Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

TTR Stop Mounts affect on Transmission Life

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTR Stop Mounts affect on Transmission Life

Anyone else going through trannys significantly faster since installing these mounts?

I've gone through 2 in approx 45,000 miles. The original lasted about 70 and change. Synchros wore out so I replaced it with a brand new 08+ spec with G85. That promptly blew up, literally, in just over 30k. Replaced that with a used 05-7 spec no G85 about 6 months ago. Now that one will not stay in 5th gear. It pops out every time I let off the gas. Any ideas what could cause this?

Key Note- The Mounts went on when I replaced the original tranny. So stock mounts/stock tranny 70k. TTR mounts- 1 brand new and 1 used that may be on its way in 45k.

Seems everytime the car is opened up 125+mph with these mounts. The tranny breaks the next day.

Last edited by BeermanSSSC; 09-28-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:52 PM

subd
Old 09-28-2011, 11:02 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so, you're going through transmissions like crazy, and you think it's the mounts, yet you keep the mounts on the car? Common sense tells me to swap back to stock mounts.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 PM

I’m just curious if these mounts are the cause before i install the ones i got
Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KangolRiot
I’m just curious if these mounts are the cause before i install the ones i got
no I understand I just think swapping back to stock and seeing if the problem is solved would be a good way to rule out a possible cause.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
if you were cracking or breaking cases then i could see it.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by BeermanSSSC
Anyone else going through trannys significantly faster since installing these mounts?

I've gone through 2 in approx 45,000 miles. The original lasted about 70 and change. Synchros wore out so I replaced it with a brand new 08+ spec with G85. That promptly blew up, literally, in just over 30k. Replaced that with a used 05-7 spec no G85 about 6 months ago. Now that one will not stay in 5th gear. It pops out every time I let off the gas. Any ideas what could cause this?

Key Note- The Mounts went on when I replaced the original tranny. So stock mounts/stock tranny 70k. TTR mounts- 1 brand new and 1 used that may be on its way in 45k.

Seems everytime the car is opened up 125+mph with these mounts. The tranny breaks the next day.
Like Tommy said I would have definitely went back to stock mounts after the first tranny problem. How long after you had them installed did you start noticing problems?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Like Tommy said I would have definitely went back to stock mounts after the first tranny problem. How long after you had them installed did you start noticing problems?
Well, now that the second one is acting up I will be going back to all stock mounts. The first one I thought could've just been a fluke. Two is def a trend. If I put a third tranny on these mounts some please shoot me.

I put the mounts on when I replaced the original tranny. Car had 70k on it then. That brand new replacement tranny only lasted about 30k before it exploded. This one has only been on for about 8k. It was used though. Supposedly 40k on it prior but who knows.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:26 PM

Well, now that the second one is acting up I will be going back to all stock mounts. The first one I thought could've just been a fluke. Two is def a trend. If I put a third tranny on these mounts some please shoot me.

I put the mounts on when I replaced the original tranny. Car had 70k on it then. That brand new replacement tranny only lasted about 30k before it exploded. This one has only been on for about 8k. It was used though. Supposedly 40k on it prior but who knows.
Do you take your car to the track a lot? Im just curious to know how much abuse the tranny has seen. Also were you racing the car when the tranny went the 2nd time?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 PM

Click
Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 PM

Do you take your car to the track a lot? Im just curious to know how much abuse the tranny has seen. Also were you racing the car when the tranny went the 2nd time?
Yeah, I've spent a fair amount of time at tracks. More road courses than drag strips though. The original tranny synchros wore out. The 2nd tranny went to a track day was fine, drove it home (got a little spirited on the way home on a near abandoned parkway) and the next day it was hard going into all gears and then boom after I drove about 15 miles. Opened it up and pieces of metal fell out. The third (current) tranny hasn't been to track since it was in my car, not sure about prior to that cause it was used. But I drove home again on that parkway and hit 125 or so. I know, bad on the streets. I don't usually but it's practically abandoned road in nowhere. But hit 125 or so. Next day driving to work headed to the thruway going 45 or so it pops out of 5th. Does it everytime I let of the gas in 5th now.

Thing is, I never hear anything like this from other people with mounts. And there are a lot of people with mounts on these cars.

Last edited by BeermanSSSC; 09-28-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subbd. I have Otto mounts, hopefully if it IS mounts its only from the ttr ones.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
You are not serious are you?

