Front Page News Site Polls

55 Cobalt SS S/C Pictures!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeSS
Ok, this just had to said, its gone on long enough!
You guys are flaming a car because of how its parking brake looks???? JESUS! The parking brake could be made of peat moss and dirt for all I care, I only need it to hold my car from rolling down my driveway when I'm not in it.

I'll only be looking out my windsheild with a big, stupid, goofy grin on my face loving the SC thrust. Maybe I'll take the odd peek in my rear view mirror to see what car I just dusted.

I WON'T be looking down at my parking though while driving with the inner thought of shame on how "GM really cheap-out here"
Originally Posted by Vendian
Yeah, I did notice those scrapes. Hell It's not like the ebrake handle is something you couldn't replace if you really wanted to. Besides, when the hell do you ever look down at your ebrake while going super fast and care how ugly it is? I rest my case
That's exactly what I said!! AND I totally agree with whoever said everyone mods their engines, etc. why not the Interior? My cousin modded his interior along with his engine, suspension, etc. on his RSX-S. I thought it was awesome.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:19 PM

i just really want to see the car in person, i've been looking forward to that moment for quite some time now. hopefully the cars driving will speak for itself.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Banned

Both sides…

On one extreme you could say the interior of the car is absolutely irrelevant, and concerns regarding the quality of materials, fit and finish, pertain to “luxury buyers” only. On the other hand, you can say the interior of the car is where you spend 99% of your time, and therefore it’s very important.

IMO it’s a royal joke that GM cuts and pastes obvious chintzy materials together.

Let me draw a line of distinction; if GM had produced an interior in the Cobalt SS that equaled or surpassed an RSX the RAVES would be overwhelming. And I guarantee you everyone on this site buying an SS would be BIG TIME HAPPY about it!

So let’s not BS the point. The interior MATTERS A LOT, and the only reason people on this site discount the importance of the interior is because they’ve already conceded a “nice interior” to a “luxury car.”

That’s just bull…
Old 03-02-2005, 09:46 AM

Hey guys! This is my first post. Been reading for awhile, and love the site. I am planning to buy and SS/SC when available. Anyway, about the interior. While it is not the greatest in the world, its not bad either. It looks to be an improvement over my Sunfire (except the e-brake of course). But in all honesty, GM could make the interior out of balsa wood for all I care, and it really wouldn't make a difference to me. As long as it looks good going down the road, and has good power, that's what matters to me. Would I want to have to spend an extra grand or so just for a pretty interior..... NOOOO. You know if they would have spent more time on "improving the interior" that we would see that reflected in the price of the car, and that ain't worth it to me. If spending more for the interior is something you don't mind, then go do it, aftermarket is a wonderful thing.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kefner
Hey guys! This is my first post. Been reading for awhile, and love the site. I am planning to buy and SS/SC when available. Anyway, about the interior. While it is not the greatest in the world, its not bad either. It looks to be an improvement over my Sunfire (except the e-brake of course). But in all honesty, GM could make the interior out of balsa wood for all I care, and it really wouldn't make a difference to me. As long as it looks good going down the road, and has good power, that's what matters to me. Would I want to have to spend an extra grand or so just for a pretty interior..... NOOOO. You know if they would have spent more time on "improving the interior" that we would see that reflected in the price of the car, and that ain't worth it to me. If spending more for the interior is something you don't mind, then go do it, aftermarket is a wonderful thing.
For a first post you nailed it! I think that is the fact of the world we live in. You are not going to get a car with a supercharger/18' alloys/leather interior/sport tuned suspension/short throw shifter/pioneer sound system/etc/etc for anywhere near this price. To make a profit GM had to cut corners somewhere, and I am glad it was on items like the dashboard plastic, e brake handle, no center console etc then making the car only 170HP, or giving it only 16' wheels, or losing the P Zero's for some crappy tires.

