Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

who has had fitment problems with aftermarket hu

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who has had fitment problems with aftermarket hu

i have a panasonic ghost face deck and i was wondering if i'm going to have fitment problems with installing it in the cobalt? where could i buy spacers to have the deck stick out a little bit? Is the wiring harness that crutchfield have the right harness?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:51 AM

we dont have any fitment problems with ours??? but its a sony but none the less you shouldnt
Old 11-08-2006, 11:56 AM

There are dash kits for everything. As long as your HU is a single DIN (standard size), you should be fine. If it's double DIN, there's a kit for that. Make sure you order the correct wiring harness from Scosche because if you don't you'll be both poor and SOL. If you order the right one, you'll just be poor because it costs $120. I believe the correct harness is GM13B.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by The_Blur
There are dash kits for everything. As long as your HU is a single DIN (standard size), you should be fine. If it's double DIN, there's a kit for that. Make sure you order the correct wiring harness from Scosche because if you don't you'll be both poor and SOL. If you order the right one, you'll just be poor because it costs $120. I believe the correct harness is GM13B.

Dash kit has a spacer. I had to use it with my sony ghost face
Old 11-08-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, you DON'T need the $120 harness!

The dash kits come with spacers that (IMO) look like garbage. If your deck is a little too deep (like mine was) you'll have to do some cutting on the plastic behind the deck, which is really no big deal. Works best to use a portable soldering iron with a hot knife attachment. Slices through that plastic like nothing.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:51 PM

i have a panasonic ghost face not sony.. Bandit do you know how long exactly ur deck is? Bandit where did you purchase your wiring harness and the dash kit? did you have to bypass ur factory amp?
Old 11-08-2006, 03:55 PM

120 wiring harness? I guess you must be selling it. That or you were retarted and bought it and dont want to be the only idiot at the party lol. I bought my wiring harness, dash kit, and attenna adapter, all for $20 lol And it all works fine.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by hardtocope
i have a panasonic ghost face not sony.. Bandit do you know how long exactly ur deck is? Bandit where did you purchase your wiring harness and the dash kit? did you have to bypass ur factory amp?
No I don't know exactly how long it is. It's an Alpine CDA-9853 (link here).

I bought it from Crutchfield since they throw in the harness, antenna adapter and dash kit with the purchase. My SS didn't have Pioneer system so I didn't have to bypass it.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Xavipheus
120 wiring harness? I guess you must be selling it. That or you were retarted and bought it and dont want to be the only idiot at the party lol. I bought my wiring harness, dash kit, and attenna adapter, all for $20 lol And it all works fine.
The upgraded system harness is $120. Thank god I kept it plain Jane. It was hell trying to get ahold of my harness (like a 2 week hell). As well as the dash kit. I found the kit at Best Buy, and the harness at Mobil 1. But I used the Malibu kit and it works just fine.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Former Cobalt Owner

I have a pioneer flip out and it sits snugglying in there haha. I have the cheap harness from crutchfield also. There is no need to buy the expensive harness. Everything on my car works fine.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:24 PM

I had to cut plastic and metal out from behind mine. If you are putting in RCA's you will almost have to cut out that metal and plastic back there. Even with out the RCA's though my Alpine would not fit in properly with out removing it.

I got my bracket and harness for $20 each from best buy. I went in telling them I am not buying the $120 scoche one and I just want the cheapo ones. They asked me a few questions before selling me them but after I aswered them all they told me that is all I needed anyways. I have had no problems and the other 100 or so posts about this every one else agrees get the cheapo one....Unless you really want to move your info bar to the center of your dash instead.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:13 PM

The freebies from Crutchfield are pretty good although the empty Din (lower part) is kinda loose and you might want to tape it up a bit from the back.

