Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

JRANGER Starts His Fiberglass Sub Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool i am also ready for tomorrow as well, installing new led underglow kit, custom grill, painting dash and brake calipers, cant wait !
Old 03-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mygirlscobalt
hey i hate to be the bearer of bad news but take a look at the pics for post number 80, if you can see that much sunlight comins through the fiberglass your box isnt anywhere thick enough and its going to flex alot and not give you the best sound. so id get back to sanding and add more layers.. how many did you put on anyway?? you should have at least 7 or 8 layers especially for a box that size
yeah just because you see light coming through fiber glass doesn't mean ****. how many fg boxes have u done? if you lay fiberglass right without bubbles it's almost see through, well depending on how thick. but it's always gonna allow light through if there's no paint etc. on it. and the layering all depends upon if you use 3/4oz mat or 1.5 oz. it's not about the layers so much as to if it flexes or not. yeah im sorry but ur totally wrong about his box. it looks pretty dam thick.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:50 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
hey impluse what do u think of crazy thick mat? i was looking at some 40oz stuff a while back but asked a few FG wizzards and they both said basiclly **** no
Old 03-15-2008, 09:06 AM

Hey emporer I cn find out some info if you wnt but my friend who tught me who to do fiberglass in the first place use some type of different fiberglassing stuff and actually stretches across the box nd then resins it. Then sands it down and he needs no more layers because its so thick...let me know if you want me to get more info
Old 03-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
hey impluse what do u think of crazy thick mat? i was looking at some 40oz stuff a while back but asked a few FG wizzards and they both said basiclly **** no
yeah dude i don't think ive even heard of 40 oz mat. Maybe there is, and i guess if there is I haven't heard of it because no one uses it. there's no reason to use that. plus there's no way to do contoured shapes. If you are doing a fg enclosure etc. and there are alot of complicated curves, you're gonna wanna use 3/4 oz mat. and on the flat big areas use the 1.5 oz mat. Obviously you want to try and use 2 times the layers in spots with the 3/4 oz mat so that it's somewhat level with the 1.5oz areas. besides that the 40oz mat would probably never be fully soaked through unless you infused it in a vacuum bag. there's absolutely no reason for it.

Originally Posted by JRANGER
Hey emporer I cn find out some info if you wnt but my friend who tught me who to do fiberglass in the first place use some type of different fiberglassing stuff and actually stretches across the box nd then resins it. Then sands it down and he needs no more layers because its so thick...let me know if you want me to get more info
that's not really a good idea bro. i will guarantee you that **** flexes. if he tells you it doesn't it's bullshit. also fiber glass doesn't stretch, period. he is probably taking a thick felt etc. and wetting it out. if he thinks that's strong enough to support and take the pounding of a real sub he's got another thing coming. no offense to your friend dude but it sounds like he's a beginner.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by impulseballer
yeah dude i don't think ive even heard of 40 oz mat. Maybe there is, and i guess if there is I haven't heard of it because no one uses it. there's no reason to use that. plus there's no way to do contoured shapes. If you are doing a fg enclosure etc. and there are alot of complicated curves, you're gonna wanna use 3/4 oz mat. and on the flat big areas use the 1.5 oz mat. Obviously you want to try and use 2 times the layers in spots with the 3/4 oz mat so that it's somewhat level with the 1.5oz areas. besides that the 40oz mat would probably never be fully soaked through unless you infused it in a vacuum bag. there's absolutely no reason for it.

that's not really a good idea bro. i will guarantee you that **** flexes. if he tells you it doesn't it's bullshit. also fiber glass doesn't stretch, period. he is probably taking a thick felt etc. and wetting it out. if he thinks that's strong enough to support and take the pounding of a real sub he's got another thing coming. no offense to your friend dude but it sounds like he's a beginner.

i think he said its a fleece

with 3 hours of work in this morning here is the progress so far

Last edited by JRANGER; 03-15-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-15-2008, 02:32 PM

Just thinking about all that sanding is making me lazy. Keep it up.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:37 PM

about to uplod more photos

Ok so now I hve become very content with how smooth the box is for a 60 grit paper

So that being said I have primed the box with sandable paper before I move on to the next grit so I can see all the pitfalls and hih and low points....

Last edited by JRANGER; 03-15-2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-15-2008, 02:50 PM

Lookin good man cant wait to see it done..
Old 03-15-2008, 03:07 PM

heres another...it started to rain so i had to bring her in

WOW I just realized I strted this box 8 months ago...Granted I did nothing for 6 months due to my situations and what not.but this is where 2 months of weekend work has gotten me if you look at it that way

Last edited by JRANGER; 03-15-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Banned

cheater!!! u using a hand sander lol. i hand sanded mine with blocks!! lol just watch out with those things man they can easily leave ur box uneven and do more harm then good. hmm where'd u learn to use that guide coat lol? jk...it's looking good bro. just in case you don't get the exact finish you want there's a way to get a sick finish done by hiding up some areas. if you go to pep boys etc. and use sprayable truck bed liner on the box it looks nasty. just an option for down the road.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM

notice the last pic....to the right of the box.....and yes a masta...high low primer is due to you sir.. Next phase higher grit will be done with the block

that does look pretty sick...I wonder if I painted it with that...then primered it...then painted it the color I wanted...hmm that could save some time......lol well if it comes down to it I may but im going to stick with the plan for now

