Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

6.5" vs 6"x9"

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.5" vs 6"x9"

Hello! I'm about to change all my speakers. I want to put component Pioneer Stage 3 in fronts. I have a 2010 Cobalt LT without Pioneer system. Is it easy to fit tweeters in A pillars as with Pioneer system? Also, I don't know what to put in rear deck. Some people say a round speaker is better than an oval one. Why? Also, with proper bracket, would it sound better to get another component set and install this in rear deck? Thank you for your answers!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:31 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
depends on the tweeter. im sure you can make em work under the factory grill but it probably wont be pretty or perfect by any means. the reason people say round speakers are better then oval is because when comparing apples to apples a round speaker does sound better. the problem is most times people are comparing apples to oranges and even if they aren't the difference isnt always night and day.

Are you going to amp the speakers? if not then i wouldn't go with a component set in the rears (i wouldn't in the fronts either but hey whatever)
Old 08-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Why not components??? My headunit has a 200W built-in amplifier! It's loud enough for me XD And you are talking about comparing apples to apples. The oval speakers I want are Pioneer Stage 3 and round too. Same speakers, just one oval and the other round!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:10 PM

no headunit has a 200w built in amplifier and wow you really want components huh? coax speakers will be louder since they are more efficient.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 PM

Check out my headunit AVH-P4300DVD - In-Dash 2-DIN DVD Receiver with 7" Widescreen Touch Display and USB Direct Control for iPod®/iPhone® | Pioneer Electronics USA
Built-in amplifier: MOSFET 4x50W
Just stupidly loud for anyone -_-' Volume goes up to 40 and at 20, my ears hurt XD I usually listen at a volume of 12/40!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 PM

And I do not want my system to be loud, I want it CLEAR as crystal! Purity of sound Maybe a little too much poetry... XD
Old 08-19-2011, 10:50 PM

sure and that's sorta what i was going to explain but i figured it wasn't worth the effort or the rambling. That hu is actually a whooping 14w rms per channel and 50w peak. since peak is basically a bs number that companies make up now a days its probably not a good idea to look at it. so you HU and maxed clipped to **** power will give those speakers just under 1/4th the power they can handle. at that point coax or component wont matter bc anything will sound like garbage. my point i was vaguely trying to make is on paper a comp looks better and everyone and their mom wants one because they think it sounds better. but the reality is a comp set "can" sound better but doesn't necessarily mean it will.

when a 6.5 comp set is installed in the same position as a 6X9 coax would be then the only difference is the materials of the speakers the efficiency and the cone. the materials are similar enough since you are comparing the same line of speaker, the efficiency of the coax is almost double that of the comp set and the larger cone area of the coax gives it a volume advantage as well but the oval can decrease the "sq" somewhat. so when you actually weigh the real world differences the comp set doesn't look as attractive anymore.

Overall when your talking about speakers in the exact same position off of a HU then efficiency is king. When you put real clean power from a quality amp then your comp set will pay off but until then your just giving yourself a sugar pill.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:30 AM

So... if I want a component set, I need a good amplifier? The problem is that I don't want to be deaf at 30 years old XD I do not want an 600w amplifier that I will just put at minimum gain...
Old 08-20-2011, 12:39 AM

your stock amp is 260 watts if i remember right. if you want to put a 400 watt in there. little more wattage that will go hand in hand with your component system if you choose. you wanting good mids highs and lows. a decent sub will handle your bass. a good 400 watt amp will handle the rest. just picking the amp is what you are after, then picking speakers meant for that rms range is key. people tell me that my **** sounds really good in my car and it bangs hard. stock door speakers, pioneers in the back and a JL sub matched with a 1000 watt amp. i get great sound with my **** as it is. but what does a drunk guy know? my .02 cents
Old 08-20-2011, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Olivier12444
So... if I want a component set, I need a good amplifier? The problem is that I don't want to be deaf at 30 years old XD I do not want an 600w amplifier that I will just put at minimum gain...
in a round about way ya.

my point is mainly that there's nothing wrong with the co-ax design and in alot of cases they fit the bill just fine. now i cant comment on how good the stage 3 stuff is but alot of companies make quality co-ax's that mop the floor with some comp sets not only in sound but also dollar for dollar. if you want a comp set thou thats fine but the advantage they have over co-ax's is normally negated unless you have an amp to power it. and you dont really need much and you dont have to crank it up but component speakers need more power then a hu can provide period. Plus an amp will give you much cleaner power. and you don't even need an "awesome" amp. the amp in hu's are the bottom of the barrel base smallest amp possible.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:17 AM

@cobalt2010: I don't have the Pioneer system... When I bought my car a year ago, I already knew I was going to change headunit for a touchscreen one!

