Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help!

this may have been covered somewhere.. but i cant find exactly what im looking for.. i wired up stock fogs with an ss bumper to my LT using a stock ss harness.. everything works.. except my fog lights.. i took off the dimmer switch to put the new dash trim with the stock fog buttons on and there was a plug with three wires that clips into the fog button already there.. and there is power to one of the wires.. ( i tested it ) but i push it and nothing happens.. i checked the fog light fuse and its fine.. any suggestions? and or if someone could tell me the exact wires i could splice to hook the fogs up to the headlights for an "auto" fog turn on...

thanks guys/gals!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 PM

It's because when you push the fog light button on the dash, you're commanding the body controller (BCU) to turn on the relay for the fog lights; Since your LT doesn't have the programming in the BCU for that it won't work.

You're options are to either wire up the fog lights on a seperate switch, or wire up a relay to the running lights and power your fog lights that way.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:54 PM

would it be more practical to have my bcm reprogramed and foglights set to on? so the switch is usable or just wire em up with a relay?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by crispino
would it be more practical to have my bcm reprogramed and foglights set to on? so the switch is usable or just wire em up with a relay?
You ever try to reprogram a computer part in a car?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:44 AM

wire em up with the relay...

But I suppose if you wanted to employ Vince or someone of the like, they could probably find you a flash for a BCU from the LT model or whatever the 2.2L model is with the fog lights and make it work for your VIN... So it is possible, but a relay setup is like $10 at most...
Old 06-18-2011, 10:20 PM

can you guys get a wiring diragram? and idk what to do as far as computer things go.. but my buddy works a a chevy dealer with a tech-2 machine...
Old 06-19-2011, 04:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crispino
can you guys get a wiring diragram? and idk what to do as far as computer things go.. but my buddy works a a chevy dealer with a tech-2 machine...
Run large fused wire meant to feed the power from the battery to the relay. Approx 16-12 gauge to relay as power feed. Then run another piece of large wire to the feed off of the relay to your fog lights. After that, run a feed off of your switch for the fog lights to the switch input on the relay. Now I can't get any dumber on electrical terms, but since you don't know how to wire up a relay, I'm assuming you wouldn't understand a schematic. This is a lot easier to show you then tell you though. And you won't be able to use the gm switch. You will have to put a simple single pole switch in. The gm button is digital. Hadn't had my balt for so long, I'd almost forgot. You may actually want to talk to someone about a trifecta tune. Vince may know how to reprogram the bcm. Hes a really good programmer.

Last edited by FasterIsBetter; 06-19-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 PM

okay ill see what i can do! thanks for all your help guys.