Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Audio/Sub gurus...help? Want 8 inch sub(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio/Sub gurus...help? Want 8 inch sub(s)

All right, I posted on another car forum that I belong to, but there just aren't too many car audio enthusiasts there. I know there are at least a few here. Just looking for opinions...obviously everything is subjective based on your own taste...well that's what I want, you taste, your opinions.

As a note, I haven't really been into car audio for probably 5 years. I never had anything great back in the day, but my best setup then was a 10W6v2 hooked to an Alpine MRD-M500. Also tried a W3v2, W0, cheap Pioneer (which honestly sounded pretty good for what it was..definitely better than the W0). I think I had a couple other subs back then too...all were 10's except one that was a 12.

Then, less than a year ago I decided to get started again...I bought the cheap ass Coustic amp thinking I would find a sub to work with...got a hell of a deal on a blown Boston Acoustics G510-44. Found a PAIR of replacement coils on ebay for very little. Those were SVC coils which was fine by me. I picked up a decent Kenwood 2-channel and a .5 farad cap (again for nearly nothing). I used it all for a number of months and decided it was too much. My son complained about it so I turned the gain down to half...didn't sound very good and still was too much.

Decided to sell the setup and made more money than I paid for it.

So here I am...wanting to try again, but I only want 1 8" to start with. Later, maybe I'll add a second and upgrade the amp.

I'm really set on the Polk MM840 unless I get some other opinions.

A side question...I've never built a box before...are there any websites that I can input data or programs I can get for free for this? I remember WinISD back in the day, but not sure if that's still around/used or if there's something else. Not sure I could do a very good job, but I'm willing to try. BTW, only want sealed enclosure.

Otherwise, I'm looking to just pick up a Sound Ordinance prefab for now and call it a day.

Anyway, copy and paste from the other forum:

My plan is to try out some 8's. Not sure what to go with though...a few of the subs I'm considering are:

Sundown E8v2/v3
Image Dynamics ID8 v3
Memphis MClass MCP8S4
Polk MM840

I also looked at RE Audio REx and a few others, but not sure I'd be happy with those. But at only $40 a pop, would be willing to try them.

I don't have any experience with any of these and I haven't seen any in person...only what I see on youtube or read about.

My criteria in looking...has to be an 8. Either 4 ohm SVC or 2 ohm DVC. 150-250w RMS handling (don't really want to go above 250). Built more for quality rather than loudness. I want something that will do well with any tight, quick drum kicks.

I listen to a lot of mixed music. Mainly I listen to classic rock (60's, 70's, little bit of 80's thrown in, but no hair bands...examples...Joe Walsh, The Eagles, Clapton, CCR, Cream, The Who, Guess Who, Pink Floyd, etc, etc, etc.). I also like the heavy rock from the 90's and the EARLY 2000's. I graduated high school in 02 and it seems like a lot of the good hard rock/metal/whatever went away between 02 and 04. Then I do listen to the occasional top 40 type station, a tiny bit of rap, a little electronica/techno/whatever type music.

I'm thinking about trying a single 8 right now with the Coustic amp...if I like it, I'll toss it in the Cobalt for now. When I get the Sonic, my plan is to go with 2 8's in the spare tire area...so right now I'm just looking to buy one sub to try...either build a box or buy a prefab for now...doesn't matter to me. Later, I will add a 2nd sub and then buy a new amp that can handle the pair of subs.

Give me some ideas. THANK YOU!!

I recently saw a Focal 30A1 which was amazing, but I don't want to go with a 12...or even a 10 (25A1)...plus I want to keep it a little cheaper.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Google Harris bass box.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
subd to read later
Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 AM

A note about the OP...I said set on the MM840...not true. Even though I haven't heard any of the subs listed above, in terms of specs, personal interest in trying...it's between the MM840 and a Memphis MClass. Right now it's pretty much a tie between the two. If someone wants to recommend anything else, go ahead. I've read a lot and I've watched videos on youtube, but I have never seen any of these in person.

Should also mention (may be relevant)...I'm currently running Boston Acoustics SC series speakers front and rear (all coax, no components). Pioneer AVH-P3300BT is powering them, no amp, no plan for an amp in the Cobalt for the speakers.

Just playing around with things in this car, hoping to buy either a Sonic RS or an HHR SS this spring/summer and whichever I get, I'll be putting a nice audio setup in.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 AM

i would go sealed if your not looking for too much output. the SQ u gain is well worth it and honestly cant mess up the box if you build it prefab is ok as well. Polk is good. if your looking to try the REx its hit or miss honestly.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 AM

Yeah, definitely looking for a sealed enclosure for two reasons...I don't want the boominess and save space on size.

The REx is only $40 shipped...the Polk is $110 shipped (cheapest I can find right now), Memphis MCP8S4 is $120 shipped (cheapest I can find right now).

Didn't look at ebay at all.

Since looking at dimensions of the prefab, seems pretty straight forward, I just don't have much in terms of tools for woodworking. I have a full chest and then some for automotive tools...lol. I'll do some searching for box building and see what I find...if I can save enough by building I will, otherwise spending $30-50 shipped for a box doesn't bother me.

