Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Dyno Results (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/dyno-results-170/)
-   -   Staged07SS finally goes to the dyno! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/dyno-results-170/staged07ss-finally-goes-dyno-313046/)

Staged07SS 10-30-2014 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by LNFTX (Post 7427386)
Have you ever had the H 62 apart to take a look at how good of condition the rotors are in?

I never took it apart. Didnt need to. It only had some dyno miles on it from Intense, and a few driving miles from blackmagic.

It was pretty much a brand new supercharger when I received it. The rotors were mint. It didnt even have a spec of blow by in the inlet.

I've had the blower off my car pretty much every year since I installed it, and the rotors and housing are still like the day I installed it.

user 72239 10-30-2014 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7426558)
Nope. The H62 is a 1L blower.

It is unique because it still has 3-lobe rotors but they are twisted double the angle of the M62 rotors.

Hey man.... you should be banned for a week.

teehee

:cool:

Don't ban me bro!

Staged07SS 10-30-2014 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by leemanfor (Post 7427833)
Don't ban me bro!

;)

100% METH 10-30-2014 11:59 AM

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003...os_xlarge.jpeg

yellow dragon 10-30-2014 12:02 PM

Sweet stuff, wicked numbers and nice build.

Staged07SS 10-30-2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by yellow dragon (Post 7427840)
Sweet stuff, wicked numbers and nice build.

Thank you sir!

DarkChild 11-04-2014 10:25 PM

Seeing your build makes me wish I had stuck to GM specs as well. Smaller pulley isn't always better.

Staged07SS 11-05-2014 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by DarkChild (Post 7430140)
Seeing your build makes me wish I had stuck to GM specs as well. Smaller pulley isn't always better.

Agreed!

InfraRedline 11-05-2014 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7430187)
Agreed!

I wouldn't necessarily say that. There are diminishing returns with a smaller pulley, but you would no doubt make more power by dropping pulleys. I understand why you have the pulley you do, and why you want to keep it, but dropping pulley sizes would net you some gains, there is no way around the fact.

Olybaltss 11-05-2014 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7426558)
Nope. The H62 is a 1L blower.

It is unique because it still has 3-lobe rotors but they are twisted double the angle of the M62 rotors.

Hey man.... you should be banned for a week.

teehee

:cool:

made me lol at work

Staged07SS 11-06-2014 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by InfraRedline (Post 7430303)
I wouldn't necessarily say that. There are diminishing returns with a smaller pulley, but you would no doubt make more power by dropping pulleys. I understand why you have the pulley you do, and why you want to keep it, but dropping pulley sizes would net you some gains, there is no way around the fact.

I tested many different pulleys on my car. None of them gave me enough reason to not utilize the GMRS3 pulley. I know the 42's limit me to an extent, but I'm not going for dyno queen kinda power. Once I throw the 50 shot at her, I will be more than happy with the power.

Sure I could get larger injectors and pulley down and make some additional power and torque, but at the cost of some loss of efficiency.

My main point is, you can make good power with a larger pulley. Cramming more air into an engine that cant utilize it properly is not the answer (as many do on this site). A ported head and cams is a much better modification than throwing a tiny pulley on, and I know you know that.

InfraRedline 11-06-2014 10:56 AM

I forget you have 42's. But on the next point, of course you will sacrifice some efficiency as you raise boost, especially on a blower, but if that's the case then we should all be running 3.35" stock pulleys. I hear what you are saying, and am not arguing with you. I agree that a ported head is about the best thing you can do for these cars, but at the same time I wouldn't personally discourage someone from using that ported head to more efficiently take advantage of a pulley drop. You have probably the best balance of efficiency and power of any pulley there is on your car, but for the people that wanna push a bit harder I wouldn't tell them that its not worth dropping sizes. I picked up ~12-15whp/15qtw by dropping from a 2.9 to a 2.7 5 mins apart on the dyno after already making about 10 runs on the 2.9, and then picked up 3mph in trap speeds with the same 60' time. Granted that was on the TVS so the efficiency doesn't drop off quite a fast, but it shows there were gains to be had. On a smaller blower the returns will be smaller of course. I personally run a 2.7 on my M62 car with a ported head and cams on E85, but fuel has a lot to do with my recommendations as well.

Basically what I am getting at it, I understand what you are doing and respect it, but some people want to squeeze it all out, so to be fair I wouldn't turn someone away from taking the dip in efficiency to squeeze some more power out. We all have different goals and build different setups.

Staged07SS 11-06-2014 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by InfraRedline (Post 7430838)
I forget you have 42's. But on the next point, of course you will sacrifice some efficiency as you raise boost, especially on a blower, but if that's the case then we should all be running 3.35" stock pulleys. I hear what you are saying, and am not arguing with you. I agree that a ported head is about the best thing you can do for these cars, but at the same time I wouldn't personally discourage someone from using that ported head to more efficiently take advantage of a pulley drop. You have probably the best balance of efficiency and power of any pulley there is on your car, but for the people that wanna push a bit harder I wouldn't tell them that its not worth dropping sizes. I picked up ~12-15whp/15qtw by dropping from a 2.9 to a 2.7 5 mins apart on the dyno after already making about 10 runs on the 2.9, and then picked up 3mph in trap speeds with the same 60' time. Granted that was on the TVS so the efficiency doesn't drop off quite a fast, but it shows there were gains to be had. On a smaller blower the returns will be smaller of course. I personally run a 2.7 on my M62 car with a ported head and cams on E85, but fuel has a lot to do with my recommendations as well.

