Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

no reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no reverse lights

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a 2005 Cobalt ss supercharged 5 speed. My reverse lights don't work. I've tried everything I can thing of. Checked every fuse, all good. Replaced reverse sensor on transmission, didn't help. Checked the wiring under the seats, all good. And the bulbs are good and work but I have no power to the lights. The fuse slot has power, as well as the actual plug for the reverse light switch on the transmission. I am at a complete loss as to what could be the problem. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coltonjohnbutler
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a 2005 Cobalt ss supercharged 5 speed. My reverse lights don't work. I've tried everything I can thing of. Checked every fuse, all good. Replaced reverse sensor on transmission, didn't help. Checked the wiring under the seats, all good. And the bulbs are good and work but I have no power to the lights. The fuse slot has power, as well as the actual plug for the reverse light switch on the transmission. I am at a complete loss as to what could be the problem. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I know you've replaced the switch but try this: unplug the reverse switch connector and short out the two wires at the connector to simulate the switch engaging. Use a piece of thin wire. Report back.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ssyellowss
I know you've replaced the switch but try this: unplug the reverse switch connector and short out the two wires at the connector to simulate the switch engaging. Use a piece of thin wire. Report back.
I did that and they turned on. Now what? Lol
Old 01-30-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by coltonjohnbutler
I did that and they turned on. Now what? Lol
Since the switch is new and still not working that means the transmission is not engaging the switch or the new switch isn't working either. You can take the switch out and press it by hand while connected. If that works then your transmission isn't engaging the switch when shifted to reverse. If it doesn't work you switch is bad, again.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:36 PM

Since the switch is new and still not working that means the transmission is not engaging the switch or the new switch isn't working either. You can take the switch out and press it by hand while connected. If that works then your transmission isn't engaging the switch when shifted to reverse. If it doesn't work you switch is bad, again.
Yeah that's what I did, I took the switch out and pressed the switch manually and they worked. So does that mean that there is something broken in my transmission or does the linkage just maybe need to be adjusted?
Old 01-30-2016, 07:05 PM

If you can shift into reverse without issue then the linkage is fine. I am not sure for a fix for this particular problem.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:08 PM

If you can shift into reverse without issue then the linkage is fine. I am not sure for a fix for this particular problem.
Damn.. Okay thank you for your help. Much appreciated!
Old 01-31-2016, 11:12 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
that sucks. i guess you could wire them to a switch?
Old 01-31-2016, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
that sucks. i guess you could wire them to a switch?
Yeah I'm thinking about just wiring a switch in the shift boot.