Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Starting a Car Audio Job!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting a Car Audio Job!

Hrey guys, so i applied at future shop (owned by best buy up here) and i got the job, asked to be in any department and they put me in car audio...

so i know a bit about car audio..amps subs and what not..but i dont know the technical stuff...like OHM's and capacitors and stuff.

if some of the car audio guru's could run down some basic terms and know-how for me that would be amazing!

i dont want to be that ******* that bullshtis his way thro a sale...thanks team CSS.NET
Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have any questions hit up me or emperorjj by way of pm and we can help
Old 10-30-2008, 10:54 PM

well im just looking for basics..whatever you want to throw at me to help me learn
Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 PM

capacitor - "cap" essentially exactly what it is... it's a cap for the battery to sip off of on heavy load occurences... it recharges fast and discharges fast to release enough energy when needed. it's only a temporary fix, but can help with that person who just want's subs and no problems (if ran properly and not used for a long time)

ohms - check ohms law (v = ir i believe), the resistance, or the loudness, the lower the resistance the easier something can be played at a level
example: (cuz i know it's confusing) a 2 ohm sub will play louder at half volume than a 4 ohm sub because the current doesn't encounter as much resistance

remember, you can always over ground something, but never want to over or under power something

minimum 2 fuses are suggested

if you are an installer (which i doubt you will be without experience), always tape off or block potential spark makers

read on a power cable guage chart that tells you what guage should be used for each amount of watts (good to know)

i know best buy sells junk and some good ones, but honest with the person, do research on all products that you can and be knowledgeable on as many as possible

do not be one of those people who encourages people to go more expensive just to make a buck, ask them what they want, answer any questions and then politely suggest or state benefits and cons of going with that system, now and in the long run

let people thoroughly listen to the system... make sure the person knows they can't just turn the gain all the way up if they want it louder, it ruins the subs or speakers and they will just end up spending money in the long run, so make sure they know what they want, (how loud or w/e) first, and suggest it first

this is just what i think and what i know off the top of my head... good luck and congrats

ps. thanks for taking the initiative and not being a dumb **** who suggests a brand cuz it looks cool or costs the most
Old 10-30-2008, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by creedin
capacitor - "cap" essentially exactly what it is... it's a cap for the battery to sip off of on heavy load occurences... it recharges fast and discharges fast to release enough energy when needed. it's only a temporary fix, but can help with that person who just want's subs and no problems (if ran properly and not used for a long time)

ohms - check ohms law (v = ir i believe), the resistance, or the loudness, the lower the resistance the easier something can be played at a level
example: (cuz i know it's confusing) a 2 ohm sub will play louder at half volume than a 4 ohm sub because the current doesn't encounter as much resistance

remember, you can always over ground something, but never want to over or under power something

minimum 2 fuses are suggested

if you are an installer (which i doubt you will be without experience), always tape off or block potential spark makers

read on a power cable guage chart that tells you what guage should be used for each amount of watts (good to know)

i know best buy sells junk and some good ones, but honest with the person, do research on all products that you can and be knowledgeable on as many as possible

do not be one of those people who encourages people to go higher or better, ask them what they wan't, answer any questions and then politely suggest or state benefits and cons of going with that system, now and in the long run

let people thoroughly listen to the system... make sure the person knows they can't just turn the gain all the way up if they wan't it louder, it runs the subs or speakers and they will just end up spending money in the long run, so make sure they know what they want, (how loud or w/e) first, and suggest it first

this is just what i think and what i know off the top of my head... good luck and congrats

ps. thanks for taking the initiative and not being a dumb **** who suggests a brand cuz it looks cool or costs the most
thanks alot man, the ohm stuff is still confusing...

im sure i could sell it, ive worked in retail for 3 years...its my life lol...but i want to be educated..so they keep me on full time and i make lots of commision

also i want to learn it...because i love cars..
Old 10-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Oh, you're selling not installing?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 PM

yes selling sir.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 PM

okay ohms is the resistance

v = ir

v = voltage
i = current
r = resistance

so essentially reading the equation, the voltage is determined by the current and the amount of resistance it ecounters, the lower the resistance, the less voltage needed, the more the resistance the more voltage needed
Old 10-30-2008, 11:08 PM

voltage is also refered to as watts correct?

so a 1ohm sub would hit harder and sound louder then a 2 ohm sub.

but you would also have to run a lower watt amp to the 1 ohm sub then a 2 ohm sub because you dont want to blow it?? am i close? lol
Old 10-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Projekt
voltage is also refered to as watts correct?

so a 1ohm sub would hit harder and sound louder then a 2 ohm sub.

but you would also have to run a lower watt amp to the 1 ohm sub then a 2 ohm sub because you dont want to blow it?? am i close? lol
watts is completely seperate from volts.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:13 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
lol to make it less ocnfusing the lower the ohms or resistance the more power the sub will receive from the amp. A general rule is your power doubles the lower the ohm load but its really amp dependent. The catch on that is the amp must be stable at said ohm. So for a mono amp that makes 500w at 2 ohm you would get 250 at 4 ohm. Also with a 2 channel amp you would get the same power at 2 ohms stereo and 4 ohms bridged. Bridged is the best option in that case to get a single signal for the subs especially in the same box.