O and I hate sanding if I had to hand sand this whole box the entire time I would never finish.....especially with this box.. I have powered sanded the **** out of this thing
Old 03-16-2008, 10:29 PM

Well no major work was done today because I was lazy and didnt feel great because I didnt get home and goto sleep until 8am this morning and ended up getting up at 10am. Naturally I didnt want to do anything. So all I did today was fill in some pinholes and sand it with some more 60 grit. I also ran over it a little with the 320 grit. Couple more pinholes to fill and actually I need to cut the bottom and back edges off to even it out with the frame. I hope to have this unit fully sanded and ready for paint over the next 2 weekends

lol Rough estimate is the volume of my box is 6cuft so yea I need to port it

Last edited by JRANGER; 03-16-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned

Well no major work was done today because I was lazy and didnt feel great because I didnt get home and goto sleep until 8am this morning and ended up getting up at 10am. Naturally I didnt want to do anything. So all I did today was fill in some pinholes and sand it with some more 60 grit. I also ran over it a little with the 320 grit. Couple more pinholes to fill and actually I need to cut the bottom and back edges off to even it out with the frame. I hope to have this unit fully sanded and ready for paint over the next 2 weekends

lol Rough estimate is the volume of my box is 6cuft so yea I need to port it
not necessarily dude...you can do what i did. and get expanding foam in a can from home depot. tip the box over on each side and fill the sides completely up with the foam. let it harden and flip to other side and repeat. use it until you get the right volume.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:56 PM

impulse any suggestions for where to get ports...I need to put 2 4" x 7.25 ports in this box and they are going in the center

not necessarily dude...you can do what i did. and get expanding foam in a can from home depot. tip the box over on each side and fill the sides completely up with the foam. let it harden and flip to other side and repeat. use it until you get the right volume.
sounds like something I would screw up lol and besides non port Volume for my subs is 1.5 so I would have to cut the entire box down to 3"

Last edited by JRANGER; 03-16-2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Banned

impulse any suggestions for where to get ports...I need to put 2 4" x 7.25 ports in this box and they are going in the center

sounds like something I would screw up lol and besides non port Volume for my subs is 1.5 so I would have to cut the entire box down to 3"
just build ports. make them rectangular and make cutouts to install.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 AM

no what you want is some good areo ports.... they are called precision port and can be found on http://www.psp-inc.com/ or sometime parts express has them on sale (they usually always carry them thou)
Old 03-17-2008, 01:06 AM

Why do you think you need to port it? Large volume sealed enclosures are actually good for SQ applications. By the way, your enclosure looks much better than it did in earlier pics! If you want to make minor flaws less noticeable, paint it with flat paint.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Banned

no what you want is some good areo ports.... they are called precision port and can be found on http://www.psp-inc.com/ or sometime parts express has them on sale (they usually always carry them thou)
it's really not that hard to build ports. plus you can change the port size etc. just as easy. it's up to him if he want to buy a premade and cut it etc. or just make one. ranger i would definitely port it though
Old 03-17-2008, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn i just measure the space i have to do my box.. it's gonna be weird... you and impulse are real inspirations for me...

how the hell do you find out the cu ft of the box when it's shaped weird?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by elecblue06
damn i just measure the space i have to do my box.. it's gonna be weird... you and impulse are real inspirations for me...

make a 1ft by 1ft by 1ft cardboard box and fill it with tiny peanuts. and keep dumping that into ur box. every dump is 1cuft. get it?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make a 1ft by 1ft by 1ft cardboard box and fill it with tiny peanuts. and keep dumping that into ur box. every dump is 1cuft. get it?
lol huh yea thats not a bad idea lol cuz mine is going to be a really odd shape.. where are yo ulocated again impulse l wanna give me a hand
Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 AM

ya thats pretty much what ive been told... it was some crazy stuff to make boats or something
Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 AM

just build ports. make them rectangular and make cutouts to install.
Im considering making my own...I could always just goto homedepot and pick up some pvc pipe...

Well I might just buy the aero port 4" kit for $15...Since it comes with 2 flares I can just cut it and make 2 ports and falre it on the front. We will see I will have to make a trip to home depot first

Thanks guys

Originally Posted by elecblue06

Thank impulse..I had been wanting to build a FG box forever and never would get off my lazy ass to do it until I saw his thread. Then I mimicked his initial start and went to town. Im just glad I had enough money to get back to work on this because it has been killing me looking at this box just sitting around the house. Good luck....O and a little word of advice. Think it through first and dont do what I did with the speaker rings. Make the speaker rings like impulse did where you have to rings a big ring on the bottom your subs connects to the a ring of the same diameter on top of that ring that will make the entire circumfence of the sub. That way you dont have to work about cutting of smoothing the surface for the sub. It will just be a nice flush fit. Trust me the other way is a pain in da ass. Its like m buddy says....the 6 P's Proper Preperation Prevents **** Poor Performance

Last edited by JRANGER; 03-17-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 AM

Looks heavy and messy.

Quick Reply: JRANGER Starts His Fiberglass Sub Box