Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

few more system questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question few more system questions

Okay guys you were a lot of help before, but i have a few more questions. And here it goes. I was looking in the FAQ and this is what it says about the LAN harness:

Metra= non pioneer = GMOS-LAN-03
pioneer = GMOS-LAN-04 *retains onstar*
Pac= C2R-GM11 *without onstar*

I have a Kenwood DNX5120, so I assume that I need the Metra GMOS-LAN-03. But it doesn't say that it retains Onstar. I read through the FAQ of others posts but no one was for certain that it retained Onstar. That is my only reason for getting it.

And I know I asked this before but I want to confirm again. If I just kept the stock system (unplug stock sub) and ran the RCA's back and hooked up the new subs, the stock amp will run the stock speakers and the new amp will run the subs correct? Is there anything else involved?

Do I need the wire harness and antenna harness if I use the GMOS-LAN?

I have a 2009 SS, so the Metra 95-3302 is the double din kit I need correct? Which is this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...5fInstallation . So it looks like the outside rims of this mount to the back trim piece of the factory radio, if that makes any since. Is this correct?

When you remove the stock sub, there still the carpeted material behind, or are there any metal brackets that show?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 AM

i do not know but good choice of color
Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok lets try and make some sense out of this.
Do you have an SS with onstar and NO Pioneer system?
Cuz that would be the only reason to get the GMOS LAN 03 (its even typed beside it in your post)

But then you say you have the stock sub, so then you do have the Pioneer system.
In which case you need the GMOS LAN 04 (once again you have already stated this in your post)

The GMOS LAN in the wire harness so I'm not sure why you wouldn't need it but the ant adapter is a seperate item and yes you need it. (If you have XM radio then you need the Chrysler ant. adapter, I know it doesn't make sense but it works)

The 95-3302 is the right one, no it does not mount to the back trim of the factory radio. Once you get the radio out you will see exactly how it goes in, its really easy as trim kits go.

The LAN 04 dconverts the signal wires from the stock harness into RCA's so they plug into the Kenwoods RCA outs. This is what makes it possible to run the stock amp with aftermarket HU's so yes the Kenwood will run your stock amp.

There is carpet behind the sub and the only thing that sticks out will be 4 bolts. You can take them out if you pull down the carpet, they are held in with tabs that can be removed. Or you could use the 4 bolts to mount an amp rack for your sub amp, since they are already there for you to use.

Your going to need a 10mm deep socket and a 6-8 inch extension for the rachet in order to remove the stock sub.

The 4 bolts that hold the radio in are 7mm or 9/32 and a piece of flat plastic or a panel remover to remove the trim above the glove box and to the left of the stereo, once there out then put your fingers behind the top of the trim around the radio and pull it out then remove the 4 screws and thats all it takes to remove the stock radio.

I've done it a few times now but the whole process takes me less than 5 mins. Even on your first try it should only take 20 mins give or take.

Important reminder: unhook the battery before you do anything, or you'll blow a fuse
Old 12-23-2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
Ok lets try and make some sense out of this.
Do you have an SS with onstar and NO Pioneer system?
Cuz that would be the only reason to get the GMOS LAN 03 (its even typed beside it in your post)

But then you say you have the stock sub, so then you do have the Pioneer system.
In which case you need the GMOS LAN 04 (once again you have already stated this in your post)

The GMOS LAN in the wire harness so I'm not sure why you wouldn't need it but the ant adapter is a seperate item and yes you need it. (If you have XM radio then you need the Chrysler ant. adapter, I know it doesn't make sense but it works)

The 95-3302 is the right one, no it does not mount to the back trim of the factory radio. Once you get the radio out you will see exactly how it goes in, its really easy as trim kits go.

The LAN 04 dconverts the signal wires from the stock harness into RCA's so they plug into the Kenwoods RCA outs. This is what makes it possible to run the stock amp with aftermarket HU's so yes the Kenwood will run your stock amp.

