Dyno Results Dyno pictures, videos and dyno results.

Trimming graph using virtual dyno

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Trimming graph using virtual dyno

Anyone know how to? lol I have a big spike on my graph in the beginning and its giving me a ridiculous number cuz of that. I would like to get rid of it so I can get the actual graph.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's quite honestly a bit of a pain to import a log from hptuners into virtual dyno ESPECIALLY if you have a relatively long log with multiple part throttle and wot pulls. There are a couple of ways of doing it but the most straight forward way is basically this (strap in folks, it's a little long and wordy so hang in there.. lol):

Open the log in VCM Scanner
Click the "Scan" Menu up top
Click "Export Data"
Save the file in a location of your liking. I recommend using the same file name as you did for the HPL file for easy reference.

Next, you will need to open a blank excel spread sheet.
In Excel, click the Office button (located in the far upper left hand corner) and click "Open" from the drop box.
When the Open File screen appears, click the drop box in the bottom right that currently says "All Excel Files" and change that to "All Files". If you do not select "All Files" in the drop box, you won't be able to locate the file you just exported from the VCM Scanner.
Next click on the .CSV file you exported and click "Open".

Now comes the fun part.. lol

Note: Depending on your version of Excel, you may be prompted to select a format at this point in which to open the file in. The format you will need is CSV or Comma Delimited.

Once the file opens in Excel (depending on what the log consisted of in HPTuners) you will see a variety of columns (shown as letters up top) representing whatever pids you had selected in your HPL scan file, and a whole bunch of rows (shown as numbers on the side) for every data entry.
What you now need to do is go back to your VCM Scanner (you didn't already close the log file in HPTuners now did you?? ) and find a section in the scan where you went WOT for a long period of time. (preferably within the 3,000rpm to 6500rpm range depending on your vehicle and tune)
Mark on a piece of paper (or just remember) the time stamp at the bottom of the log from the very beginning of the pull where you first went WOT.
Now go back into your Excel spread sheet, select the row # showing "Frame #1" and "Time 00.00.0". The entire row should now be highlighted.
Now with that row highlighted, push and hold down the "Shift" button on your keyboard, and hold the "Down arrow" at the same time. You should now be actively scrolling and selecting a bunch of different rows while holding the down arrow. (You can also use the "Page Down" button as well, but this can scroll extremely fast and you will over shoot your time stamp very easily)
REMEMBER THAT TIME STAMP YOU WROTE DOWN EARLIER
Keep scrolling and selecting the rows (Holding "Shift"+"Down Arrow) and watch the time stamps in column B until you FINALLY get to the time stamp you wrote down earlier from your HPTuners log.
If you over shoot the time stamp it's no big deal. AS LONG AS YOU CONTINUE TO HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT BUTTON YOU CAN SCROLL UP AND DOWN USING THE UP/DOWN ARROWS).
Once you get to your time stamp, highlight up to the row ABOVE your time stamp.
Now you can let go of the shift button but DO NOT TOUCH ANY OTHER KEYS ON THE KEYBOARD OR YOU MAY HAVE TO SCROLL THROUGH AND SELECT EVERYTHING YET AGAIN.
Now with your mouse, RIGHT CLICK anywhere on the highlighted area you just selected and click "Delete".
Poof, you just deleted everything up to your desired time stamp that is not needed.

Next go back to you HPTuners log.
Again you will need to find another time stamp. This time you need to find the time stamp from which you ended that same WOT pull.
Write down the time, and go back into your spread sheet.
Locate that time stamp in the spread sheet, and click the row number right below the last time stamp you recorded from your HPT log.
Again, hold down the "Shift" button on your keyboard but this time hold down the "Page Down" button instead of the "Down Arrow". This will allow for MUCH quicker scrolling/highlighting.
Scroll/highlight all the way down until you no longer see any numbers.
With your mouse "Right Click" on the selected section and click "Delete".
You now should be left with ONLY the WOT pull you will be using in Virtual Dyno.

Now that you have the info you need to make a good dyno graph, it's time to save the data and load it into virtual dyno. (FINALLY!! LOL)
Again, click the "Office Button" in the upper left hand corner.
Click on "Save As" in the drop down box.
Select whatever file name you wish (I usually like to include the HPT file it came from, plus Virtual Dyno in the name so I know it's a dyno run), then make sure to change the "Save As Type" to "CSV (Comma Delimited)".
Click "Save" and there ya go. You can now create a dyno pull in Virtual Dyno.
Now you just need to set up your vehicle profile and settings in Virtual Dyno and you should be on your way.

Again, sorry if this was long but it's really the only way to create a good dyno run in a long HPT log. The absolute easiest thing to do in order to avoid this mess, create a short log with basically ONLY a WOT pull in it and just pop it into Virtual Dyno.

Feel free to ask any questions or if you run into any issues.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 PM

holy **** it looks like this was written by kesha lol so many colors.

well I have a long log and after my long log I did a short one just one pull and thats what I didn't know how to trim lol. basically my pull was in 2nd gear(because I don't know where to start a pull from 3rd gear on a automatic) and it did the pull and shifted to 3rd right before I let off. I just wanted to find a way to trim it so that the 3rd gear doesn't show.

Right now on the graph it shows a spike in the beginning of the graph and then it goes down and starts rising like it would be normal.

