Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

Prototype Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prototype Supercharger

I'm about to buy a Cobalt SS/SC in a month. I already know what this car is cabable of, and I already have my future mods all in order. I'm actually going to tell you WHAT is going to be done, and how it is going to benefit Cobalt owners nationwide. The fact is, this has never been done before. If any of you know anything about superchargers, you'll already know that the M62 is the weakest supercharger that Eaton has designed. Sure, can produce substantial horsepower and certainly too much for a 2900lb FWD. At the same time, it needs lots and lots of boost and even at that....it is still very inefficient and it can be devastating to the pistons, especially under high, long loads. I've chatted with a very reputable builder that is working closely with a GM TOP FUEL team. We're going to do one of two things: either take the M62, completely re-fabricate/port and polish/add new internals to it, and ADD and after cooler, OR fabricate an M90 blower and add an aftercooler to it as well. It really depends upon how much all of this will cost ME in the end. Either way, the kit will be completely bolt-on and coming with a custom CAI, a fabricated header (2 inch primaries, 3 inch collector), and a full 3 inch catback, w/o the cat. The tuning will be done with HPTuners and with the help of 660cc injectors. According to my authorities, which I will not name until they are ready for this kit to be public, the kit is almost guaranteed to be well beyond 300whp with just 11psi. Yes, adding 100hp with no addition to boost whatsoever. What does this mean to you? It means sooner or later, there will be a kit out that delivers massive horsepower with exactly no reduction in reliability. Once I buy the car, it will be the prototype. I'll first post a dyno graph using a MUSTANG dyno of the car in completely stock form. After everything is said and done...I'll repost the car's new dyno graph, just so you can see it for yourself. Even better, I've also planned to have the head done by this same team. Again my authorities believe it will produce massive horsepower, possibly adding yet another 90-100hp. All in all, we're expecting nearly 400whp at around 15psi. All of this on stock internals. It's hard to believe, but if the car is running less boost w/ the right A/F ratios...how could it not handle that power. I'll keep you updated with the production of the kit.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adam0416
I'm about to buy a Cobalt SS/SC in a month. I already know what this car is cabable of, and I already have my future mods all in order. I'm actually going to tell you WHAT is going to be done, and how it is going to benefit Cobalt owners nationwide. The fact is, this has never been done before. If any of you know anything about superchargers, you'll already know that the M62 is the weakest supercharger that Eaton has designed. Sure, can produce substantial horsepower and certainly too much for a 2900lb FWD. At the same time, it needs lots and lots of boost and even at that....it is still very inefficient and it can be devastating to the pistons, especially under high, long loads. I've chatted with a very reputable builder that is working closely with a GM TOP FUEL team. We're going to do one of two things: either take the M62, completely re-fabricate/port and polish/add new internals to it, and ADD and after cooler, OR fabricate an M90 blower and add an aftercooler to it as well. It really depends upon how much all of this will cost ME in the end. Either way, the kit will be completely bolt-on and coming with a custom CAI, a fabricated header (2 inch primaries, 3 inch collector), and a full 3 inch catback, w/o the cat. The tuning will be done with HPTuners and with the help of 660cc injectors. According to my authorities, which I will not name until they are ready for this kit to be public, the kit is almost guaranteed to be well beyond 300whp with just 11psi. Yes, adding 100hp with no addition to boost whatsoever. What does this mean to you? It means sooner or later, there will be a kit out that delivers massive horsepower with exactly no reduction in reliability. Once I buy the car, it will be the prototype. I'll first post a dyno graph using a MUSTANG dyno of the car in completely stock form. After everything is said and done...I'll repost the car's new dyno graph, just so you can see it for yourself. Even better, I've also planned to have the head done by this same team. Again my authorities believe it will produce massive horsepower, possibly adding yet another 90-100hp. All in all, we're expecting nearly 400whp at around 15psi. All of this on stock internals. It's hard to believe, but if the car is running less boost w/ the right A/F ratios...how could it not handle that power. I'll keep you updated with the production of the kit.
AWESOME! Intense is also working on that as well! Good luck sourcing the belt, that might be a headache.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:07 PM

Good luck with all this, keep us posted.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:01 AM

Both the M62 and the M90 are identical in dimensions. The internals are the key factors in how the supercharger performs. The kit will run from the stock belt and pulley, unless I want more than 11-12psi. Since there will be an additional aftercooler, the car SHOULD run cooler with the same boost. However, the gas mileage will not be as good.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:34 PM

yeah but who cares about gas mileage...i know i don't!
Old 06-28-2006, 01:57 PM

Yeah, I don't either. I'm actually going to tune the car to make only moderate power up to about 4200RPM, since my cam profile will be significantly more aggressive. I imagine the flat line power curve will no longer exist. Probably will peak at around 6500, and once the head is ported, something like 7500RPM's can be expected. I'm not going any higher than that though. The idea is to leave as much stock as possible while still producing 350+whp on a lower boost setting.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I am also working on an m90 swap for my car.... just a matter of finishing off the intake adapter.... hopefully up and tuned by august. I'll keep you guys posted
Old 06-28-2006, 02:04 PM

