Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Need some technical assistance

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need some technical assistance

I took apart a hansfree headset for my phone to rewire it and once I cut the microphone wire, I reconnected it and it doesn't work for some reason. How can this be? The is a white wire and a bare wire and both are connected correctly?

I have been going crazy trying to figure this out for 12 hours now.

TIA
Old 10-30-2006, 01:19 PM

Take it to a Pro...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:24 PM

Did you burn the coating off of the white wire and the bare one? They put a protective coating(and not the obvious plastic one) on these wires to keep them from grounding each other. Unless you burn it off, and solder it back and then prevent the wiring from touching each other you aren't going to get it to work. A picture would be great, but it sounds to me like you're going to need a few more tools to do the job.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
Did you burn the coating off of the white wire and the bare one? They put a protective coating(and not the obvious plastic one) on these wires to keep them from grounding each other. Unless you burn it off, and solder it back and then prevent the wiring from touching each other you aren't going to get it to work. A picture would be great, but it sounds to me like you're going to need a few more tools to do the job.
No actually I have just about every tool I could possibly need including a soldering iron. I'm not sure if there is a coating on these wires, but I will definitely go ahead and solder them to one another or a small circuit board to find out. Excellent thought though. Thanks. I know the speaker output wires have a coating on them because one is red and one is blue.

I'll give it a try.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
Take it to a Pro...
Yeah, because a pro can do a great deal more than I can...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
Thanks a great deal bro. That was the problem. I went ahead and coated the ends with solder and tapped the leads together and it worked great. The simple mic amp I built last night also works great. I'm gonna upload some pics so you guys can see my success. Thanks for all the help.

-Josh
Old 11-01-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LSJ PUP
Thanks a great deal bro. That was the problem. I went ahead and coated the ends with solder and tapped the leads together and it worked great. The simple mic amp I built last night also works great. I'm gonna upload some pics so you guys can see my success. Thanks for all the help.

-Josh
So the volume is good now?

I don't think a pro would have been able to help you. Sounds like you are more then capable of doing this stuff yourself. You should write up a how-to when you're done...