Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

stock 10 inch

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock 10 inch

this might be weird but im wondering if anyone has ever tried to wire up another stock 10 inch on the other side? would it be possible and would it sound any better? i used to be into aftermarket systems but i dont have money for it now days and i need the trunk/ backseat space for going to and from school. thanks
Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cost is high, doesn't really work because of the way sound moves.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you mean another stock sub unit just on the otherside?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:01 AM

yeah... iim just wonderin
Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Banned

with a custom enclosure? you wouldnt be able to just flip over the stock one haha

if you were to power it with a spearate amp, you would see improvements. otherwise, not really.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:30 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
^^^ stock enclosure wont fit on the other side in any way shape or form... pass side has less space due to the gas tank thingamobob. Also you cant use the stock amp without blowing it to smithereens.

All in all joe is right. Your going to have to pay 100 or so for a stock sub a good 500 for a fiberglass box. up to 200 for a amp and a good 80 bucks on an amp install. If anything swap out the stock sub to an aftermerket and get an aftermarket amp. it will be cheaper and sound better
Old 08-02-2008, 03:49 PM

doesnt the stock sub have a built in amp? Its not just a speaker in that box, theres an amp in there also i think. I think it would work if you found a place to put it.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by blackss2.0
doesnt the stock sub have a built in amp? Its not just a speaker in that box, theres an amp in there also i think. I think it would work if you found a place to put it.
nope, the stock sub is 2 + 2 ohm coils. they run off of the stock amp.

i replaced mine with a low pro sub and a separate amp, sounded good.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 PM

I bridged mine to a 500 watt amp. No need for another sub for me. I don't know how that 10 is still alive..lol
Old 08-02-2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by BMC2U
I bridged mine to a 500 watt amp. No need for another sub for me. I don't know how that 10 is still alive..lol
i ran mine on a RF p200-2 for a while. it's a legit 250ish watt amp, it played pretty hard. that stock ten is pretty stout.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:44 PM

Yah, it apparently is capable of handling some power. It amazes me how loud that sucker will pump with it hooked into a bigger power source. Its good for rap, low rolling moan-type bass, but I will probably replace it somewhere down the line because it isn't all that great for rock. Not as snappy and crisp as I would like. Could be the box design. Dunno.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by BMC2U
Yah, it apparently is capable of handling some power. It amazes me how loud that sucker will pump with it hooked into a bigger power source. Its good for rap, low rolling moan-type bass, but I will probably replace it somewhere down the line because it isn't all that great for rock. Not as snappy and crisp as I would like. Could be the box design. Dunno.
little of both, plastic boxes arn't the best for not flexing. hard to keep it super tight.

i keep saying that i'm gonna pull mine out and pop in a single kappa 10 dvc and a bigger sub amp.

but, remember, it's not the size of the amp, it's the speaker. the amp can only supply what the speaker draws, so if it never gets hot enough, or moves far enough to damage itself, it can "Take" basically any amount of energy.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:10 AM

I have replaced all of the stock speakers with aftermarket. I have 2 6.5 inch Alpine mid bass speakers in the doors<installed in the stock positions>,i also replaced the tweeters with pioneer tweeters<i installed them behind the stock tweeter panels>,i also have pioneer 300 watt 6/9's in the rear deck,I also bypassed the stock amp and installed a bazooka 800 watt amp<2 ohm stable> that i have mounted behind the left rear seat,and have replaced the 10 inch pioneer sub for a DD 1000 watt sub<2 ohms>,and it is installed in the same enclosure. I have the amp tuned very well for the bass,and i have installed a pioneer head unit that took me a while to tune everything so that i can control it all from the deck instead of always having to go back and fourth.....And let me tell you.....It sounds ******* bad ass...I never thought once that i needed more than one sub..I know what you mean about taking up to much space....Trust me,if you just replace all of the stock components,put a more powerful amp,and change out the sub with one that can handle the extra load. Thats all you need,and it would look awsome freaking people out on how good your **** sounds with no changes done to the apearance such as tearing up doors or adding another box that obviously was'nt there when the car left for the dealership........If thats what you looking for....
Old 08-03-2008, 03:17 AM

but i like tearing things up
Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 PM

Alright then...lol
Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
What subs will fit in the stock box, nice stuff, like JL or something. I want a better sub with an amp for it, but I can't have a box floating around my trunk, so I need something that will work in the plastic housing. I'm not expecting record sound, just somethign that hits nice and clean.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
What subs will fit in the stock box, nice stuff, like JL or something. I want a better sub with an amp for it, but I can't have a box floating around my trunk, so I need something that will work in the plastic housing. I'm not expecting record sound, just somethign that hits nice and clean.
It only fits one 10"...
Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 PM

What DD sub that was able to handle 1000 watts did you fit in the stock box?

Off the top of my head I can only think of 1 DD sub that can handle that power and still maybe fit in the stock box, if this is the case then I have a question

How do you sleep at night?

Cuz if it were me, I don't think I could sleep at night knowing I had the potential for an awsome sounding system sitting in my car but it will never do what it was built to do because I have it Mickey Moused into my car.

