Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Aftermarket gauges

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket gauges

I would like to install one of those 3 gauge pods on the middle of my dash to hold temp, oil press, and voltmeter gauges. Easier to read than scrolling through the info button on the dash. Plus I went on a trip recently and the vehicles alternator went bad. Fortunately the driver had a gauge along with the idiot light that read 10 volts output. Has anyone done this and if so are there pics and instructions here or maybe on YouTube?
Old 10-25-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Installing temperature and voltmeter gauges is sort of redundant and I don't think it would be worth the cost and effort. Your dash displays coolant temp and the idiot light for the alternator will let you know if it isn't charging. But if you want to do it that is up to you.

Oil pressure gauge will need a power source and either a pressure line that runs from the engine clear to the gauge if it is mechanical or an electrical oil pressure sending unit that will send a reading through wires. You can thread these in in any one of your oil galley plug threaded bores. You want to very carefully consider how you want to do this so you don't actually cause a vulnerability in the oil system you are trying to monitor. I don't like the idea of running a line to a mechanical gauge because if something happened to damage the line it could cause you to lose oil pressure. The same is possible with a sending unit but it can be installed much closer to the engine.

A voltmeter gauge is fairly pointless unless you have something special in your electrical system that draws a lot of amps or something but should be the easiest to wire in as all you need to do is tap into the ignition circuit as well as an accessory signal to turn it on and off.

A temperature gauge is also fairly pointless because it can be displayed on the dash and you can just leave the temp display up. I think it would also require you to have a standalone sensor tapped into the coolant system somewhere for a temperature reading unless it is a setup that can get a reading from the OBD or something.

Also I think the 3 gauge pillar pod that installs on he A pillar would be easier to work with than trying to cram all that into the dash cluster area.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts
Also good to think about the possibility of getting oil shot all over your face, with the mechanical gauge.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckabtjr
I would like to install one of those 3 gauge pods on the middle of my dash to hold temp, oil press, and voltmeter gauges. Easier to read than scrolling through the info button on the dash. Plus I went on a trip recently and the vehicles alternator went bad. Fortunately the driver had a gauge along with the idiot light that read 10 volts output. Has anyone done this and if so are there pics and instructions here or maybe on YouTube?
So would it be safe to say nobody has done this? Yes of course I could scroll through the info button selections. But as I said In the quote above. 1. The middle of the dash. 2. Easier than scrolling through the info button menu. 3. Call me paranoid but I want the info right there sort of in front of my face so that I have direct knowledge of what's going on. 4. There is no way I would run mechanical oil or water lines into the cabin of my car. I just wanted to find out if anybody has done this. Another friend blew his motor in his 2012 Kia Optima because the oil ran out. Luckily it was under a factory recall for improperly machined crank bearing surfaces or something like that and he's getting a free motor. And yes he checked the oil before his trip. So if anyone has any info on the gauge install it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
another oil gauge isn't going to prevent what happened to your friend. if you lose pressure due to a leak it's all or nothing, which is what the idiot light shows you. Your pressure won't slowly drop.

People have tapped into the oil galley before. 3 gauge pods have also been done. If the reason for it is peace-of-mind, we're trying to say it's just not worth it. You're adding a failure mode for something that wouldn't really help you anyways.

I literally just saw that someone is selling a 3 gauge A-pillar on here, and it even comes with a voltmeter. You can pick that up if you want.

EDIT: I must've seen it on facebook

Last edited by exninja; 10-26-2017 at 05:33 PM.