Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

Turbos.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbos.

Alright. I know this is a dumb question and i tricked myself into not knowing it anymore so here it is.

I plan on getting a turbo next year.

but for now Im planning on getting a full exhaust system w/ headers.

If i was to get that . would that still work w/ the turbo or would i need new headers w/ the turbo since its running off of your exhaust manifold?

wow i really confused myself stupid here.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:22 PM

If you buy headers now, you're going to need to replace them for a higher performance header when it comes time for your turbo setup. If you're waiting a year because you need to get the money, I would go for the headers and custom exhaust now because you may change your mind about the turbo.
Go to a car parts store like Autozone and buy a exhaust header gasket for your 2.2L Ecotec, then take that down to an exhaust shop and have them make you a custom header. That is the best way to get a header made.
If you want custom exhaust I would go no higher then 3" all the way back or you're going to have back pressure problems and it will sound like crap. The same exhaust shop that makes your header should be able to custom taylor this for your car, but it wont exactly be cheap. I would get a quote first before you start making plans, you can't do anything if you don't have enough money
Old 08-17-2005, 06:20 AM

header!!!!!!!

and yes you will have to replace that header with a turbo manifold unless its a shorty header than you may be able to bolt the turbo to the shorty.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:40 AM

Unless there is ALOT of room where the header ends, you won't be able to use the header w/ a turbo. Even if there is enough room to stick a turbo on the end of it, you'll be much, much better off with a manifold/header designed for a turbo. The two designs are completly different as the design considerations for each are completely different.

Edit: And if you're serious about getting a turbo in a year, I wouldn't spend alot of money on a header. When you sell it, you'll be lucky to get 50% out of what you put into it. I'd focus on other supporting modifications first, such as fuel and (if you're going to run alot of boost) engine internals.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:24 AM

You can do your header now and look into an STS turbo system in the future. No need to replace your new header if you use them.

http://www.ststurbo.com/
Old 08-17-2005, 02:56 PM

header=naturally aspirated, exhaust manifold= forced induction, as far as an exhaust goes unless you are gonna go to a stage 2 turbo setup (all internals upgraded, fuel system upgraded, tranny upgraded) then a 3 inch exhaust is too big for your needs i would stay at a 2.5 inch like the dc sports exhaust for a stage 1 turbo. if you are really serious about going turbo with in the next year and you really need to spend money right now instead of saving up, then heres what i would suggest, choose from any of the following depending on how much you have to spend: oil pressure gauge(monitors oil pressure to make sure there are no leaks), air to fuel ratio gauge(helps with tuning the car), a boost gauge (hold on to until car is turboed, drop springs, sway bars, and strut bars (to get your new found turbo power to the ground and help with handling), dc sports exhaust (so u will already have the exhaust installed when its time to install the turbo), when you install the turbo i would suggest at least one step colder iriduim spark plus too, anyone else with any suggestions for him?