Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Help! Subwoofer wiring

Old 02-20-2017, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help! Subwoofer wiring

Both speakers are wired excatly like this for a 2 ohm load.
Speaker one sucessfully running at 2 ohm load.
Speaker two running at unknown Kilo-ohms?! Constantly variable, the number seen is always jumping/scrambling.

Surly the speakers aren't possesed or demonic. I mean there's a good chance with my luck.

The real question here is am I able to wire them so they both give off 2 ohms or is SPEAKER 2 broken or just FUBAR. Not a substantial loss if it is because I bought them for 90$ close to 5 years ago.

I have a Kenwood eXcelon X500-1 amplifier class D. Capable of 300W RMS @ 4 ohms -OR- 500W RMS @ 2 ohms. 1000W peak power. I would really like to use it if I could. If not I will buy another amp but I will need help selecting one.

If SPEAKER 2 is alright then I will be buying another X500-1 and wire the both of them like in this picture:
If I wired them like this I would also need a new headunit capable of handling 2 subwoofer inputs. My current headunit is the JVC KD-R720.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:52 PM

Answering my own question. Well well well. Would you look at that.

Found a broken voice coil was a culprit. Would I be able to put a heat sink on the cable and resolder it back onto the tab?

If I can't fix it I'll be sour. But if it is fixable, I should just be able to put a pair of pliers with a rubber band around the handle to keep them held down tight, to act as a heat sink. Then go ahead and solder the end of the wire back on to the small tab that is on the bottom of the positive terminal....shouldn't I?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 PM

Soldered the voice coil back on. Still a little jumpy when I test with the multimeter but here and there I will get a stable 3.9 up to 4.4 ohms so I think it is fixed !

Search this Thread