Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Viper 5900 Alarm Installed / Review / Helpful Info

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper 5900 Alarm Installed / Review / Helpful Info

Hey Guys,

Well, I began installing the new Viper 5900 alarm in my car (06' SS/SC) last weekend and, due to a LOT of rain, I finally finished with the install last night. Once everything was installed, the remote start failed once, we made one wire adjustment, and all was good. Everything with an alarm installation is straight forward in this car as long as you have everything you need.

I must say that this alarm works very well. Setting the sensitivity for the shock sensor is a piece of cake and works well. While their were a great deal of wires, a good amount of them are used for additional accessories, special wires in diesel vehicles, etc. At first sight when I opened the box containing the alarm, I said to myself, "Wow, what am I getting into?" With a little help from some other cobaltss members, the install wasn't too bad at all.

Here is some helpful info if your are planning on a future alarm installation in these cars:

1. Installation of an alarm, on this vehicle especially, is time consuming. If you don't have the patience, I would not recommend it.

2. Have a vehicle wiring diagram of the ignition system, remote turn on leads, constant 12V, door unlock/lock etc in front of you before beginning the installation. I'm sure 99% of you know, but this diagram is vehicle specific.

3. Required additional components for keyless entry and remote start to work:
-XpressKit XK06 GM Bypass Module (For remote start) Avg. Price $50-$100
Very easy to install as the paperwork that comes with it shows the wire color codes to cut at the ignition. Programming the module is even easier.

-Custom Relay setup for the door locks. This will include (2) Relays, (1) 1500 OHM Resistor, connecting harnesses or crimp connectors (for connecting the wires to the relays), electrical wire, and butt connectors or similar (if you want to keep everything neat). Here is the wiring connections for connecting everything. This diagram is based on the unlock wire for the alarm being blue, and the lock wire being green.

86-fused constant 12v
87-ground
87a (if present) not used
85-blue
30-white wire in car with 1500 OHM resistor inline (Connects to door lock/unlock wire of car)

86-same as above (constant 12v)
87-same as above (ground)
87a (if present) not used
85-green
30-white wire in car as is (Connects to door lock/unlock wire of car)

This is what you should have when you are done building the door lock relay:

-One last helpful note is that I changed the jumper location on this alarm for the tachometer threshold. I did not verify if the remote start will work without doing so, as I moved the jumper prior to initial testing.

That's really it as far as the install goes. It is not extremely difficult, while the amount of time required for the installation as well as the need to check wires with a multimeter (for verifying wires) make this a moderately difficult project. I've done one remote start alarm install in my 97' ranger in the past. Needless to say that, that was then and this is now. A lot has changed in vehicles. lol

I need to thank two members for their help with the installation:
07blackss86
ctcsoccer7

As they did for me, if anyone needs any help with the installation, just shoot me a PM.

You can view all of the install pics on my photobucket @ http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/Audiobreeze/
Old 07-05-2009, 05:05 PM

one thing that might make the doorlocks easier to use will be a 451m dual relay doorlock module, good for negative or positive doorlocks or 5 wire doorlocks. if you use this you can void the pics above , it does the same thing!

glad everything worked out!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:47 PM

Nice addition to the thread.

One issue I've run into is the need to install a relay between the starter wire from the viper alarm to the the GM bypass module. Long story short, I propelled my car about 8 feet forward by leaving it in gear and remote starting it while I was in my house.

I'd like to run the starter wire through a relay and only have it complete the circuit when the car is in neutral. That being said, I need to locate a wire that shows +12V when the car is in neutral and 0V when the car is left in any gear. This way the remote start will only activate if I left the car in neutral as I should.

Can anyone provide me with anything to help me find this wire in our vehicle? I've got my multimeter ready to go, but I don't feel like probing every wire in the BCM connectors.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by LSJ PUP
Nice addition to the thread.

One issue I've run into is the need to install a relay between the starter wire from the viper alarm to the the GM bypass module. Long story short, I propelled my car about 8 feet forward by leaving it in gear and remote starting it while I was in my house.

I'd like to run the starter wire through a relay and only have it complete the circuit when the car is in neutral. That being said, I need to locate a wire that shows +12V when the car is in neutral and 0V when the car is left in any gear. This way the remote start will only activate if I left the car in neutral as I should.

Can anyone provide me with anything to help me find this wire in our vehicle? I've got my multimeter ready to go, but I don't feel like probing every wire in the BCM connectors.
let me do some research and i will get back with ya!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ctcsoccer7
let me do some research and i will get back with ya!
Will do.

If you can find me either a wire that reads +12V when in neutral only or Ground when in neutral only, that would help greatly.

Thanks man.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:42 AM

I was able to wire up a clutch bypass switch in order to do exactly as it sounds as well as a means of remember to leave my car in neutral prior to exiting. No clutch is needed as long as the switch is in the on position. You'll notice in the images below that this is a lighted switch. My logic here is that I will see the light on the switch and turn it off, only flipping it back on when I plan on remote starting. I won't have a need for a non-existent neutral positive or ground wire any longer. Have a look.

Video of the switch operation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RRvHX1lGY