Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/)
-   -   What aftermarket clutches are you all using? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/what-aftermarket-clutches-you-all-using-45039/)

Vman81 01-29-2007 09:36 AM

I am needing a clutch myself so I'm glad you started this thread Boosted_SS. I have been leaning more toward the CM FX400 clutch because of cost, but everyone keeps saying the exedy is the shit. Does anyone actually have one of these bad boys in their car though? I am replacing my clutch because I am building my motor and I'd rather get it now then later.

Vince.

Orange06Supercharged 01-31-2007 01:53 AM

- quick clutch question -

Some clutch kits i've seen say they come with the " release bearing (if applicable)" and some come with the " throw out bearing (if applicable)", i've never seen them together on the same box or on the same site.

Are the release bearing and throw out bearing the same thing?

Cobalt_Supercharged 01-31-2007 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Vman81 (Post 793518)
I am needing a clutch myself so I'm glad you started this thread Boosted_SS. I have been leaning more toward the CM FX400 clutch because of cost, but everyone keeps saying the exedy is the shit. Does anyone actually have one of these bad boys in their car though? I am replacing my clutch because I am building my motor and I'd rather get it now then later.

Vince.

From everything I have read on here, CM dropped the ball on the Cobalt clutch. I would go for the Exedy since that is what was used on the Cobalt touring cars. I also heard from someone the the RL forums have a few members with the Exedy and love it.

I'm very curious about the Bully clutch's since they seem to be really researching it, but I am leary after the CM and Spec fiascos.

brownbandit9 01-31-2007 04:54 AM

i put a exedy racing clutch in my celica gts and loved it.exedy makes great clutches. just do not get it from clutch city. they messed up my order twice in a row and i waited a month total to get my correct product..this was for the celica..still have yet to get one for the ss

Manny13 01-31-2007 05:53 AM

I've had a stage 3+ from spec for 6 months and has been just fine. The clutch has held up to over 285 Hp and 267 ft/lb tourqe. maybe tomorrow it will take a shit on me but no signs so far and I like it.

chipmonk212121 02-03-2007 12:44 AM

Scott @ Cobalt Performance Parts is who i got my exedy from. great pricing too. i would email him and see what he can do for you.........

Sales@cobaltperformanceparts.com

SSKING 02-03-2007 12:57 AM

get the exedy combo

2K5SS/SC? 02-03-2007 04:18 PM

I ordered the Exedy kit, and I'll give another review on it after it's installed.

Boosted_SS 02-03-2007 04:27 PM

^^^you are the man! i'm very interested in this!!

Smarty Art 02-03-2007 07:03 PM

The cheapest I've found so far. Its the one I plan on using in my build.

http://www.ultrarev.com/storefront-c0.html

1,066$ Can't beat it.

memphisr24 02-03-2007 07:07 PM

Is a spec stage 2 good for these mods:

2.5 pulley
Header
DP
Catback
CAI

Or should I get rid of the spec and go with a bully or other company?

Vman81 02-03-2007 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged (Post 799303)
From everything I have read on here, CM dropped the ball on the Cobalt clutch. I would go for the Exedy since that is what was used on the Cobalt touring cars. I also heard from someone the the RL forums have a few members with the Exedy and love it.

I'm very curious about the Bully clutch's since they seem to be really researching it, but I am leary after the CM and Spec fiascos.

Thanks for the advice man, I think I have my mind made up on the exedy. I can't wait, for all of my parts to arrive so I can get my car back on the road! It's been almost 2 months without my car!!! Should be good when we get it back together.

L82vette 02-04-2007 02:17 AM

how are the bully clutches i need a new clutch but dont have the funds to spend 1200$ on the exedy. the bully stg3 is perfect for my futer mods and right in my price range
has anyone heard good or bad about them

Mase 02-04-2007 02:30 AM

absolutely love it!!

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/stage-4-bully-clutch-installation-45068/

2K5SS/SC? 02-04-2007 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by memphisr24 (Post 810166)
Is a spec stage 2 good for these mods:

2.5 pulley
Header
DP
Catback
CAI

Or should I get rid of the spec and go with a bully or other company?

I would stay away from Spec. The horror stories are just as bad if not worse than ClutchMasters! Get the Bully clutch or Exedy kit.

mysweetSS 02-04-2007 04:51 PM

Can someone please tell me the difference between the CM FX300/Spec 3+ Clutchs and the Exedy Stage 3? I thought it was weird that the frst 2 are half the price of the Exedy.

Cobalt_Supercharged 02-04-2007 04:59 PM

The big difference is that the Exedy is the only clutch used on the GM Touring and Time Attack Cobalts. It has been race tested and proved to be a worthy design.

mysweetSS 02-04-2007 05:01 PM

So that is the only difference? And that is what makes it he CM and Spec half the price?

Cobalt_Supercharged 02-04-2007 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by mysweetSS (Post 811604)
So that is the only difference? And that is what makes it he CM and Spec half the price?

The CM had some serious issues that does not allow it to fully disengage. The Spec required so much force to disengage that the hydrolic lines and tank flex and expand not allowing enough pressure to do so.

From what I have read on the forums the Excedy works properly. I have also heard of one good response for the Bully S4 clutch. Nothing bad about either yet...except the price tag on the Excedy.

Smarty Art 02-04-2007 06:14 PM

Excedy comes with a flywheel. Thats 300-400 by itself.

Cobalt_Supercharged 02-04-2007 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty Art (Post 811814)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Boosted_SS 02-04-2007 06:52 PM

plus the exedy comes with a forged aluminum cover versus a stamped steal cover on the others.

exedy info...

Built for the Chevrolet Cobalt... Stage 3: Road/Street + Track/Slicks UseThe Hyper Single Clutch is engineered to optimize performance for cars that are moderatly modified, but do not require the clutch capacity of a multi-plate clutch. Similar to their multi-plate clutches, it has a forged aluminum cover that is anodized purple. The aluminum cover is stiffer than a stamped cover and therefore allows a higher lever ratio to maintain the pedel efforts at a reasonable level. No clamp load deflection as in a pressed metal type coverAll Hyper Clutches come with a steel flywheel and a 6-puck cerametallic facing, spring center damper disc assembly. The disc is generally smaller and thinner than the OEM disc making for lower inertia and therefore quicker, easier shifting, and less wear and tear on the transmission synchros. The higher clamp load and cerametallic friction facings give approximately twice the holding torque of the OEM cutch and generally higher than other single plate clutches.As with all cerametallic clutches, the street drivability may be marginal due to chattering and harsh engagement characteristicsAn additional feature of the pressure plate is a series of turbine-like, air flow enhancing vanes that keep the clutch cooler under extreme operating conditions to improve wear life.Note

mysweetSS 02-04-2007 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty Art (Post 811814)

Then that would answer my question too.... I didn't know it came with a flywheel... thought It was just the clutch and pressure plate, but if it comes with the flywheel too, then I'll buy it for the price!!! Ty for in info guys!