For the deck I had to cut out the plastic in the back and bent the metal back (it is pretty flimsy). I wanted to make sure the wires had some extra room so they don't rub against the deck or the sides and wear down over time. (Plus, the Antenna wire add on wouldn't fit right without the extra space.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:03 PM

i had to trim mine also with my clarion deck
Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by mesatrin
I had to cut plastic and metal out from behind mine. If you are putting in RCA's you will almost have to cut out that metal and plastic back there. Even with out the RCA's though my Alpine would not fit in properly with out removing it.
Same thing for me, except my Alpine fit good before I tried to plug the RCAs and antenna in. I didn't have to cut the metal, I just cut the plastic above it down to the metal. The RCAs run up and over the metal bar and plug into the deck.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:00 AM

does anyone have pictures of the part that everyone is trimming?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:46 AM

As soon as you take out the head unit you will see the plastic backed by metal that we are talking about. If I remember correctly it is X shaped and it goes from the right to left of the opening about 6" back. Right behind this peice is the air chamber going to the heating/air conditioning vents that are right above the head unit on the center dash. SO be careful not to pucture those if you take out the plastic and the metal.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mesatrin
As soon as you take out the head unit you will see the plastic backed by metal that we are talking about. If I remember correctly it is X shaped and it goes from the right to left of the opening about 6" back. Right behind this peice is the air chamber going to the heating/air conditioning vents that are right above the head unit on the center dash. SO be careful not to pucture those if you take out the plastic and the metal.
Yeah, and there's also a bundle of wires there that you have to be careful not to knick.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:37 AM

My eclipse H/U fit, but it is a little tight. I had no problems with the "cheap" freebies from Crutchfield as well as the "cheap" wiring harness. Over 13K like this and everything works fine.

Art
Old 11-09-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
No, you DON'T need the $120 harness!

The dash kits come with spacers that (IMO) look like garbage. If your deck is a little too deep (like mine was) you'll have to do some cutting on the plastic behind the deck, which is really no big deal. Works best to use a portable soldering iron with a hot knife attachment. Slices through that plastic like nothing.
The wiring harness makes sure that your gauges and computer work. I put in the wrong one and everything died. Then I called Scosche and they sent me the right one. You don't need it, but I strongly recommend knowing how much fuel your car has, how fast you are going, and generally being able to read your dash.

I never had to cut the deck. I'll post pictures of how my install looks as soon as possible.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:24 PM

i just hope that my aftermarket headunit will fit without cutting anything and that i don't pinch and wires when putting everything back together since everything is so cramped in the radio area..
Old 11-09-2006, 02:31 PM

dude.. it will take u 15 mins, take out your stock head unit and put in the after market to see if it fits!!!! its REALLY EASY! and if it dosent, sell the damn thing or do some custom work,...
Old 11-09-2006, 03:57 PM

The wiring harness makes sure that your gauges and computer work. I put in the wrong one and everything died. Then I called Scosche and they sent me the right one. You don't need it, but I strongly recommend knowing how much fuel your car has, how fast you are going, and generally being able to read your dash.

I never had to cut the deck. I'll post pictures of how my install looks as soon as possible.
Ummm, yeah, with the RIGHT wiring harness your gauges and computer work. You obviously either got the wrong one first or wired it wrong.

I have all of the dash functions as original and I didn't pay $120 for the harness.

So I'll say it again, YOU DO NOT NEED THE $100 HARNESS, AND YOUR DOOR CHIMES, DASH FUNCTIONS, ETC STILL WORK WITH THE CHEAP HARNESS!
Old 11-09-2006, 05:16 PM

I think your caps lock is stuck.

Mine's a 2005. Some are different than others based on the year. I know what I had to pay because at the time the part that you may be using may not have been available.

My stuff works because I do have the "right harness."

I'm just giving my $0.02. You don't need to bitch me out for it.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 PM

trimming the plastic back there is very important.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:10 PM

I think your caps lock is stuck.

Mine's a 2005. Some are different than others based on the year. I know what I had to pay because at the time the part that you may be using may not have been available.

My stuff works because I do have the "right harness."

I'm just giving my $0.02. You don't need to bitch me out for it.
I'm not bitching you out. Its just that every week someone comes on and talks about the $100 harness when it's common knowledge that it's not needed (yes, even for '05s).

Quick Reply: who has had fitment problems with aftermarket hu