Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

help le5 to l61 swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help le5 to l61 swap

ok so here is the deal my newly ex wife slung 2 rods through the side of the block in her 08 hhr 2.2l
i have to help her fix the dang thing because she is helpless and broke. so i went to the local salvage yard and pulled a 2.2l l61 from a 04 malibu thinking it would interchange directly well that was before i discover the differences between the gen1 and gen2 stuff so i thought ok ill just go grab the harness and ecu from the donor and swap them both out well got them back and now i have to figure out what to do i cant find and fuse block connector pinouts for either car and i am unsure what to do with the tcm for the 4t45e trans i know the malibu trans was controlled by the ecm and the hhr has a seperate tcm do i use the tcm or the ecm and i have no idea what else the e37 ecu controls inside the car that the older one cant . do i need to leave the hhr ecm in place and wire the malibu ecm in as a stand alone or what??? any help would be appreciated and i would love to not spend any more money on her dumb a** if at all possible and i know most people want to go from l61 to le5(i think its the le5 but idk its the 2.2l) not vice versa but maybe some can help lol
so to sum all this up i need to know if i should use the whole malibu engine harness and remove the hhr harness or frankenstien them together i have messed with the vortec v8 harness stuff just not these engines and i have not been able to find any diagrams for the malibu and hhr

Last edited by Jeffordsra; 12-05-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: clarifcation
Old 12-05-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
just want to clear up a couple things here

le5- 2.4l ecotec. not the engines your working with
lap- 2.2l with vvt, 2009+ cobalt/g5/hhr
l61- there are 2 versions
early- 2002 to 2006, had 7x crank trigger, no cam sensors and cassette ignition
late- 2007 to 2008, 58x crank trigger, cam sensor and coil on plug ignition.

the biggest thing doing this swap is your talking 2 different generations of gm computers. the ecm isnt likely going to communicate with the other modules in the car. the malibu also doesnt have electronic throttle, so the ecm you have there isnt going to run that. you might be able to make something half work, but its not going to be simple at all.

i have a couple options that come to mind, although they all involve a significant amount of work or some money.
1)pull the motor back out, take it back to the salvage yard and make them return it as they sold you the wrong engine (their interchange system would have told them this) and get the correct 2007-2008 engine
2)grab the wiring harness and ecm/tcm from a 2006 hhr 2.2l auto, this will run the engine you have and should communicate with the bcm, abs, airbag modules, etc. you should only have to do a security relearn to get it to work.

ive seen this sort of mix up before, its never an easy fix and the best way to fix it is to use the right components. i know its your ex and you just want her out of your life, but its not going to happen if you half ass it and it keeps having problems.