1000's of members have poly mounts, and 1000's of members have the "rotated mounts"

And you blame it on mounts? How about aggressive driving/to much HP for the tranny itself...

You tell us how a mount would cause SYNCRO's to go... It wouldn't!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:22 AM

The synchros went with the stock mounts, not the TTR ones. That aside, Aaron is right. There would NOT be any internal damaged caused by those mounts. Sounds like you just beat the **** out of them lol and you probably got crap used ones.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 AM

I have a diffrent trans but I've been making over 300 ftlbs for. A couple years with the ttr mounts and my trans is still holding up just fine
Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing

1000's of members have poly mounts, and 1000's of members have the "rotated mounts"

And you blame it on mounts? How about aggressive driving/to much HP for the tranny itself...

Yes, I am serious. I know there are tons of people with them. I started this thread to see if anyone else has been having the same issue.

The car has been back to GM S2 with an intake, header, and catback so I doubt power is the problem. I really don't drive aggresively that often. Just seems whenever I do since the mounts have been on the car, the tranny breaks.

I never said I expected that the mounts caused synchros to wear out. Try reading. The synchros wearing out were on the original tranny before the TTR mounts were installed. Unless your saying that the car is popping out of 5th gear on deceleration because that synchro is worn. If that's the case. I would suspect because it's a typical POS GM tranny with 50k on it.

But a brand new tranny on your mounts exploding after 30k miles. I think I'm being reasonable when I am curious as to whether the extra vibration may have had an affect on the transmission. Especially what vibes might be present at higher speeds.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by OriGinaL Condo
The synchros went with the stock mounts, not the TTR ones. That aside, Aaron is right. There would NOT be any internal damaged caused by those mounts. Sounds like you just beat the **** out of them lol and you probably got crap used ones.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with the tranny currently in the car. It was used with supposedly only 40k on it. But how about the 2nd one. That one was brand new and blew after 30k. I drove the car for nearly 80k before the stock tranny, so its not my driving.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Did you replace the clutch when the first tranny let go? Having an aggressive (or not properly installed) clutch will decrease the life of a transmission.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 AM

it was a brand new clutch with the second tranny. Had it installed by a GM Tech.

I would assume that he knows how to install a clutch properly.

Last edited by BeermanSSSC; 09-29-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 PM

bump for some input from poly mount people
Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 AM

I have ttr mounts with 400tq and still no tranny problems for two years now.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_chevy_cobalt
I have ttr mounts with 400tq and still no tranny problems for two years now.
That seems to be the norm. Guess I've just been lucky. I love the mounts though. No wheel hop at all. Do you take your car to the track?

I haven't had a chance to take look at the car, I think it might just be linkage adjustment problem. Thanks for the input though, I was interested to see if the extra vibrations might be transferred to the transmission internals. Seems its just the risk you take driving a car a high speeds. Things break.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing

Agreed 110% WTF..... People saying "click" and "sub'd".. Come the **** on? I can't believe the speculation on here sometimes..... It makes me sick...............
Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
Agreed 110% WTF..... People saying "click" and "sub'd".. Come the **** on? I can't believe the speculation on here sometimes..... It makes me sick...............
Yes, it should make you sick that people question things. We should all be sheeple and just go along and never question anything. I don't think its unreasonable to ask if other people with the mounts have had tranny reliability issues. You have to admit, a tranny grenading with 30,000 miles on it isn't normal. The car is only GM S2, if I was making huge hp and tq I wouldn't question the cause. I'm not. Granted, the car was doing 140+ at the track the day before. And now, third tranny is starting to have issues. I can't believe that you think its unreasonable to "speculate" that the extra vibration from the mounts might be a factor.

That being said. I do love the mounts. I don't drag race often but it's nice to be able to launch the car or even just take off on wet roads without wheel hop.

Last edited by BeermanSSSC; 10-03-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No. Vibes don't cause that. Retards on the internet speculate **** and blame their own stupidity on "X" part. I don't know what ass-backwards universe you live in where solid mounts will harm a trans or more specifically - Disrupt syncro operation. Not happening. Never has. Never will.

Here are your choices..

1. Quit driving the car like a dick.
2. You just have bad luck with transmissions.

There is nothing more to it. Though I can't see being on the 3rd trans and still being able to blame it on a manufacturing defect.

Either way, good luck, and no, I don't mean that in a sarcastic way.

Quick Reply: TTR Stop Mounts affect on Transmission Life