Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Orange Cobalt radio mod, check it out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orange Cobalt radio mod, check it out.

i dont know if this has been posted but i was looking and zoneing out on the internet here and i noticed a sweet mod some orange cobalt owners may be interested in. well our new radios are sweet looking and all but the color in the back is that teal blue. well i just figured if some orange cobalt owners want some sweet looking radio mod why not try this.

swapping out the radio in the chevy for one in a saturn?
the ions 07 last year had orange faced lettering and since its like a direct bolt up i dont think it would be a problem. just my 2cents for the orange cobalt owners. i think its a sweet mod and is cost effective cause you can sell the old radio on ebay or w/e for basically the same price. and get some money back. well hope someone thinks this is a good idea.

heres one for sale on redlineforums . com so maybe someone will buy it from here after i suggest this. http://www.******************/forums...ts-things.html
also disregard the last guys statement because hes talking about the 06 radio not the 07.

if this was already thought of, well im off to go burn myself/
Old 12-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Banned

dude that would be pretty sweet..
Old 12-29-2006, 11:48 PM

The face of the cobalt version of that radio Im pretty sure is specific to the cobalt to match the curvature of the cobalt center stack . I have a 2007 HHR head unit visually looks identical , but it will not fit the Cobalt radio bezel because the radio face is flat . The Cobalt faceplate is curved .

While all the black tie radio's look the same , they are not all created equal . There are subtle differences in the faceplates to suit different dash center stack designs and speaker and amp combo's .

Not saying the Saturn radio wont work , because I havent tried that version .....jus do your homework before you buy as the black tie radio's are really hard to sell because they are model specific . I cant give away my 07 HHR head unit , even with a $50 buy it now .
Old 12-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
The face of the cobalt version of that radio Im pretty sure is specific to the cobalt to match the curvature of the cobalt center stack . I have a 2007 HHR head unit visually looks identical , but it will not fit the Cobalt radio bezel because the radio face is flat . The Cobalt faceplate is curved .

While all the black tie radio's look the same , they are not all created equal . There are subtle differences in the faceplates to suit different dash center stack designs and speaker and amp combo's .

Not saying the Saturn radio wont work , because I havent tried that version .....jus do your homework before you buy as the black tie radio's are really hard to sell because they are model specific . I cant give away my 07 HHR head unit , even with a $50 buy it now .
ya i know what ur saying. i just think the saturn Ion has the same as the cobalt. because they are both the same class. but i could be wrong.

again its just an idea so in the end it may be wrong. just hope not lol.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:35 AM

Hey ...its a good idea I just wanted to make aware what the info Ive discovered . The HHR is the same class as the Cobalt too and the HHR radio wont work for us

If you actually really wanted the amber display and had the right soldering equiptment and the know how , you could remove the digital display off the circuit board and swap it into the Cobalts circuit board . These radio's arent that complicated to take apart but swapping the Dispays is tedius and not something u wanna do unless u know what ur doing . That back lighting is not LED's either , there colored rubber bulb caps(nipples) on tiny incandesnt bulbs . So if u wanted the saturn color on the buttons too , just swap the blue bulb caps out of the chevy radio for the amber caps in the saturn . Most saturns though dont have a bulb cap at all though , they just use the natural light of the incandesnt bulb to get the bone looking color backlighting they have .