There is carpet behind the sub and the only thing that sticks out will be 4 bolts. You can take them out if you pull down the carpet, they are held in with tabs that can be removed. Or you could use the 4 bolts to mount an amp rack for your sub amp, since they are already there for you to use.

Your going to need a 10mm deep socket and a 6-8 inch extension for the rachet in order to remove the stock sub.

The 4 bolts that hold the radio in are 7mm or 9/32 and a piece of flat plastic or a panel remover to remove the trim above the glove box and to the left of the stereo, once there out then put your fingers behind the top of the trim around the radio and pull it out then remove the 4 screws and thats all it takes to remove the stock radio.

I've done it a few times now but the whole process takes me less than 5 mins. Even on your first try it should only take 20 mins give or take.

Important reminder: unhook the battery before you do anything, or you'll blow a fuse
Aparently I misunderstood what it ment when it said Pioneer and Non-Pioneer. I thought that this would be the new unit going in, not the unit already in the car. I DO have the Pioneer System in my car.

"The GMOS LAN in the wire harness so I'm not sure why you wouldn't need it but the ant adapter is a seperate item and yes you need it. (If you have XM radio then you need the Chrysler ant. adapter, I know it doesn't make sense but it works)"

I dont really understand what this means. I think it means that I do not need the wireharness, and that the GMLAN is the wire harness. And I have XM but do not plan on using it after the trial is up, so do I still need a chrysler harness, and if so which one?

You said that the LAN04 converts the signal to RCAS which plug into the RCA outs of the Kenwood. Which RCA outs?

This sounds like Im not going to be able to do the install myself, and that it is harder than it looks.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:35 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
the gm lan 04 is the name of the harness.

if you don't plan on paying for xm forget about it. Interfacing it with the new radio is going to cost you some change anyway so just make life easier and don't think about it.

the chrysler ant adapter is for the AM/FM antenna in your car. Without the adapter you cant plug the antenna into the new radio. If you want to listen to the radio you will need this antenna adapter
Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
the gm lan 04 is the name of the harness.

if you don't plan on paying for xm forget about it. Interfacing it with the new radio is going to cost you some change anyway so just make life easier and don't think about it.

the chrysler ant adapter is for the AM/FM antenna in your car. Without the adapter you cant plug the antenna into the new radio. If you want to listen to the radio you will need this antenna adapter

so let me get this straight...the gmlan04 has the stereo harness and xm harness built in? then you need the antenna adapter for the regular antenna?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:49 AM

no the gm lan has nothing to do with xm. to recive xm you need the $70 xm box for kenwoods along with the antenna

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_319950/...wAll=N&tp=6953
Old 12-24-2008, 12:38 PM

no the gm lan has nothing to do with xm. to recive xm you need the $70 xm box for kenwoods along with the antenna

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_319950/...wAll=N&tp=6953
okay so, the only things ill need to install an aftermarket headunit are the gmoslan04, mounting kit, and antenna adapter? correct? and which antenna adapter is it? i plan on using am/fm, but not xm.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:30 PM

If you want to listen to XM or not doesn't make a diiference.
Its the style of plug that you have, that all the XM stock HU's had.

You need the Chyrsler ant adapter.
The part numbers are in the sticky at the top of the section.

Just by what you posted, and don't get offended, but you really should have this done by a shop or an experianced installer. You could screw more than the stereo up if you do something wrong.
Better safe than sorry
Old 12-25-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
If you want to listen to XM or not doesn't make a diiference.
Its the style of plug that you have, that all the XM stock HU's had.

You need the Chyrsler ant adapter.
The part numbers are in the sticky at the top of the section.

Just by what you posted, and don't get offended, but you really should have this done by a shop or an experianced installer. You could screw more than the stereo up if you do something wrong.
Better safe than sorry

I understand and no offense taken. These new cars are a pain in the rear, I could put a systems in the older ones all day. I think I will be able to handle it, my brother will be helping me on it, the deal was that I just had to do the research and see what was needed. Thank you guys so much for your help, and I appreciate your time.

