nt own GM Products prior to this little Yellow speedster. It sure is'nt very fast sitting in the storage area of the dealership. Everyone with similar problems get into your dealer and have them order this part now!!!!! If you wait till it's already failed your gonna be in the same F*&^ed Up shoe's i'm in. This really SUCKS!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something I would definetly call the Chevy 800 number about. Just be nice and tell them 7 weeks without your brand new car isn't acceptable and you need this resolved in a more timely manner.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
Something I would definetly call the Chevy 800 number about. Just be nice and tell them 7 weeks without your brand new car isn't acceptable and you need this resolved in a more timely manner.
He makes a good point - I would call them IMMEDIATELY. I would tell them about the payments, ask them why you have to pay for a car you can't even drive. Also tell them you want that time added to the end of your warranty period. That's TWO MONTHS. Rediculous! I'd be raisin' some hell. Hopefully my dealership won't get any backlash for what they did if it's not an authorized part/repair. Did you ask the Chevy Custormer Service people why they can't just use the SAAB part????? It all seems like BS to me, but then again I wonder if maybe my dealership did me a special favor that they shouldn't have.

Although, of the two situations I would say that they should handle things however is most beneficial to the customer, not whatever they feel like doing.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:40 AM

Everyone that I have told about the SAAB part has given me the deer in the headlights look or sound on the phone. I don't think anyone in Chevy, other than your dealer (alleycat), knows that the tranny is a SAAB used product. I agree that Chevy should extend warranty and make some kind of money or product credit for the inconvience. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to get something for nothing. I look at it this way, they are renting my car while I can't drive it, so I do deserve some sort of compensation for the use of my car. The 800 number is a joke. It's like calling It's A Smal World at DisneyLand. So nice and friendly and when your done talking you are trying to figure out what just happened, three card monty or the shell game. they are trained to talk in circles and avoid the real issue, thier defective product! Don't get me wrong they have been helpful, I just have'nt figured out what they have done, i'm still waiting for 7 to 10 weeks for a part.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:29 AM

I wonder if it would do you any good to talk to a SAAB dealer? (Although they might be appauled that you're using a SAAB part in a "lowly" Chevrolet...) It might be worth a try. I can't believe no one else realizes that it's the same tranny. GM has really slipped. Back in the day they used to give their dealers extensive training on things like this, to be tops when it came to knowledge of the cars they sell and parts interchangability. That's BS right there.

They're renting YOUR car out to people???????? That right there would have sent me through the roof. If you can't drive it why are they letting other people? BS. Total BS. Have you only gone through Chevrolet so far or have to taken it to the GM customer service department? They might be a little better, but you never know. I'm so sorry you're going through all this. You bought an awesome car, you should be able to drive your awesome car. I would call every number possible for GM. If you haven't already, ask to speak with the supervisor from now on instead of talking with whoever answers the phone. Just tell them you want clear-cut answers as to why you have to wait so long for a part that could very well be sitting in a SAAB dealer's inventory right this second, why your car is being used as a rental but yet it's bad enough that you can't drive it, and why in God's name does it take 7-10 weeks for a part that's obviously a problem since other people on this board have had the same issue with their car...
Old 09-20-2005, 12:26 PM

I'd call chevy and tell them they can get you the part or get you a car one or the other. you paid over 20,000 for a car to drive DAILY, not just whenever the hell they feel like fixing it.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:26 PM

They are'nt really useing my car as a rental. I was useing that as a joke as to why they should be making my payments while they have my car and I cannot use it. Sorry if you took that the wrong way Alleycat. Just seems someone should have to pay while i'm in limbo, of course and the end of the day it's me making the payments in every way on this. Chevy and GM complaints are the same, I even e-mailed a connection at GMTunerTour.com to see if they can pul strings or put pressure from a proud (?) owner. If I really did see my car driving around I would contact police as stolen vehicle, for they have permission to work on the car not joyride, I also wrote down mileage like every time I take a car to the dealer. Once at FORD they took my SVT Focus to lunch and I caught them. They were embarrassed and fired a service person for the joyride at lunch. They also cut me a check for $380 for damage to my cold air and painted pieces inside the engine bay. Never went back to that dealer.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:04 PM

They are'nt really useing my car as a rental. I was useing that as a joke as to why they should be making my payments while they have my car and I cannot use it. Sorry if you took that the wrong way Alleycat. Just seems someone should have to pay while i'm in limbo, of course and the end of the day it's me making the payments in every way on this. Chevy and GM complaints are the same, I even e-mailed a connection at GMTunerTour.com to see if they can pul strings or put pressure from a proud (?) owner. If I really did see my car driving around I would contact police as stolen vehicle, for they have permission to work on the car not joyride, I also wrote down mileage like every time I take a car to the dealer. Once at FORD they took my SVT Focus to lunch and I caught them. They were embarrassed and fired a service person for the joyride at lunch. They also cut me a check for $380 for damage to my cold air and painted pieces inside the engine bay. Never went back to that dealer.
*WHEW* I was going to say - holy crap I'd be pissed!!!!!!!!

Wonder what they'd do if you told them you want a new car since your other one is inoperable? Not just like a loaner, a NEW car...like RedCobaltSS06 said. I'd do everything I could to make them pay for keeping your car for almost 2 months...
Old 09-20-2005, 03:16 PM

Already started down that road with GM complaints. Told them I wanted a By-Back and a new car delivered. The "DISNEY" comment with a smile I could feel through the phone was "We will do everything in our power to make things right Mr. ?" give me a break. I've had so much happy sunshine **** blown up my butt since this started, I could barf a tan. But I am calling everyday (twice) to be a thorn in thier side until I get my car back or a new one delivered to my door.

Quick Reply: Tranny Problems