Basically what I am getting at it, I understand what you are doing and respect it, but some people want to squeeze it all out, so to be fair I wouldn't turn someone away from taking the dip in efficiency to squeeze some more power out. We all have different goals and build different setups.

I'm not trying to turn people away from small pulleys, nor am I claiming they are a waste of time... I'm simply trying to get people to look at every aspect of a build before they just go slap a small pulley and larger injectors on their car.

Everytime I see a build the answer for making power is "drop that pulley down", when in reality that person may not even be able to efficiently utilize the extra airflow.

I also wanted to make it known that even a 2.9 or 3.0" pulley can make decent power. That is all I'm trying to help people understand. That's why I say a small pulley is "not always" the answer...

It is not intended to stop anyone from doing what they want with their car. It is merely something to think about. Also, I know you arent trying to argue. I'm just trying to clarify my point is all.

InfraRedline 11-06-2014 12:25 PM

Now that there is no confusion for us or anyone reading and points have been made clear, I think some good info has been shared on both sides of the matter. There isn't enough discussion like this on the forum anymore.

Staged07SS 11-06-2014 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by InfraRedline (Post 7430903)
Now that there is no confusion for us or anyone reading and points have been made clear, I think some good info has been shared on both sides of the matter. There isn't enough discussion like this on the forum anymore.

:cssNET:

Bluelightning 11-06-2014 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by InfraRedline (Post 7430903)

I totally agree. I miss the discussions.

Olybaltss 11-06-2014 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning (Post 7430940)
I totally agree. I miss the discussions.

This is the best example i've seen on the forum in awhile of explaining your perspective/POV without somebody turning it into a cockfight and winner versus loser.

Thanks for the faith in humanity lol, and the knowledge guys. :twothumbs

riceburner 11-06-2014 06:17 PM

gotta agree there!

Staged07SS 11-07-2014 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Olybaltss (Post 7431054)
This is the best example i've seen on the forum in awhile of explaining your perspective/POV without somebody turning it into a cockfight and winner versus loser.

Thanks for the faith in humanity lol, and the knowledge guys. :twothumbs

You're welcome!! Infra knows his shit, so he made lots of valid points, as did i.

I knew him and I werent arguing but trying to get our points across on the subject of pulley size.

The battles usually occur when you get two people that don't know what they are talkng about, lol.

ItalianJoe1 11-07-2014 02:59 PM

I made plenty of power on my 2.8/42's setup and I always recommend that to locals here because of the hot weather we see 11 months out of the year. The lower pulley sizes just don't allow you to run any timing on pump gas and you can't make the power up top, just a little more torque in the mid range. When I do the new cobalt build I probably won't go any smaller than a 2.9" pulley because i'll be overspinning the blower anyway at that size with the RPM's i'm shooting for and it won't gain me any noticable power.

Powell Race Parts 11-07-2014 07:23 PM

^^^ this. Hey Joe send me an email I sent a Miami fellow over to you today...cheers

ebristol 03-24-2015 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 100% METH (Post 7415550)
Didn't Brian unofficially make somewhere in the ball park of 320whp on the h62?

And 600whp unofficially with a turbo and gutted M62 as IM.

Originally Posted by Area47 (Post 7416779)
I did.

https://i.imgflip.com/j98qi.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7408056)
Hey guys, I finally got to dyno my most current setup.... 299whp 242wtq!!

Awesome! You deserve a bump. When your ready for that next step.

When your baby screams and whines give it the bottle...Nitrous Trifecta GMS3 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

All BS aside there is 20-30whp left in that setup with a smaller pulley and E85. AT LEAST! Not to mention to the TQ gains with a smaller pulley...

But you did it your way and I give you credit for that.

:twothumbs

Staged07SS 03-24-2015 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ebristol (Post 7512591)
And 600whp unofficially with a turbo and gutted M62 as IM.

https://i.imgflip.com/j98qi.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Awesome! You deserve a bump. When your ready for that next step.

When your baby screams and whines give it the bottle...Nitrous Trifecta GMS3 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

All BS aside there is 20-30whp left in that setup with a smaller pulley and E85. AT LEAST! Not to mention to the TQ gains with a smaller pulley...

But you did it your way and I give you credit for that.

:twothumbs

Thanks man!!

Next step is hooking up my 50 shot. Other than that she is complete.

RoelSS 04-14-2015 09:32 PM

Jeff!!, Congrats on those numbers :twothumbs I knew you'd have great results and this proves it right.
Still have the cobalt, on the same mods, and running great! (128k miles and passes smog easily). Actually getting to ready to celebrate our 10th anniversary lol!

Staged07SS 04-15-2015 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by RoelSS (Post 7521774)
Jeff!!, Congrats on those numbers :twothumbs I knew you'd have great results and this proves it right.
Still have the cobalt, on the same mods, and running great! (128k miles and passes smog easily). Actually getting to ready to celebrate our 10th anniversary lol!

Roel!! Great to hear from you, and thanks!!

Glad to see you still have the car. Keep in touch man.