PS. Do you have any other pics of your tailights than the ones in your sig you could send me? I was thinking about getting some. Did you get those from turbotechracing? Oh and maybe a pic of the projectors too .
Old 12-25-2008, 06:14 PM

I got them from IPCW
http://www.inprocarwear.com/
The projectors are 2nd generation CCFL's with 6000k HID's (Ebay)

Old 12-25-2008, 06:33 PM

umm, **** yeah. those are tight. did you replace your fogs? I already have the stereo system from my last car, and after that goes in, I was gonna get the led tails and some projectors with HIDs
Old 12-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Yeah
The fogs are PIAA 004 XT Extremes (4300k)
Old 12-27-2008, 10:14 PM

is there a difference between the gmos04 and the gmoslan04
Old 12-28-2008, 12:55 AM

yes.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 AM

i puchased a gmoslan04 and recieved a gmos 04, and it doesnt have rcas. thank you. will try to send back
Old 12-28-2008, 11:54 PM

my dnx 5120 has 6 rca outputs. Left and Right of course, but they are marked AV Output, Rear/SUB, Front. With the GMOS-Lan-04 I understand that there are 4 rcas, one for each speaker. I plan on putting in some aftermarket subs. I know how to hook the front left and right up, but for the rear can I hook them up to the L+R marked "av output"?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:59 PM

the 512 should have a front rear and sub. hook up the front and rear to the harness and the sub-out to the subs
Old 12-29-2008, 07:08 AM

Is the sub out a single (mono) cable on the Kenwoods or is it a normal L+R (stereo) preout?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 AM

the 512 should have a front rear and sub. hook up the front and rear to the harness and the sub-out to the subs
im not sure what you mean by that. im not trying to sound completly stupid here but lol im no expert by any means.

spun, its a regular left and right

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/f...8/Untitled.jpg heres a pic of the back of the unit

Last edited by dnasty88; 12-29-2008 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 AM

just looked up some info on your deck you had me all confused. the av output is just that an output for an extra screen

the 512 only has 2 preouts one set for the front and one set thats adjustable rear or sub so whats more important to you sub control or fade from front to rear?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:16 AM

If it were up to me (which its not) I'd Y jack the front pre-out and use the rear/sub for the sub out.

Personally If I have to choose between loosing my F-R fade or loosing the ability to ajust my sub from the HU, then the I can live without the fade. The Sub volume control is a must. I know your not really suposed to play with the sub settings from the HU, but some freq. of bass bring out the rattles, only way to combat them is to turn the subs down a bit.

Damn rattling Cobalts, I did however find a latex-based rather than polyurethane-based expanding foam that does not harden into styrofoam like mono foam does.Its made by DAP it won't over expand and is rubbery, almost soft to the touch even when weeks have gone by since I applied it to the inside of a little metal lock box to test it out. Thinking about trying it in the rear decklid between the two sheets of metal. If that don't work I'm bringing out the torch and cutting the whole decklid out

When you get your GMOS LAN 04 in, before you install it, on one side of the little black box thats part of the harness there is a set of jumpers (like on a mother board or a hard drive) and a little round knob that has grooves cut into it. Put a small flat head screw driver into the knob and turn it clock wise a far as it can go. This is the volume control for the unit and it needs to be up or your front end will be quiet. Its going to make your warning chimes loud at the same time but you'll just have to learn to put your seat belt on quick, before they kick in.
Its like I always say, sometimes you have to sacrifice for the greater good
Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 PM

just looked up some info on your deck you had me all confused. the av output is just that an output for an extra screen

the 512 only has 2 preouts one set for the front and one set thats adjustable rear or sub so whats more important to you sub control or fade from front to rear?
sub control is more important than fade. but i dont understand about what spun said about y jacking? is that like some kind of y splitter, which the 2 fronts L+R get split into 2 each with a RCA Y wire, thus eliminating the fade?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Yep
It will have 1 male and two female connectors on it, you will need 2 Y adapters to run the whole front end off of the front preout on the HU. Plug one into the Left(White) and one into the Right (Red)
It looks like this
Old 12-29-2008, 01:50 PM

thanks so much

Quick Reply: few more system questions