Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Double Din Navi/DVD player Please give your reviews!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Double Din Navi/DVD player Please give your reviews!!!

Hey everyone! I need your help! I'm considering getting a double din touch screen navi/DVD system for my car. I was wondering if those of you who have then could post up what cha got, your reviews for your system, and any pictures you have. Thanks!!!

Here's the features I definitely want...

1. Navi system (would prefer hard drive or at least being able to put the maps on an SD card instead of DVD's)

2. DVD system

3. Blue tooth capable

4. Touch screen

5. iPod compatible

6. Able to be controlled through the steering wheel controls with the proper adapter (I know this is 99% of the models)

7. XM compatible (preferably with the stock antenna...Is this even possible???)

Also any recommendations on where to purchase these for the best price?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
i have the DDX812.... DNX8120 is the same thing with navi. It is hands down the best double din ever made features wise... best overall is an opinion including looks so pointless
Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 PM

i have this kenwood that does everything...i dnnno the model number but i got it from best buy when it first came out
Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 PM

Well if you want something with a hard drive, check out Pioneer's Z3
It's a dvd, nav, ipod, bluetooth, sirius, xm, back up camera, touch screen, and voice commands... a very versatile unit. The stock xm antenna will work you just have to modify it some.

About the steering controls your gonna need a ASWI-PS, but before you get that you're going to need the harness for your car...and depending on that car it can be costly. Like my wife's 07 Cobalt her harness was about 170 because shes got the pioneer sound system and of course the signature door chimes out of the speakers, but you dont need it if you dont like the chimes
Mom and Pop shops are the best for price but not so much for warrantying the product, so if you like Best Buy, go there.

I went with a AVHP-4000dvd, it doesnt have nav 'cause I own a Garmin. I like the fact that it looks like the old pioneer D3, with all functions....xm, camera, ipod, etc...i dont like the bluetooth option in my case its easier to just answer the damn phone unless your up north like NY where its "illegal"
Hope this was helpful Good Luck
Old 12-04-2008, 09:00 PM

I have an 06 SS/SC with the pioneer sound system but I believe the door chimes don't go through the radio on the 06's so hopefully I"ll luck out there. As far as the hard drive thing goes as long as I can expand it with an SD card I'm happy (you can get an 8GB one on Amazon for about $15 shipped)

Any thoughts on where to buy car stereo equipment at online? I prefer online for big ticket items cause it saves me the sales taxes...

Last edited by Tazmanian_Dvl; 12-04-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ordered the Pioneer F700BT from crutchfield.com, its scheduled to come tomorrow. It DOES NOT have dvd capablilities, but i have an ipod video so that works. the F900BT has a DVD player however. I will be taking pictures of the install tomrrow barring and icy weather b/c my garage is taken up so i have to do it outside, and i will also be taking a video review of the product. I CANT WAIT!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
I have an 06 SS/SC with the pioneer sound system but I believe the door chimes don't go through the radio on the 06's so hopefully I"ll luck out there. As far as the hard drive thing goes as long as I can expand it with an SD card I'm happy (you can get an 8GB one on Amazon for about $15 shipped)

Any thoughts on where to buy car stereo equipment at online? I prefer online for big ticket items cause it saves me the sales taxes...
yup 06 is the easy way out...
Old 12-04-2008, 09:24 PM

Nice!! Can you post a link or a few pics here please?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
Nice!! Can you post a link or a few pics here please?
sure, ill be taking a lot tomorrow if possible. ill start a thread on it to and a how to on Navi install
Old 12-04-2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
i have the DDX812.... DNX8120 is the same thing with navi. It is hands down the best double din ever made features wise... best overall is an opinion including looks so pointless
OK so I really value you're opinion when it comes to this stuff and I was hoping like hell you would see this and respond so I went and checked this out. I found one of these for $899 (seems like a good price from what i can tell). My questions are can I use the USB connectors to control the iPod straight from the head unit (I want to be able to hide the ipod in my glove box and control it straight from the screen) or will I have to buy a separate connector from Kenwood? Second do you have any idea what needs to be modified to use the stock XM antenna and brain with this unit?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM

any unit will require the aftermarket XM piece. I dont think any have sat radio built in. Also same with ipod direct controls most units require a separate connector (like the kenwood) Only one i know of that have the cables in the box are the pioneer premier units but check up on that because im not sure on the double dins.

Honestly look for one that has the features and looks you like. No mistake the 812 and 8120 are the best out there but that doesnt mean they will make you the happiest and most satisfied. Also doesnt mean you need/want all the features. do your research find a few you like and ask about em.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:01 PM

I have the kenwood DNX7120, and i love its alot
Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
any unit will require the aftermarket XM piece. I dont think any have sat radio built in. Also same with ipod direct controls most units require a separate connector (like the kenwood) Only one i know of that have the cables in the box are the pioneer premier units but check up on that because im not sure on the double dins.

Honestly look for one that has the features and looks you like. No mistake the 812 and 8120 are the best out there but that doesnt mean they will make you the happiest and most satisfied. Also doesnt mean you need/want all the features. do your research find a few you like and ask about em.

Yea I checked out the one that you are recommending and it seems to have everything I'm looking for and it looks to me like it will control the iPod but I'm not sure (I really could care less if it plays video on the screen all I really need is the music). I'd really prefer to use the stock XM antenna. Any thought on how I could get that to work with an aftermarket unit? I'd rather not have the stock antenna, the GPS receiver, and another XM antenna all on my roof.

Originally Posted by Dragonsfire12345
I have the kenwood DNX7120, and i love its alot
Will it let you control your iPod on screen just by plugging the iPod into the USB ports coming out the back or did you have to buy a separate adapter?

Last edited by Tazmanian_Dvl; 12-04-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 PM

u need a seperate adapter for ipod direct... USB isnt the same plug as an ipod. But it does have audio and video
Old 12-04-2008, 10:27 PM

I was thinking if I use the USB cord that came with the iPod that you plug into the computer to charge it and sync it that it might work???