Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

SMG's first...REMOTE MOUNT TURBO TWINCHARGED LSJ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elecblue06
i'd suggest looking at a 2.2 members STS build on here

thats the demo from the STS site see how even though it takes the same path it's much cleaner

also you could make the exhaust go under the axle someone on here has done it and it doesnt really cut down on any clearance this will make it so you can bring the turbo piping that direction
thats a SEMA car.

the idiot who tried this before on his 2.2 had a red car. rattle can body kit and all.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06black
thats a SEMA car.

the idiot who tried this before on his 2.2 had a red car. rattle can body kit and all.
xcobalt05x? lol
Old 12-17-2009, 04:06 PM

thats a SEMA car.

that "idiot" has also put down 260+ whp and 220 or so wtrq on a stock 2.2 engine..

and said "idiot" doesnt have the body kit or alot of that anymore albeit he got screwed on a bunch of things with the install but power wise the system performs

and as far as going a different route.. i'd have to say thats not the greatest idea based on all the bends you have and the amount more piping you have then that kit...

i'd look into some of the things I have mentioned with the exhaust as that'll help free up space.. then you can cut down on piping theres someone on here that has it but i cant find it atm
Old 12-17-2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
that "idiot" has also put down 260+ whp and 220 or so wtrq on a stock 2.2 engine..

and said "idiot" doesnt have the body kit or alot of that anymore

and as far as going a different route.. i'd have to say thats not the greatest idea based on all the bends you have and the amount more piping you have then that kit...

i'd look into some of the things I have mentioned with the exhaust as that'll help free up space.. then you can cut down on piping theres someone on here that has it but i cant find it atm
whooooo 260! thats allot huh!

waaa hooo. if it was 460, i might be impressed. but not 260. also, he often bragged about the built head he had on that car. so you cant call that motor "stock"

the area under the curve was junk. he dident take a moment to run the numbers himself and see that the hotside was way to big. hell, the compressor wheel was too big. it was all tied in with his "nevergonnahappen" power goals. He was doomed far before he started down that path.

still an idiot. wouldn't listen to a word of advice, went about it in about as ignorant of a manor as one could. popped a few motors, ect, ect. that body kit, rattle can and all, was only further insult to injury.

hell, look at your own car, at lesser boost your putting up almost equal numbers. that speaks tons for the efficiency of the setup's

SMG looks to have down sized the hotside. YEY, some one gets it! however, its hard to tell as no specs are given, but playing off the looks, its a small end t3.

the charge will cool massively over that length of un-insulated pipe. heat=energy. the extra air from the blower will help kick it in the ass.

i foresee greater results with SMG's kit as they have some experience, and hopefully some engineering behind it.

SMG, treat this as a proto kit. iterate from here, and it'll just keep getting better. I hope to see good numbers from this!
Old 12-17-2009, 04:24 PM

in all reality... the "amount" of piping in our kit compared to the one shows is minimal.... it really follows the same route for all tense and purpose... and it feeds into an aftermarket m62 CAI so it has to go under the engine and into the wheel well to do so. We did that so that customers with basic M62 bolt-ons could still uses this kit.... So in that aspect the plumbing is just defferent than the 2.2 car shown as it goes from under the car right up the firewall to feed into the N/A throttle body. And from past experience with remote mount kits... the length of the charge pipe from the rear to the front is a mute point as it doesnt effect the spool time... becuase as soon as the car is started and the pipe fills the volume of air is already there.

Think about a rear mount turbo setup on an extended cab pick-up... obviously longer wheel base than a balt and piping from back to front would be great which is why charge pipe lenght didn't bother us and its clear that its not hindering spool time if the 60-1 is spooling in the 3,000k rpm area

This is a t3 60-1 with a .63 a/r exhaust side. Also... 2 inch charge piping keeps the flow up (especially from a 60-1) and again mutes the point of the charge pipe length!

Thansk for the comments everyone. And like i started above this IS A PROTOTYPE Kit.... look for MUCH MORE in the very near future!
Old 12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
im still impressed with the setup, not to critique just notice some places for improvement...keep up the good work SMG
Old 12-17-2009, 04:33 PM

We definitely appreciate all the comments.... that is the only way we will be able to make things better and improve!

