Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

What aftermarket cd player are you getting in your cobalt ss/sc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What aftermarket cd player are you getting in your cobalt ss/sc?

I'm an Alpine guy my whole life...but this time I'm going with Pioneer to complete what chevy started with how they put in Pioneer speakers from the factory...I'm going with the Pioneer DEH-P9600MP headunit and the CDX-P1280 12 disc changer for the trunk...the headunit is the one that has the downloadable screensavers and has dolphins swimming on it...my only problem is all the local stereo shops around here (which are pretty good at knowing they're stuff) say that it could be months untill a headunit car kit comes out for the cobalt to hold the stereo in place...would the Saturn Ion Redline kit work or anyother newer chevys for that matter???
Old 02-17-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by eclipsefloyd
I'm an Alpine guy my whole life...but this time I'm going with Pioneer to complete what chevy started with how they put in Pioneer speakers from the factory...I'm going with the Pioneer DEH-P9600MP headunit and the CDX-P1280 12 disc changer for the trunk...the headunit is the one that has the downloadable screensavers and has dolphins swimming on it...my only problem is all the local stereo shops around here (which are pretty good at knowing they're stuff) say that it could be months untill a headunit car kit comes out for the cobalt to hold the stereo in place...would the Saturn Ion Redline kit work or anyother newer chevys for that matter???

I'm the same way... But I'm going the Premier route for the receiver. They're two models I'm interested in... The DEH-P770MP and the DEH-P8MP.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:57 PM

I think im gonna keep the headunit for now, I like the flush look with the dash and the fact it plays MP3's, but within the first week im adding my 2 Alpine Type E 12' Subs in the trunk and Alpine V12 amp. That should do the trick.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:48 PM

I've always gone with Pioneer I had the DEH-8000R in my saturn now i hve the 8400MP in my grand am (but it just recently stoped opening so I put the stock hu back in) I think I'm just going to stick with the stock one for awhile and see how it is. If I need to make upgrades I'll stick with Pioneer most likely.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:53 PM

i think i'll keep the original deck in the car. i mean if you take that away you take away from the interior. i know its sucks that it only holds one cd but it's an mp3 so you can put like 500 songs on one cd, whats not to like!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:05 PM

STAY WITH ALPINE

It doesn't matter what you head unit is compared to the speakers. If you are going to replace the head unit always get the best head unit you can get, you can always upgrade everything else later.

I have a complete alpine system (used for 4 months) I'm getting rid of, it came out of my totaled 04 Cav. The head unit is an Apline CDA-9835 and I have the full digital Alpine TUA-T020XM (XM revciever). I also have Alpine speakers and amp if anyone is interested.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Proud Playstation 3 Owner

I've got a Pioneer 8400MP, but since the SS come with MP3 playability I think I'm going stick with stock. Unless it doesnt work, then its going back in.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:58 PM

eclipsefloyd

my friend has that pioneer stereo you're getting. well he did. some guys at school broke into his car and stole a couple of weeks ago. its a pretty nice stereo
Old 02-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffbmx
my friend has that pioneer stereo you're getting. well he did. some guys at school broke into his car and stole a couple of weeks ago. its a pretty nice stereo
I went to school in Rochester, NY. It has more than it's share of crime. I went to a school in a suburb that was quite a ways from the city. However that year the college screwed over 2nd year students. They apparently let in too many freshmen and the 2nd year students couldn't stay in the dorms. Usually after the dorms you could go into college run apts. But as a 2nd year we didnt' have the seniority to get an apartment. So I was force into another colleges apt. build.

Anyhow this complex I lived in was close to a bad part of town. In fact there was a murder probably 1/2 from where I lived. Mind you I am still on a campus property. The college rent a cops sucked, except for issuing parking tickets which they were great at. Anyhow I came down one morning to the parking lot to go to class. There was GLASS everywhere. Turns out some band of theives had smashed into every car with an aftermarket radio and stolen it. I counted 43 cars that had their windows smashed in and stereo's stolen. I think the officail count was in the 50's. My stock radio was still intacted. The next day the parking lots next to mine had an abandon car on blocks that was torched and completely burnt out. Needless to say I was in that complex about 3 months before I demanded to move.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:49 AM

I'm not sure I'm even going to bother with aftermarket stereo, the last thing I need is my **** broken into. I work at Target, and about a month ago my friends car got broken into, they stole his stereo and all the speakers and his cellphone. Then a few weeks after that the front lanes supervisor had his truck stolen that showed up about 8 hours later around the side lot with the radio stolen and extensive damage. My boss has also had his stereo stolen THREE times from that parking lot before he just kept the stock one in. The worst part is that this Target is always busy, and in a very good part of town. Hell, it's not even in like a city, just the town of Gilbert in Arizona. Needless to say, I'm afraid to just park my cobalt there when I get it. The thought of my poor SS S/C getting broken into would tear me to bits. Eh.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

that is why u get full coverage let em take what eva they want just not my engine!