Don't get me worng, I would love a nicer interior, but for the price I think you can't expect perfection. Look at the SRT-4's horrid interior, and it is only a few Hundred cheaper. A Mazda 3 or VW GTI have very very nice interiors for similar prices, but they lack the HP and standard goodies. Its all about you get what you pay for.

This is GM we are talking about. This interior is still ight years ahead for some of their recent attempts.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Banned

My last attempt on this…

I’m going to isolate the e-brake for the sake of simplicity. If you think for an instant the difference between GM making a profit and losing $$$ on this car is related to that, you’re [fill in the blank]!

Come on, stop justifying GM’s obvious lack of attention to basic details --- details that other car manufacturers solved years ago within a profitable window.

As far as “you get what you pay for,” that’s ECXACTLY what I'm *&#@ing talking about! If (IMO) you think for an INSTANT that some of the materials in the SS interior BELONG in a $22k car --- you’re either blind or just plain dumb…
Old 03-02-2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by rcatss396
I’m going to isolate the e-brake for the sake of simplicity. If you think for an instant the difference between GM making a profit and losing $$$ on this car is related to that, you’re [fill in the blank]!

Come on, stop justifying GM’s obvious lack of attention to basic details --- details that other car manufacturers solved years ago within a profitable window.

As far as “you get what you pay for,” that’s ECXACTLY what I'm *&#@ing talking about! If (IMO) you think for an INSTANT that some of the materials in the SS interior BELONG in a $22k car --- you’re either blind or just plain dumb…
The 22K price is for the performance parts.

If you can show me one car that lists for 22 000 new WITH the same/better performance (0-60, salom, etc) and a nicer interior then I'll shut up. And I mean 22 000 final price, not 22 000 base price (since the cobalt comes fully loaded stock).
Old 03-02-2005, 11:11 AM

Not for arguments sake or to start a fight

but I thought I would compare other cars out there with similar performance, demographics, prices, market goals, etc with the Cobalt to see the kind of deal we are getting

These are all base prices, so they are missing a lot of the goodies of the cobalt (leather, bigger wheels, upgraded sound system, etc)

SRT 4 - base $21 195 - neon interior, 'nuff said
Mustang GT - base $24 995 - one ugly interior, no rear space at all, gas guzzler, but is faster
Civic SIR - base $19 735 = not a bad interior, but way way slower
RX-8 - base $25 920 (197hp) $27420 (238hp) - Nicer in everyway then a cobalt, but much more money
350Z - base cheap-o version $27 060/ track version $34 860 - Again nicer and faster, but a lot more money
GTI - base $20 085 1.8T/ $22 905 VR6 - Nicer interior, but again slower
TSX - base $27 560 - nicer interior again, but slower again
A4 1.8T - base $26 520 - nice nice interior, wayyy slower
Accord sedan - Base LX-V6 $24 315 - About as fasT, kinda boring interior....and it is no way as good a handler and it is a family sedan
Mazda 6 - V6s $23 840 - Nice car, but again a bit slower and not so responsive, and at this price missing a lot fo goodies. Grand Touring starts at $26 000
Altima - 3.5SE $23 710/ SE-R $29 760 - Nice fast fast car, again a lot of money for the performance version.
RSX Type-S - $24 140 - really nice interior, similar performance, but over $2000 more money still
Accord coupe - LX-V6 $24 415 - similar to sedan, but even more cash
Tiburon GT - $22 000 - hahaha
Mini cooper S - $20 449 - Here is the closest I could find with a nicer interior, cheaper price, cool caR, but still even with the S/C it is slower.
Celica GTS - $22 335 - slow

See I don't think we are getting ripped off! Now wheres my car GM?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by MikeSS
Mustang GT - base $24 995 - one ugly interior, no rear space at all, gas guzzler, but is faster
Mike great post, I'm glad you brought this up as well...if you guys are pissed about the Cobalt SS interior do me a favor...stop by a Ford dealer today and sit in the new Mustang. Every bit of plastic and materials on the car is of the same quality as my girlfriends 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Cheap, poorly assembled and the worst part is that the car may have an MSRP of 25k but most dealers markup is around 30k +.