We will be the first ones to tell you that there are definite places for improvement.... but for the first go around where the goal was strictly functionality we are pleased so far with the results
Old 12-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 213 Likes on 172 Posts
I was at SMG last night and I didnt even get into the shop and Fred was like dont go in... im like what? hes like dont go in the shop were going for a ride.... I looked around. I said - in what?! he said look under the car pointing to a black ( what I thought was just plain old supercharged ) sitting next to mine... i gave him a puzzled look. He motioned again look under it he said. I saw a nice snail tucked up where the muffler would be. I said your sick lol. We went for a ride around the block and good golly is this car a fun setup. Best way to describe it is it has a NA pull style feel to it. It pulls continuously right off the line all the way up to redline theres no hesitation or waiting for any boost to build. I have pictures and video from this last night on the dyno working on the tune. Ill keep them to myself until Fred tells me otherwise. It really is a clean setup and i can only imagine what it will be like when the boost is upped.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:54 PM

whooooo 260! thats allot huh!

waaa hooo. if it was 460, i might be impressed. but not 260. also, he often bragged about the built head he had on that car. so you cant call that motor "stock"

the area under the curve was junk. he dident take a moment to run the numbers himself and see that the hotside was way to big. hell, the compressor wheel was too big. it was all tied in with his "nevergonnahappen" power goals. He was doomed far before he started down that path.

still an idiot. wouldn't listen to a word of advice, went about it in about as ignorant of a manor as one could. popped a few motors, ect, ect. that body kit, rattle can and all, was only further insult to injury.

hell, look at your own car, at lesser boost your putting up almost equal numbers. that speaks tons for the efficiency of the setup's

SMG looks to have down sized the hotside. YEY, some one gets it! however, its hard to tell as no specs are given, but playing off the looks, its a small end t3.

the charge will cool massively over that length of un-insulated pipe. heat=energy. the extra air from the blower will help kick it in the ass.

i foresee greater results with SMG's kit as they have some experience, and hopefully some engineering behind it.

SMG, treat this as a proto kit. iterate from here, and it'll just keep getting better. I hope to see good numbers from this!
comparing my car to his isnt fair.. I have a 2.4 he has a 2.2 lol

and 260 on a 2.2 isn't bad at like 11 psi.. there are M62 2.2s that dont put down that much

now i will say smg has a better turbo setup actually i would like to see them with the hot side of the other guys turbo since they have the m62 lol

but still keep the good work going i'm sure y the end it'll look/ perform great
Old 12-17-2009, 05:10 PM

This is what I want to do to my car someday, very interested, good work SMG! I was at the dyno day, very nice shop with tons of cobalt knowledge.

Any idea about pricing? Best part is people will think you're stock when looking under the hood!
Old 12-17-2009, 05:26 PM

Very cool...awesome sleeper aspect too
Old 12-17-2009, 05:28 PM

sub'd for later.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

when we were taking the drive around the block it was WEIRD hearing the spool from the rear. lol such a fun car.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
when we were taking the drive around the block it was WEIRD hearing the spool from the rear. lol such a fun car.
Did you happen to see the intake in the trunk. I want to see it
Old 12-17-2009, 05:46 PM
East Coast Cobalts

Wow i would have loved to be the Demo car for this! Good work!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM

nasty nasty nasty nasty car
Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 PM

get the **** outta here!!!!!!.....whats the price on this i WANT so bad ..........whats the admission for a ride in this
Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 PM

subd. looking good. clean her up a bit cmon! lol u guys are a shop show nice clean pics will look better on yall
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have wondered about doing this
Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Did you happen to see the intake in the trunk. I want to see it
yeah lol. i took pics and video.

Originally Posted by rico
subd. looking good. clean her up a bit cmon! lol u guys are a shop show nice clean pics will look better on yall
lol we were just talking about that last night actually.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07MetallicSC, is this your car?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

negative. We discussed this a while back but I did not have the funds. After seeing this last night as well I dont know if this would be doable on my car with the piping being run under the car. my car is lowered on H&R springs and my 3" hahn catback rests on the beam making a god awful sound. This car is stock height and there are NO clearance issues as the IC piping really doesnt hang any lower than the stock exhaust. I dont see this being a problem on cars with mild drops such as sportlines either.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 PM

sub.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
negative. We discussed this a while back but I did not have the funds. After seeing this last night as well I dont know if this would be doable on my car with the piping being run under the car. my car is lowered on H&R springs and my 3" hahn catback rests on the beam making a god awful sound. This car is stock height and there are NO clearance issues as the IC piping really doesnt hang any lower than the stock exhaust. I dont see this being a problem on cars with mild drops such as sportlines either.
Ah, gotcha. I was wondering because i don't understand someone putting this much money into the car, but not bothering to upgrade suspension in any way.

I was gonna e-smack you for letting the car get that dirty too

But,it's not yours, so cool beans.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:39 PM

ls1body, this was the nitrous built smg car in the past......

Quick Reply: SMG's first...REMOTE MOUNT TURBO TWINCHARGED LSJ!!!