I just want speakers to sound clearer... So you tell me to go with coaxial speakers? Why then Pioneer sound system has tweeters with 270w amplifier and it sounds great? I don't understand why I need an amplifier and stock system do not need a good one... Sorry if my questions are stupid but I'm trying to understand all this before I buy the speakers! Stock amplifier is 270w... 70w goes to subwoofer... and 200w to other speakers... it is peak power not rms... so 200w to other speakers is bottom line amplifier like I have in my headunit, isn't it? My subwoofer has its own amplifier so it is not powered in any way by my headunit.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:31 AM

@cobalt2010: I don't have the Pioneer system... When I bought my car a year ago, I already knew I was going to change headunit for a touchscreen one! I do not either. i described what i had compared to yours. mine is the same **** as yours.

I just want speakers to sound clearer... So you tell me to go with coaxial speakers? Why then Pioneer sound system has tweeters with 270w amplifier and it sounds great? I don't understand why I need an amplifier and stock system do not need a good one... Sorry if my questions are stupid but I'm trying to understand all this before I buy the speakers! Stock amplifier is 270w... 70w goes to subwoofer... and 200w to other speakers... it is peak power not rms... so 200w to other speakers is bottom line amplifier like I have in my headunit, isn't it? My subwoofer has its own amplifier so it is not powered in any way by my headunit.
first of anything, when you upgrade your HU, you will notice a major difference in sound quality. i know i did. why stock dont need amp is the stock amp is matched for those factory speakers. if you want to unleash full potential and quality sound of the new speakers then you will need a bigger and better amp. and your whole where the wattage goes is wrong, wattage is divided into the system by how many speakers are in the circuit. your subwoofer? did you mention you have one? if you are running a sub. you need a different amp for the sub all its own.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:42 AM

You're right... Just by changing headunit it's night and day... Sound is so much clearer! Highs are so crisp if I compare with stock headunit!!! I have a Bazooka subwoofer with built-in amplifier (I know a lot of people say those subs are ****, but because I don't put volume on max, it sounds really good! Could be a little more direct bass, but it's a ported box so... I should not complain about it XD). If I buy TS-D1720C component speakers for fronts, TS-D1702R for rears and this amplifier: GM-D9500F - Class-FD 4-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier | Pioneer Electronics USA
Would it be ok?
Old 08-20-2011, 01:52 AM

You're right... Just by changing headunit it's night and day... Sound is so much clearer! Highs are so crisp if I compare with stock headunit!!! I have a Bazooka subwoofer with built-in amplifier (I know a lot of people say those subs are ****, but because I don't put volume on max, it sounds really good! Could be a little more direct bass, but it's a ported box so... I should not complain about it XD). If I buy TS-D1720C component speakers for fronts, TS-D1702R for rears and this amplifier: GM-D9500F - Class-FD 4-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier | Pioneer Electronics USA
Would it be ok?
bazookas are good subs to a point. the ported box is not good because they have low power output, therefore you need more wattage to produce the same bass than in a sealed box. my JL is in a sealed box and ive had noise complaints (from people that dont want to hear my sub) and others could hear me from more than 2 blocks away. when i turn it up. but for what you have, your alright. the amp will be all you will ever need. but that is awful expensive for a pioneer. look into clarion. they make really good component speaker amps.
hope that helps
now my drunk ass is goin to bed
Old 08-20-2011, 12:09 PM

Ok... Wanted to stay with Pioneer... That's why I chose those speakers... Maybe I should look at other speakers then :S
Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 PM

why you want pioneer so bad? i would prefer rockford fosgate T1 6.5s with a rockford 450 watt amp and your covered
Old 08-20-2011, 08:57 PM

Have always been satisfied with all Pioneer products... and again with my headunit!