Oh make sure what you sell is going to fit in the vehicle. In a best buy its hard to do but it will make your installers alot happier and a happy installer will help you when need be. a pissed off installer will say **** that douche
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 PM

no... Projekt

voltage measures volts
"amps" not an amp measures amperes
current is the flow of electricity (watts i believe)

a 1 ohm sub encounters less resistance than a 2 ohm sub, so if both were given 20 volts of power (lets just say) with that 20 volts for the 1 ohm ( 20 = i(1) ) compared to the 2 ohm ( 20 = i(2) )

the 1 ohm sub gets 20 watts of current compared to the 2 ohm sub at 10 watts, so at the same level, the 1 ohm sub is getting 10 extra watts of current

and the amp question, the amp has to be able to run as low as 1 ohm and with that it can provide more wattage because with less resistance to push out the power, it can work as hard as it had been, but have more power being pushed out (if that makes sense)
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by fast98
watts is completely seperate from volts.
x2 only thing you really need to know about wattage is match the RMS numbers to the sub along with the correct ohm stability on the amp. Dont pay attention to peak values since they dont mean **** anyway
Old 10-30-2008, 11:16 PM

so essentialy ohm's is a divider

as in you have 500 watts amp going to a 2 ohm sub you have 250 watts?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by creedin
no... Projekt

voltage measures volts
"amps" not an amp measures amperes
current is the flow of electricity (watts i believe)

a 1 ohm sub encounters less resistance than a 2 ohm sub, so if both were given 20 volts of power (lets just say) with that 20 volts for the 1 ohm ( 20 = i(1) ) compared to the 2 ohm ( 20 = i(2) )

the 1 ohm sub gets 20 watts of current compared to the 2 ohm sub at 10 watts, so at the same level, the 1 ohm sub is getting 10 extra watts of current

and the amp question, the amp has to be able to run as low as 1 ohm and with that it can provide more wattage because with less resistance to push out the power, it can work as hard as it had been, but have more power being pushed out (if that makes sense)
sorta not really one thing you also forget is heat. An amp will run 10X hotter at its max power output then at half power (1 ohm vs 2 ohm). the main thing that "determines" how much power an amp makes is its heatsink. yes the parts inside are really what does it but if the heatsink cant handle it the manufact will yank parts and rate the amp at a lower power level to save money

so essentialy ohm's is a divider

as in you have 500 watts amp going to a 2 ohm sub you have 250 watts?
yes but its very dependant on the amp. Most good amps will follow this rule and more of the bullshit amps wont double the power at half the impedance (ohms)

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 10-30-2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-30-2008, 11:30 PM

ah i see...that helps me out a bit..still confusing..but ill learn it.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 PM

read the rockford fosgate knowledge base. they have alot of helpful info up there
Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 PM

will do...is there any good forums to readup on also?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Banned

Hrey guys, so i applied at future shop (owned by best buy up here) and i got the job, asked to be in any department and they put me in car audio...

so i know a bit about car audio..amps subs and what not..but i dont know the technical stuff...like OHM's and capacitors and stuff.

if some of the car audio guru's could run down some basic terms and know-how for me that would be amazing!

i dont want to be that ******* that bullshtis his way thro a sale...thanks team CSS.NET
The first thing you need to know is that Best buy sells garbage car audio products. They sell like top of the line beginner stuff. Its really kinda sad. Plus its overpriced as all hell. All I ask is don't be another uneducated Best buy employee that thinks what he sells is top of the line.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by RedGoat
The first thing you need to know is that Best buy sells garbage car audio products. They sell like top of the line beginner stuff. Its really kinda sad. Plus its overpriced as all hell. All I ask is don't be another uneducated Best buy employee that thinks what he sells is top of the line.
they sell pioneer and such, which makes a excelent in-dash headunit...i see nothing wrong with them and i know alot of people use them

as well, rockford and alpine make very good subs...i know its not competition class stuff...but still..for the average person...best buy and future shop offer very good product.

also...we will match any price and baet it by 10%...cant go wrong with that can ya.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:40 AM

Try this site
http://www.canadiancaraudio.com/
And for general knowledge try
http://www.bcae1.com/\
and
http://www.the12volt.com/
Old 10-31-2008, 04:45 AM
Banned

they sell pioneer and such, which makes a excelent in-dash headunit...i see nothing wrong with them and i know alot of people use them

as well, rockford and alpine make very good subs...i know its not competition class stuff...but still..for the average person...best buy and future shop offer very good product.

also...we will match any price and baet it by 10%...cant go wrong with that can ya.
Alpine Subs are garbage and Rockford Fosgate is RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED.

Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood are good for one thing in car audio. Making Decks. Alpine also may make a decent component speaker. But subwoofers? LOL there products are trash. I used to have an Alpine amp it was the biggest piece of crap around.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:44 AM

lol id take a alpine sub over a pair of alpine door speakers
Old 10-31-2008, 07:04 AM

the12volt.com is great, one of my all time favorite sites.

also peak power IMO is somewhat of a gimmick, i have never paid attention to it and most people i kno dont, but in retail they will always say that number first to make any amp sound powerful.

Originally Posted by RedGoat
Alpine Subs are garbage and Rockford Fosgate is RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED.

Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood are good for one thing in car audio. Making Decks. Alpine also may make a decent component speaker. But subwoofers? LOL there products are trash. I used to have an Alpine amp it was the biggest piece of crap around.
i have no problem with pioneer amps.

INFACT, my monoblocks have outlasted all of my other amps.

there door speakers...not good, ill just say that, bak in the day i went thru allot of them as well as those alpine type R components, which are also ****

Last edited by originaladrian; 10-31-2008 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-31-2008, 07:43 AM

Then I guess you dont want to make any money lol

You always have to bullshit to make the product your trying to sell better than everything else, even if it isnt lol

Quick Reply: Starting a Car Audio Job!