Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

XM radio won't activate, how do I do a "hard reset"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 03:15 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
ah man good luck with you i dont even remember anything about this thread.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 xm radio issues

Originally Posted by 2009CobaltLT
Yep, but I'm sure if you just let XM know what is going on they can do the switch for you
Wondering if you ever got this solved. I have a 2009 Malibu that I cannot get activated. I have been on the phone with XM at least a dozen different times for over an hour each time. The radio shows the XM commerical channel and plays fine and it shows the activation serial number/XM phone number channel just fine. But when they try to activate it, it never works. They have tried multiple fixes on their end and have walked me through possible solutions on my end, but nothing works. Funny thing is, I had the radio activated several years ago and whenever they have the Free Listening events, it picks up all the stations just fine. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.
I have replaced the VCIM which I was told must be the issue. Not Cheap! and still the same issue persists.
Short of swapping out the stock radio for a new one I do not know what could be done to fix this!
Old 01-16-2021, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an update. I never did get my cobalt activated. I spent a lot of time in several different calls working with XM customer service and never did get it activate. My solution wound up being when my wife totalled the car and we replaced it with a Ford Fusion that activated just fine. I don't think it is a knock on GM or anything. JUst something on XM's end since the radio was able to receive the FREE week of XM that do every so often.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:58 PM

Received 288 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by esox07
Just an update. I never did get my cobalt activated. I spent a lot of time in several different calls working with XM customer service and never did get it activate. My solution wound up being when my wife totalled the car and we replaced it with a Ford Fusion that activated just fine. I don't think it is a knock on GM or anything. JUst something on XM's end since the radio was able to receive the FREE week of XM that do every so often.
That does sound like a XM issue. I know in my 2012 Ram I had issues getting it going as well back in 2017. It finally started working. I know that stereo had a lot of issues. The need to have a dealer unlock it for use was pretty stupid IMO.
The following users liked this post:
EmperorJJ1 (01-16-2021)