Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

New speakers or head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New speakers or head unit?

Quick question for you guys. I may be asking for more of an opinion, I don't know.

I have the 6-speaker PIONEER system w/ subwoofer in my Cobalt. But I wanted to get a tiny bit more bass and clearer sound WITHOUT changing the subwoofer & amp. If I do that, with the amount of money I'm spending, I might as well replace the whole damn thing. BUT...I don't have that kind of money.

I know the headunit can only send so much power, is it worth it to just change a few speakers? Will that improve clarity or bass, even a little?

I've searched the forums, but I'm looking for a little more opinion on this one topic...
Old 07-14-2006, 12:42 PM

Jeez, don't all of you try to help me at once now...

I'm starting to get that "not-so-important" feel.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:50 PM

i say change the speakers just because i really like our radios....haha
Old 07-14-2006, 01:02 PM

Nah get a new deck...u'll notice the difference rite away by giving them that much more power. Just an FYI tho, say goodbye to your sub if u put the deck in.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:03 PM

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, I think our radios tie in nicely...

I just don't know how much of a change the speakers are gonna make. I mean, these are Pioneer speakers designed specifically for the cobalt. That's probably the best they're gonna play with that head unit, in which, I hope not.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by PatDamanCobalt
Nah get a new deck...u'll notice the difference rite away by giving them that much more power. Just an FYI tho, say goodbye to your sub if u put the deck in.
That really sucks! So I guess I really have no choice but to change some speakers, unless I want to go all out on this thing...
Old 07-14-2006, 01:06 PM

I just put in a new deck (pioneer 580mp), kept stock speakers so far, sounds noticeably better so i would go that route for now, and the controls you get with a good deck really help
Old 07-14-2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by NoleafClover
I just put in a new deck (pioneer 580mp), kept stock speakers so far, sounds noticeably better so i would go that route for now, and the controls you get with a good deck really help
I really don't want to lose my subwoofer tho, and then on top of that, I'd have to find a compatible deck to work with my steering wheel controls, and the fact that the deck might not match with anything at all. God, I sound like a woman complaining right now...lol

EDIT: No offense to the women!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:17 PM

u could just run new speakers and run a amp to them
Old 07-14-2006, 01:26 PM

Dammit, I forgot changing the head unit would result in extra trouble with the DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER, DIC, whatever the hell it is...

So, I don't think that's happening anytime soon. I didn't buy this car to get problems, if I wanted that, I would've bought something used.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ReggaeRampage
Dammit, I forgot changing the head unit would result in extra trouble with the DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER, DIC, whatever the hell it is...

So, I don't think that's happening anytime soon. I didn't buy this car to get problems, if I wanted that, I would've bought something used.
Thats a myth homie...puttin deck in car has absolutely no effect on your DIC
Old 07-14-2006, 02:07 PM

Yeah...has absolutely no effect...mine works well and dandy with new deck, everything works just fine, this isnt nearly the hassle that GM has made it for other vehicles...
Old 07-14-2006, 02:46 PM

Alright, good stuff, one less thing to worry about.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:55 PM

i have stock Pioneer system speakers and a new Panasonic headunit...the 50w x4 it pushes out makes sooo much difference. Plus the added features are nice (wma support, ipod support, etc.). I'd say get a nice headunit

And the sub still works and sounds great, its a great well rounded sound. Good highs and a decent thump but not car rattling.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:00 PM

well if i were you...i'd stop and ask myself... do i NEED a NEW DECK??? if nothing is wrong with it.... go buy brand new speakers! the ones in our cars are ok... but if you change them out you'lll notice a huge difference! it's basically a trade off..... do you want sweet sounding/crisp/clear tunes or do you want the look of an aftermarket stereo that will still sound the same! well hope everything turns out fine. this is just my $.02
Old 07-14-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by vic_romano
i have stock Pioneer system speakers and a new Panasonic headunit...the 50w x4 it pushes out makes sooo much difference. Plus the added features are nice (wma support, ipod support, etc.). I'd say get a nice headunit

And the sub still works and sounds great, its a great well rounded sound. Good highs and a decent thump but not car rattling.
So...as long as I get a Panasonic head unit, it should be fine? What model exactly did you get? And does it work with the steering wheel controls?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mike_06_SS
well if i were you...i'd stop and ask myself... do i NEED a NEW DECK??? if nothing is wrong with it.... go buy brand new speakers! the ones in our cars are ok... but if you change them out you'lll notice a huge difference! it's basically a trade off..... do you want sweet sounding/crisp/clear tunes or do you want the look of an aftermarket stereo that will still sound the same! well hope everything turns out fine. this is just my $.02
Yeah, I thought about that. It would be nice to have an input for my iPOD. And my factory head unit doesn't support MP3's. So it would actually make sense to get a head unit. I just don't want to end up paying so much for something when it MAY affect other things, like my subwoofer...
Old 07-14-2006, 05:01 PM

personally, i would buy new speakers
aftermarket HU's are a pain in the ass, plus they draw attention from thieves
Old 07-14-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by tiny
personally, i would buy new speakers
aftermarket HU's are a pain in the ass, plus they draw attention from thieves
Good point.

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate all the info you gave me.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ReggaeRampage
Yeah, I thought about that. It would be nice to have an input for my iPOD. And my factory head unit doesn't support MP3's. So it would actually make sense to get a head unit. I just don't want to end up paying so much for something when it MAY affect other things, like my subwoofer...

I lost steering wheel controls, but i gained my ipod, so it all works out. You should be able to get pretty much any after market deck and put it in, not just panasonic. just go to crutchfield.com and pick out the deck you want, they throw in the wire harness and dash kit for free, and sometimes you can snag free shipping.

the only issue i had was running the power to the fuse box (really easy, because it's right there next to the stereo), which it said to run to the wipers, but i ran it to my sunroof so i could retain the courtesy minutes after the ignition is turned off.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A new deck is gonna make all the diff. The speakers only do what the deck tells them to. Spend the money to get a good deck (never get sony) pioneer is your best bet. Do it and you'll hear the differance, I PROMIS.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:03 PM

i would go with the hu my self its the main source for clarity and sound for your radio there are kits to adapt your steering wheel controls(pac swi-x) and i heard that if you hook the aftermarket amp remote wire to the stock you can keep the factory system but im not 100% on that
Old 07-15-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Clmbngfrk18
i heard that if you hook the aftermarket amp remote wire to the stock you can keep the factory system but im not 100% on that
thats exactly what i did, and it works great!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:04 PM

if i put a aftermarket hu in my will i eventually blow my factory speakers due to over powering them? i have the base cobalt.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 AM

atleast im not the only 1 that thought the stock stuff sounds kinda crappy

for what it is and what it costs , they sure coulda done alot better

although i thought the tops deck did MP3 ?

although i guess im spoiled by the alpines ive got in both my cavs along with amps and high end speakers

i am very curious as im considering getting a ss/sc , and i do hate worring about my decks getting stolen

Quick Reply: New speakers or head unit?