Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel bearing

so posted a week ago about a hum, was a mix of my tire being thrashed and a wheel bearing however I was told it was my left rear wheel bearing but when I turn right it gets a hella lot louder and left quiets down ... I really feel like they're wrong and it's my front left, would a rear make sounds going around a corner as well?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:29 PM

If you hear a noise when turning that's usually indicative of a cv axle especially if it isn't always loud when driving. The wheel bearing makes a loud noise kind of like something is stuck in your tire and gets louder the faster you go. Like a banging on the side of the car in thr front. The good thing is either or both are relatively easy to fix.

Cv axle sounds like a loud or deep clicking noise when turning if that helps even more.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jbishop0352
If you hear a noise when turning that's usually indicative of a cv axle especially if it isn't always loud when driving. The wheel bearing makes a loud noise kind of like something is stuck in your tire and gets louder the faster you go. Like a banging on the side of the car in thr front. The good thing is either or both are relatively easy to fix.

Cv axle sounds like a loud or deep clicking noise when turning if that helps even more.
that's definitely not it lol my axles are fine and it doesn't click it's a constant loud hum, it's definitely a wheel bearing
Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 PM

I've never heard a wheel bearing in these cars but I think when you say hum it's like those trucks you hear with really big tires on them and when they pass you it has a loud noise which could sound like a hum if that makes sense. But the good thing is the hub is easy to change and doesn't take long at alland isn't to bad price wise. If you can change the breaks then you can knock out the bearing hub assembly in no time.

Sorry it took me a minute to relate the hum since the sound is a unique loud one. I relate it to those trucks like a ranger with big swamps like the 33 or 36s. Those things are loud as hell when they speed up which def sounds like a hub in a regular car. You can Google wheel bearing sounds and I'd bet that's exactly what your talking about.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jbishop0352
I've never heard a wheel bearing in these cars but I think when you say hum it's like those trucks you hear with really big tires on them and when they pass you it has a loud noise which could sound like a hum if that makes sense. But the good thing is the hub is easy to change and doesn't take long at alland isn't to bad price wise. If you can change the breaks then you can knock out the bearing hub assembly in no time.

Sorry it took me a minute to relate the hum since the sound is a unique loud one. I relate it to those trucks like a ranger with big swamps like the 33 or 36s. Those things are loud as hell when they speed up which def sounds like a hub in a regular car. You can Google wheel bearing sounds and I'd bet that's exactly what your talking about.
you hit the nail on the head haha I just wanna know if rears change sound like the fronts do when cornering
Old 04-13-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by MandaPanda
you hit the nail on the head haha I just wanna know if rears change sound like the fronts do when cornering
Yes the sound changes on the rears as well.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a front ss/tc bearing for sale. Brand new too
Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 PM

I haven't had to buy any for the cobalt but they can range from$ 45-110. And again are very easy to put on. Check advance auto or auto zone or see what tuned08 is selling his for.

Glad you got it figured out though especially before they snap, trust me that's no fun lol.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:08 AM

A timken bearing is about $100+ and that's before shipping. I know this for the lnf at least.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by tuned08ss
A timken bearing is about $100+ and that's before shipping. I know this for the lnf at least.
rear left is what I need if you got that ? And how much ? I'm in Canada
Old 04-16-2017, 01:00 AM

I only have a front one. Sorry
Old 04-20-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The rears are almost double the price of the fronts, atleast in Canada