Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do?

Ok here's my system:
2007 Cobalt LS
Alpine 12 inch Type R subs at 4 ohms wired to two alpine mrp-500's
(1,000 watts all together, well probably 1,200)
New HC Kinetiks 1800 battery
Factory Radio

Later will be adding:
Alpine 9886 (maybe, might keep my factory radio,b/c i like the look)
Alpine F-300 amp to power (75 watts @ 4 ohms)
two 6.5 alpine type R
two 6x9 alpine type R

Few questions:
Can I run three amps on a factory alternator?

How do I stop my lights from dimming? (already did the battery upgrade, didnt really help)

If you suggest HID's, then which do you recommend?

Should I upgrade my factory radio? I like the look, but if its necessary, than I will

And should I do the big 3 or is that not necessary?

Is it possible to keep my DIC (the steering wheel control, milage, temp etc) in my car if I do infact upgrade my radio?

Last edited by Derk1827; 11-16-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: forgot the last question
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 AM

Bump bump
Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
did u swap the battery terminals?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:26 AM
Banned

capacitor if you didn't already, at least a 1.5 farad cap and a new alternator couldn't hurt
Old 11-17-2009, 02:34 AM

To stop your lights from dimming, go buy a capacitor. Best buy has a 1farad capacitor by rockford fosgate for like 100 bucks. U can get a .5 farad capacitor at walmart for cheaper. Or maybe check the prices at a local audio shop. I've got the "walmart" capacitor in my balt with the audio setup that's listed in my sig with my stock battery. I don't know the exact wattage that I'm using but I havnt had any problems. Maybe to play it safe u should get the RF capacitor since your using 3 amps? And if u ever decided to get a more powerful system you'd already have the bigger capacitor
Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
did u swap the battery terminals?
Nope

Originally Posted by 09bluebalt
To stop your lights from dimming, go buy a capacitor. Best buy has a 1farad capacitor by rockford fosgate for like 100 bucks. U can get a .5 farad capacitor at walmart for cheaper. Or maybe check the prices at a local audio shop. I've got the "walmart" capacitor in my balt with the audio setup that's listed in my sig with my stock battery. I don't know the exact wattage that I'm using but I havnt had any problems. Maybe to play it safe u should get the RF capacitor since your using 3 amps? And if u ever decided to get a more powerful system you'd already have the bigger capacitor
Wouldn't that put more strain on my alternator?

Last edited by Derk1827; 11-17-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Derk1827
Wouldn't that put more strain on my alternator?
im not 100% positive but i want to say that it wont. when hooking up the capacitor you charge it up, then while listening to your music when it needs extra power, it gets the power from the cap instead of the battery (which would cause the dimming of headlights, gauge lights, etc.)
Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Nope

check to see if they are loose. physiclly grab them and see if you can twist them and or pull them up. the kinetik should have fixed your problems and before you start buying random stuff lets troubleshoot why it didn't

in case anyone forgot it took a T30001bd running for 2 minutes full tilt to drain my carquest battery and all i had was upgraded batt ground and terminals. now you can get dimming way before the battery is drained but im thinking terminals and upgraded ground would do you alot of good and if that doesnt work go with HID's

a capacitor is really there only for the dimming. it will not help the system at all so if you get to the point nothing fixes it then might as well get brighter lights vs a cap no?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
check to see if they are loose. physiclly grab them and see if you can twist them and or pull them up. the kinetik should have fixed your problems and before you start buying random stuff lets troubleshoot why it didn't

in case anyone forgot it took a T30001bd running for 2 minutes full tilt to drain my carquest battery and all i had was upgraded batt ground and terminals. now you can get dimming way before the battery is drained but im thinking terminals and upgraded ground would do you alot of good and if that doesnt work go with HID's

a capacitor is really there only for the dimming. it will not help the system at all so if you get to the point nothing fixes it then might as well get brighter lights vs a cap no?
The terminals are tight, but the dimming is not as bad as it was before. But it is still dimming, I will try upgrading the ground hopefully on thursday to see if that helps, if it doesnt, then what HID's do you recommend?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The terminals are tight, but the dimming is not as bad as it was before. But it is still dimming, I will try upgrading the ground hopefully on thursday to see if that helps, if it doesnt, then what HID's do you recommend?
www.3bspec.com is where i got my HID bulbs

like emp said you can do a mini big 3 and just upgrade your battery's ground wire to 0g, would prob only cost you around 20-25 bucks (cost of 2-3 feet of ground and 0g terminal, you would prob need a new battery terminal that accepts 0g wires)