New valve springs will be needed to run that kind of rpm. The stock clutch assembly will also hate that kind of power level, and switching out to an aftermarket clutch pack has proven to be dissapointing for most. It is rumored that the pistons will most likely not handle much more than 300 whp as well.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
at least one other group out there is doing some what of the same thing. they well make it known to the world when the kit is done...i wont take away from that.

also do you know what your going to have your cam profile at?...lift? durration?

good luck with the build its nice to see people out there finaly geting tired of the week m62 and looking for a way to replace/mod the blower insted of just going turbo.

good luck and do keep us posted.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

I don't understand why you would use an after cooler on our setup. If I am not mistaken you CAN'T put an after cooler on a root blower system. Oh well I might be dumb
Old 06-28-2006, 02:18 PM

ummmm dude....we have an aftercooler.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:44 PM

I wont touch the head until after I've installed and tuned the new blower. But when the head is built, it will have stiffer valve springs, retainers, new valves, and a serious port job. As for the pistons, I have warned the builder of this, but since he and his whole crew are far superior in knowledge of Chevy's and cars in general, I trust him to a greater extent than what I HEAR about the pistons. The fact is, it's not about horsepower to the pistons, it's about effective compression ratios and heat. The compression + boost will be lower than stock. The heat will increase, but only because there will be much more fuel put into the engine. This is why there will be an ADDITIONAL and larger aftercooler added to the car. So theoretically, the car will make WAY more power w/ less boost, and SHOULD run about the same temp. The pistons won't know the difference.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by kadumel
I don't understand why you would use an after cooler on our setup. If I am not mistaken you CAN'T put an after cooler on a root blower system. Oh well I might be dumb

You're not dumb, don't worry. Just a bit mis-informed. We have a Laminova aftercooler so to speak.. A heat-exchanger if you will.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:47 PM

The clutch and drivetrain will be delt with elsewhere. I'm supposed to get a Honda 6 puck clutch assembly mated to the LSJ tranny. If not I will have a specific clutch built from Exedy.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

Good luck keep us posted.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:06 PM

Good luck with this, I'm looking into going twin screw like whipple. They are much more efficient than the Heatons.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:12 PM

If any of you know anything about superchargers, you'll already know that the M62 is the weakest supercharger that Eaton has designed.
i thought the eaton 45 was the weakest/smallest...no?
Old 06-28-2006, 06:20 PM

i dident think eaton still made that dam 45series.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:58 PM

Well, my bad...I was referring to common still in production superchargers. I don't believe the Eaton45 is still around, although I'm not an expert on Eaton. I hope my point still got across to you guys that the M62 is in fact a very weak, inefficient supercharger. It's only used on the Cobalt because it is cheap, designed for relatively low boost, and keeps fuel consumption down, which is a key factor in production 4 bangers these days.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:04 PM

Well, my bad...I was referring to common still in production superchargers. I don't believe the Eaton45 is still around, although I'm not an expert on Eaton. I hope my point still got across to you guys that the M62 is in fact a very weak, inefficient supercharger. It's only used on the Cobalt because it is cheap, designed for relatively low boost, and keeps fuel consumption down, which is a key factor in production 4 bangers these days.

Yes there will be bigger gains with a blower that can move more air without having to run such a small pulley, and that will create less heat. Please keep in mind though, the blower is half the displacement of the engine! We have a 122 cubic inch motor, and a 62 cubic inch blower. Especially when ported, it will flow enough air for the majority of the people on here. Once you go forged pistons, compression will be increased, and you won't want to be running 20psi. Check out this article:

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...e8f9fc0a2af583
Old 06-29-2006, 09:47 AM

I see what you mean...however, that article did not address what would happen if you have a heavily ported M62, or an M90 with a heavily ported head, and a high flow 4-1 header, w/ 3inch collector, and a 3inch exhaust with no cat. I'm almost positive it will make far more power IF the rest of the motor can flow the added CFM. For the most part, I'm more concerned with running the same boost and run the car cooler by adding an aftercooler. I forgot to mention before...whether I use the M62 or the M90, the supercharger WILL be ported and modified, guts and plenum. This is a protoype, let's not forget that. I'll be paying a very low, one time cost for these guys to produce a kit that will perform beyond the stock blowers capability. If it does not turn out well, the team will revise the kit until it does. My car will be the test car, that's it. Whether or not they can do this is not the question, but at what or who's expense to make the power. The idea is to acheive the power levels high enough to run with the best, and yet keep all stock internal components of the motor, further increasing reliability. I also should add, these guys have successfully made a 5.7 small block produce 3600hp using only 100 octane. It shouldn't be a problem for them to make a 4 banger blower motor produce 350hp bolt-on. I hope this sheds some light.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:08 PM

Keep us posted!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:18 PM

Any updates on progress? And is there anyway we can help? I would like to see more supercharger R&D. I would hate to be running a class that has two power adders just because I have a twincharge you know what I mean? They run to fast. I dont know what the full rules are but the m90 or something close to it would be great for cobalts.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by chevytech007
Any updates on progress? And is there anyway we can help? I would like to see more supercharger R&D. I would hate to be running a class that has two power adders just because I have a twincharge you know what I mean? They run to fast. I dont know what the full rules are but the m90 or something close to it would be great for cobalts.
I don't know what you mean especially since I am going that route.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by chevytech007
They run to fast.
Hush your mouth!

- Solo

Quick Reply: Prototype Supercharger