The box is soooo important when it comes to systems, and I don't think the stock box comes close to the right specs in which those subs (or any DD subs) were intended to be used in. It wouldn't cost you that much and it won't take up much space to have a proper box built to fit in that same spot. You don't mind mounting your amps on the back seat, which I'm guessing also were not there when you bought the car but you have a problem putting a box in the trunk, I fail to see the logic behind this

If you didn't want to tear things apart you should have stuck to home audio, if your intent was to do it proper one day but this was all you could do right now, that i could understand but your content with it like this.
Like my buddy always says, "go hard or go home"

BTW-When he asked what subs fit in the stock spot, I think he knows its a 10" sub, I'm guessing he is reffering to depth which you should be well aware of if you had to fit one in, cuz most subs won't fit in there, shouldn't you know this? Also the only Bazooka amp thats rated at 800 watts is the ELA 1800, its a mono running amp stable at 2ohms, but you have the 2ohm version of the DD's so that would put your end otput at 1ohm in which the amp is not able to run at, I don't know of any DD's that can handle 1000 watts that are not DVC

Last edited by Spun; 08-06-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleeper LS
It only fits one 10"...
I meant, what are my options. I know it only fits one, I only want one. I just want something better than the OEM one, that will still fit in the same place. Follow along here...
Old 08-07-2008, 04:52 AM

SPUN

only sub that may possibly fit in the stock sub box is the 500 series but its not 1krms neither is his amp thou so i wasnt expecting a 2500-3500 anyway. Plus if you pay for it they will make whatever you want

Joe
look into shallow speakers. they are offered by kenwood fosgate pioneer jl RE ect
Old 08-07-2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
SPUN

only sub that may possibly fit in the stock sub box is the 500 series but its not 1krms neither is his amp thou so i wasnt expecting a 2500-3500 anyway. Plus if you pay for it they will make whatever you want

Joe
look into shallow speakers. they are offered by kenwood fosgate pioneer jl RE ect
i installed a pioneer shallow 10 into my stock box.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:07 PM

Plus if you pay for it they will make whatever you want
Thats exactly what I was talking about, you can have a box made to the proper specs that will fit in along the driver side wall if the trunk, extended up past the tire well, infact it would look cleaner than the stock box.

Yeah the 500 is what I think to, the only one that might fit but its a 300 watt sub and I wasn't sure where the thousand watt came from, at that range it would have to have been a 3500 or better and no way those are fitting in the stock box. The 500 makes more sense anyway, being SVC, but I was under the impression that the 500 was 4 ohm only, I don't know there were just alot of holes in the story if you know what i mean
Old 08-08-2008, 02:22 AM

^^^ lol i know what you mean but the benifits of DD as a company is they will seriously make whatever you want (coil config, basket, cone, dustcap, ect) SO if i want a wood cone carbon dustcap, quad coil chrome basket whatever they will make it. Mind you no one in their right mind would dish out the cash necessary but anyone ordering that isnt in their right mind to begin with

Originally Posted by joeworkstoohard
i installed a pioneer shallow 10 into my stock box.
i ment out of the Digital designs line up

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 08-08-2008 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-08-2008, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Spun
What DD sub that was able to handle 1000 watts did you fit in the stock box?

Off the top of my head I can only think of 1 DD sub that can handle that power and still maybe fit in the stock box, if this is the case then I have a question

How do you sleep at night?

Cuz if it were me, I don't think I could sleep at night knowing I had the potential for an awsome sounding system sitting in my car but it will never do what it was built to do because I have it Mickey Moused into my car.

The box is soooo important when it comes to systems, and I don't think the stock box comes close to the right specs in which those subs (or any DD subs) were intended to be used in. It wouldn't cost you that much and it won't take up much space to have a proper box built to fit in that same spot. You don't mind mounting your amps on the back seat, which I'm guessing also were not there when you bought the car but you have a problem putting a box in the trunk, I fail to see the logic behind this

If you didn't want to tear things apart you should have stuck to home audio, if your intent was to do it proper one day but this was all you could do right now, that i could understand but your content with it like this.
Like my buddy always says, "go hard or go home"

BTW-When he asked what subs fit in the stock spot, I think he knows its a 10" sub, I'm guessing he is reffering to depth which you should be well aware of if you had to fit one in, cuz most subs won't fit in there, shouldn't you know this? Also the only Bazooka amp thats rated at 800 watts is the ELA 1800, its a mono running amp stable at 2ohms, but you have the 2ohm version of the DD's so that would put your end otput at 1ohm in which the amp is not able to run at, I don't know of any DD's that can handle 1000 watts that are not DVC
The old 1500 series was SVC and could handle that much power. I can't vouch for daily driven though, I don't think any of the DD subs will fit in that enclosure will they?! Even the 10" from the 500 series is 5" deep.... I don't have a cobalt but I can't imagine that enclosure is that deep is it?!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:22 PM

but the benifits of DD as a company is they will seriously make whatever you want (coil config, basket, cone, dustcap, ect)
Oh now i understand what you mean, I was unware of this fact.
You say it cost an insane amount of $$ to get this done though....could you imagine spending all that cash then putting in the stock box?

They should make that a honourary Darwin award.

raptors_67
I think the mounting depth of the stock sub is 4 1/2 or 5 inches but am not 100% positive.
In any case a 1000 watts into that plastic box..I don't it would handle the punishment very well. Its not even really sealed, it comes apart

Quick Reply: stock 10 inch