Now I am nowhere near close to finishing tuning lol but I was just curious enough to try it out.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

haha.. I did that in attempt to make it easier to read. Not so much huh? lol

Can you take a screen shot of how the dyno graph came out for you? I'd just like to see what you're seeing.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Open the csv file in excell, find the wot pull by scrolling g through the tps / etc column. Now look at rpm to see which row it shifts then starts climbing back up; delete the rows for
The shift point up.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by armcclure
Open the csv file in excell, find the wot pull by scrolling g through the tps / etc column. Now look at rpm to see which row it shifts then starts climbing back up; delete the rows for
The shift point up.
Yeah I wanted to add this, but unfortunately not everyone seems to log pedal and tps position so I wrote it up to assume they don't. This definitely is the easiest way (imo at least) to do it, BUT in a long scan it helps to know where exactly your wot tps % at least starts regardless.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 AM

Sorry been helping my cousin with swapping some headers and a y pipe into his silverado. I will get a screenshot when I get home
Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Name:  20130504_155458_zps22983012.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  144.0 KB

yeah the log doesn't look too accurate -_- lol I have full logs but ill prolly go out today to get another log since I got another revision. But anyways theres the spike I was talking about
Old 05-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its hard to say how accurate it is, this is a 3rd gear pull from 2 nights ago. My tune is still being worked on but it seems close for a 2.7 pulley on 93 pump with bolt ons.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:39 PM

I wanted to do a 3rd gear pull but I think for mine it starts at like 80 and ends at 120 or something and by then my torque is like 0 cuz of automatic lol.

I forgot how I did it but I got it to say around 270whp or so which I still think is a little high but that was the lowest "peak" beside the beginning one
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Twoozofjuice
I wanted to do a 3rd gear pull but I think for mine it starts at like 80 and ends at 120 or something and by then my torque is like 0 cuz of automatic lol.

I forgot how I did it but I got it to say around 270whp or so which I still think is a little high but that was the lowest "peak" beside the beginning one
yeah I think ill be close to 270 once the tune is fully dialed in, I just got my new tune from james but I havent had time to go log it today.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:54 PM

lol i got a new revision last night finally cuz its been drizzling and raining here for the past week which is really rare lol

im hoping for atleast 260whp from mine but i guess well see since im on a conserv tune
Old 05-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Banned

lol i got a new revision last night finally cuz its been drizzling and raining here for the past week which is really rare lol

im hoping for atleast 260whp from mine but i guess well see since im on a conserv tune
well ur already making 500+ lol
Old 05-04-2013, 06:04 PM

jelly...........lol
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the log doesn't look too accurate -_- lol I have full logs but ill prolly go out today to get another log since I got another revision. But anyways theres the spike I was talking about
522hp not bad lol. When 09CobaltSS1 did my log we had a spike over 800 i thionk it was.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Sometimes I load logs with 5 pulls just for the lolz
Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sometimes I load logs with 5 pulls just for the lolz
^^THIS!! haha

Originally Posted by Viceversa10
522hp not bad lol. When 09CobaltSS1 did my log we had a spike over 800 i thionk it was.
800hp?? Pfft.. We hit 1634whp on this bad boy!! Look at that ummm, smooth curve? haha

Name:  GregCsuka_RediculousNumbers_lol_zps0307857c.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  55.3 KB

Here's one a little more realistic cut from the exact same log that made 1634whp.. lol

Name:  GregCsuka_RealisticNumbers_1_zps9c038574.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  60.6 KB
Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 PM

The log I was able to make look realistic looked like that last one but mine said 273 whp at top. Sound realistic? Haha
Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It could be.. lol

Check to make sure your correction factor, vehicle occupancy weight is accurate and sae correction is enabled with the correct ambient air temp entered. Plus with you being on e85 with an LE5 on a 2.9 it's very possible the car moves out pretty nice and makes some pretty decent power.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
It could be.. lol

Check to make sure your correction factor, vehicle occupancy weight is accurate and sae correction is enabled with the correct ambient air temp entered. Plus with you being on e85 with an LE5 on a 2.9 it's very possible the car moves out pretty nice and makes some pretty decent power.
are you suppose to change the air temp from 77 with sae set? I never changed it from 77.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:21 PM

You're supposed to change it to the actual air temp. Different air temp/humidity means different air density, which changed the drag on the car. Everything has to be entered exactly right for this to be even remotely accurate.

What sucks is most of us don't have a scale handy to run our car on right before/after a pull.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Banned

You're supposed to change it to the actual air temp. Different air temp/humidity means different air density, which changed the drag on the car. Everything has to be entered exactly right for this to be even remotely accurate.

What sucks is most of us don't have a scale handy to run our car on right before/after a pull.
I didnt touch the barometer because I have no clue how to check and see what that is but I checked my log and my iat1 was 100 toward the end of the pull do I need that number or what my iat1 was at the start of the pull? it was 80 at the start of the pull and yes I mean the iat1 Iat2 was 130something at the end of pull.

Last edited by Vander Nars; 05-07-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Not iat1. Ambient air temp. You can log both aat and barometric pressure in hpt.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vander Nars
I didnt touch the barometer because I have no clue how to check and see what that is but I checked my log and my iat1 was 100 toward the end of the pull do I need that number or what my iat1 was at the start of the pull? it was 80 at the start of the pull and yes I mean the iat1 Iat2 was 130something at the end of pull.
Would running more water than coolant make my temps move more? I wanna see them go down after a pull. They usually don't move at all like during before or after. The highest ill be is at like 120 on days where its hot.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM

Water transfers heat better than coolant. Supposedly you need a small amount of coolant though to lubricate the pump. Lots if people run straight distilled water with water wetter in the summer with no problems though.