As a side note, when I bought the G5 and used that, I went sealed...someone told me to try it in a ported for better sound/deeper bass (something like that can't remember what they said...so I did...first time using a ported enclosure). Honestly I didn't like the sound at all in the ported...sealed has always been my choice and probably will continue to be.

Also, I don't have any deadening in the car at all and I'm sure if I just lined the trunk it would be better, but I don't want to put money into the Cobalt...so that's something I'll look into for the next vehicle (definitely not to the extent I saw in another thread here)...was it yours Emperor? 3 layers of brown bread or something? Heavy ass car for sure...lol. Don't want to do that with a 2.2, but maybe an LNF.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 PM

I personally love my Digital Design 1508 8" sub. Several friends have heard it and theyve been impressed that its only an 8 getting 250w rms
Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by 007CobaltLS
Yeah, definitely looking for a sealed enclosure for two reasons...I don't want the boominess and save space on size.

The REx is only $40 shipped...the Polk is $110 shipped (cheapest I can find right now), Memphis MCP8S4 is $120 shipped (cheapest I can find right now).

Didn't look at ebay at all.

Since looking at dimensions of the prefab, seems pretty straight forward, I just don't have much in terms of tools for woodworking. I have a full chest and then some for automotive tools...lol. I'll do some searching for box building and see what I find...if I can save enough by building I will, otherwise spending $30-50 shipped for a box doesn't bother me.

As a side note, when I bought the G5 and used that, I went sealed...someone told me to try it in a ported for better sound/deeper bass (something like that can't remember what they said...so I did...first time using a ported enclosure). Honestly I didn't like the sound at all in the ported...sealed has always been my choice and probably will continue to be.

Also, I don't have any deadening in the car at all and I'm sure if I just lined the trunk it would be better, but I don't want to put money into the Cobalt...so that's something I'll look into for the next vehicle (definitely not to the extent I saw in another thread here)...was it yours Emperor? 3 layers of brown bread or something? Heavy ass car for sure...lol. Don't want to do that with a 2.2, but maybe an LNF.
ya im sure that was mine. second skin is what i used. Ported is good but you really have to get a custom box. but then again my subs are sealed for a reason
Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
I personally love my Digital Design 1508 8" sub. Several friends have heard it and theyve been impressed that its only an 8 getting 250w rms
Have always wondered about DD....never seen them...quite a few on CL locally, but no 8's. And the only "local" dealer is 2 hours away in a college town. Nobody in the Twin Cities is a dealer for them (maybe I should start doing that...lol). Do you know, can you order directly from DD over the phone or something or do you have to go through a dealer?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Have always wondered about DD....never seen them...quite a few on CL locally, but no 8's. And the only "local" dealer is 2 hours away in a college town. Nobody in the Twin Cities is a dealer for them (maybe I should start doing that...lol). Do you know, can you order directly from DD over the phone or something or do you have to go through a dealer?
Pretty sure you can custom order them. Im a fan of theirs on facebook and they are always posting custom DD subs that customers have ordered.

Im running a ported box its 1cf and tuned to 38hz. With 250rms it does a very nice job for an 8. Even on some of the bass tracks it gets lower than I ever wouldve thought an 8 could. My last 8s (long time ago Rockfords back in the 90's...) Would hit hard but could never get real low. This DD 8 gets pretty damn low

Im not looking to replace it as it does a great job. If I did Id consider the sundown. But honestly I heard one in my buddies genesis and maybe it was because of all the sound dampening he had done in that car but my DD felt like it hit harder and louder than the sundown which was getting twice the power.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
out of the chocies giving i would go with the sundown.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 PM

you can only order DD directly if you dont have a dealer with a certain amount of miles. also DD is a ported sub. i think we did one sealed once and it did ok but not awesome
Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM

After looking at their site, I'm not thrilled about them...they look like a good product and I've heard a lot of great stuff, but it just doesn't look like what is in my price range or my wants. Even the 508 takes more power RMS than I'm looking to stay within...and somewhere else I read around $140 plus shipping for the 1508 (not a bad price, but just not in my budget...hoping to spend closer to $100).

And if as Emp says, then it's not really for me as I don't want to go ported anyway.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:18 PM

I would have ordered stuff this week, but I just bought a Panasonic 50" plasma and a few other things totaling about $850 so I won't have money for at least 2 weeks, but probably end of the month because of daycare, preschool, cell phone, and a couple other bills.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:28 PM

After looking at their site, I'm not thrilled about them...they look like a good product and I've heard a lot of great stuff, but it just doesn't look like what is in my price range or my wants. Even the 508 takes more power RMS than I'm looking to stay within...and somewhere else I read around $140 plus shipping for the 1508 (not a bad price, but just not in my budget...hoping to spend closer to $100).

And if as Emp says, then it's not really for me as I don't want to go ported anyway.
Thats fine. Im feeding the 1508 250rms and its been doing fine for a long time. And yeah my box is ported at 1 cubic foot. So it leaves a good amount of trunk space. If your looking for a sealed sub setup I would look at a different brand.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 AM

ya you dont have to give the DD's full RMS but again they are ported spec. lol i remember when they only had the 1500 8 and we used to beg DD for a smaller cheaper 8.... we did so many trucks with custom boxes and 8s it was a little insane. i always remember the one year we ordered a pallet full of RE 8's, i think it was 95 or a 100 and we sold them fast as hell