I have alpine in dash tv but im going with
Old 02-18-2005, 10:00 AM

these cars are going to be hot enough just by the looks of them lets not draw anymore attention to with with an elaborate system.....we those are my thoughts, in my extreme i had my original (OEM) 6 cd changer and 2 15's in the bed with a lid on it and no one bothered it, just be discrete i guess
Old 02-18-2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Vendian
I'm not sure I'm even going to bother with aftermarket stereo, the last thing I need is my **** broken into. I work at Target, and about a month ago my friends car got broken into, they stole his stereo and all the speakers and his cellphone. Then a few weeks after that the front lanes supervisor had his truck stolen that showed up about 8 hours later around the side lot with the radio stolen and extensive damage. My boss has also had his stereo stolen THREE times from that parking lot before he just kept the stock one in. The worst part is that this Target is always busy, and in a very good part of town. Hell, it's not even in like a city, just the town of Gilbert in Arizona. Needless to say, I'm afraid to just park my cobalt there when I get it. The thought of my poor SS S/C getting broken into would tear me to bits. Eh.
I work at the target on Ray and Power

I got a nice sound system but no one would know it by looking at my car. I dont plan on upgrading the sound system till after I get full intake and header back exaust on the car, and possibly new rims. It will probably be one of the last things I do actually.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:17 PM

Fatal Fax, I work at the Target on Val Vista & Warner. So as you can see-not what I would call a 'bad' part of gilbert or anything .
Old 02-18-2005, 02:56 PM

Hah wow, thats pretty close to me. I live on power and southern so I'm not to far from gilbert, and Val vista and warner isnt a bad part of town at all.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:51 PM

Well i live in des moines, iowa.... Des Moines = trash, but the suburbs = nice... i go to work in a suburb and a catholic high school in a suburb. i have a nice alpine stereo, aftermarket alpine speakers, and alpine sub and amp... never had my 2003 cavalier broken into... knock on wood... hopefully i get my cobalt soon...
Old 03-01-2005, 12:41 PM

If you guys want to put in an aftermarket deck in the cobalt, check out:
http://www.bestkits.com
Old 03-01-2005, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the info!

Best Kits and Harness has just released a kit for the “all new” 2004 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx, 2005 Equinox and Cobalt. The BKGMK350 is a perfect way to replace the existing factory head unit. The Equinox, a small SUV, is available on dealer lots while the Cobalt, sedan or coupe, will be available in the fall. The BKGMK350 has a convex curve to it to match the dash opening for an immaculate install. The superb texture of the BKGMK350 matches the texture of the OE dash. Supplied with the kit is a pocket to keep in place any essentials while driving the vehicle. For the 2004 Malibu Classic you will need to use the BKGMT2049B.

Best Kits is a global supplier of installation kits, harnesses, antenna adapters, Speedwire and other autosound installation accessories. For more information please contact 727-572-9255 or check out www.bestkits.com.

Dash Kit: ('05+ Cobalt)
Part # BKGMK350 MSRP $29.95

Harnesses: (GM/Saturn 24 Pin GM LAN)
Part# BHA2102 MSRP $19.95

Old 03-01-2005, 02:07 PM

And the Vicious Cycle Begins

Just got the JVC LH-300 deck installed with matching JBL 6.5 and 6X9's to compliment 2 Audiobahn 12's powered by the JBL 600. Thumps pretty darn good, too bad its a Heinz 57 System, but will have to do until I Can afford Audiobahn all the way around.

Pics would be here by now but were in the middle of the Thaw up here in Red Deer and I Cant keep my Car Clean, Might have to wait another week or so.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:20 PM

F Y I

I have posted this somewhere before!!!! Before I start, keep in mind that the Radio has ... the door chimes and somethings runing into it or behind it on the harnes... A SERVICE TECH AT THE DEALER SHIP WAS TELLING ME. I went over there asking about putting a DVD system and or XM aftermater in my Coupe when I get it!

The car has 2 COMPUTERS from what I have been told! An audio installer around my area that HAS dont after market instalations on the Sedans said...

That the car ended up with lot of electrical problems. He said " the cobalt is an electrical nightmare" <--- this is coming from a guy that has been doing the for a very long time, and knows what he is doing...

An other buddy of mine that does this said the same.. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JUST BE CAREFULL OF HOW YOU WIRE EVERYTHING UP.!
Old 03-01-2005, 06:09 PM

With the new Delco radios you need the following module to bypass the alarm located in the factory radio. This module also has a speaker in it for you chimes. I think it was some where between $60-$100. a must have, it makes everything work real smooth.

Old 03-01-2005, 07:21 PM

Does the base need that as well? I don't have any chimes or any of that fancy crap.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:33 PM

Im keepin the stock deck and adding my 2 12's, does anyone know if the stock deck comes with the input/output plugs in the back ?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:59 PM

GM had went to a alarm (coded) radio in the past couple of years. Without seeing the radio I can not say one way or another, but I would figure in that you will need this unit.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:25 PM

Can anyone say... RF or FM Modulator???

I think that's what I'm going to have to end up doing.. I want to add a DVD system in there....

Quick Reply: What aftermarket cd player are you getting in your cobalt ss/sc?