(^^^Another reason why the rustang can't compete with the GTO)

Could the Cobalt SS be better? Yes, and GM is the largest car corporation in the world so they could have no problem doing it. But if I can't have both sick performance and a great interior...I'll pick the great performing car with the shitty e-brake
Old 03-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Banned

More...

Yo guys, I’m not talking “value perception” verses other cars, you’re completely missing my point.

Here’s an example, and I’m NOT trying to sell anyone on a Honda etc. Take the entry level Civic Coupe ($14k).

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...me=Civic+Coupe

Now forget about performance for a minute and just look at the interior quality. Keep in mind this car retails $8k LESS than the CobaltSS. The Civic interior certainly isn’t “luxurious” by any standard, but it is well designed, well integrated and executed with good quality materials. Nothing fancy, nothing super expensive, just good solid interior design and execution. OK???

Now, contrast that to the Cobalt (and forget about Mustangs, Neons and other crap). If GM is the biggest car manufacturer on the planet, it’s NOT TO MUCH TO EXPECT A WELL DESIGNED, WELL EXECUATED INTERIOR!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Feet Deep
But if I can't have both sick performance and a great interior...I'll pick the great performing car with the shitty e-brake
Im with you on this, it's just an e-brake. You shouldnt expect more from GM, the new corvette's interior is somewhat plasticy too.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:34 PM

guys let it go, its a FREAKIN e-brake get over it, if you dont like it then replace it end of story.......now moving on!

Old 03-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Banned

a source of disappointment

Here's my main issue...

I had really high hopes the SS would be killer inside and out (I’ve had a 2000 Z24 and 2004 LS Sport). Months ago, before the car was on the street, GM sent me a postcard followed by a brochure. The car looked much better pre-production (on paper) than it seems to now appear based on the actual "real production car" photos on this thread.

In addition, there was hype on the net about how this car was going to redefine GM in the small car market --- with really nice interior etc. Sorry man, but based on the production car photos, the car is a MAJOR disappointment to me (and it’s not just because of the ridiculous e-brake).

I’m actually hoping someone from GM cares enough to listen to a life long GM customer (that’s me) and maybe decide to cut the crap with the cheap **** crap. But as someone else said, that’s probably expecting way too much from GM! If that’s the real truth, it’s a very sad state of affairs…

RSX here I come.

Later.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:04 PM

Here's my main issue...

I had really high hopes the SS would be killer inside and out (I’ve had a 2000 Z24 and 2004 LS Sport). Months ago, before the car was on the street, GM sent me a postcard followed by a brochure. The car looked much better pre-production (on paper) than it seems to now appear based on the actual "real production car" photos on this thread.

In addition, there was hype on the net about how this car was going to redefine GM in the small car market --- with really nice interior etc. Sorry man, but based on the production car photos, the car is a MAJOR disappointment to me (and it’s not just because of the ridiculous e-brake).

I’m actually hoping someone from GM cares enough to listen to a life long GM customer (that’s me) and maybe decide to cut the crap with the cheap **** crap. But as someone else said, that’s probably expecting way too much from GM! If that’s the real truth, it’s a very sad state of affairs…

RSX here I come.

Later.
You make a valid point. And for you that dont agree about the interior issues. Some of you are just focusing on one comment and simply ignoring what is trying to be said. I agree with the statement above about the cobalt, and how it was suppose to be something new and not typical. For some people it is dissapointing to see that some materials in the vehicle are a lower grade than some of GM's small cars now.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:25 PM

rcat...you do make a valid point and if your happy with buying the rsx go ahead...atleast I know if I get a SS and go to florida I know atleast one person I can race...and beat.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:51 PM

is the cobalt really gonna be sold for 22k(msrp) my dealer said they will go for around 26,000-ish
Old 03-02-2005, 06:13 PM

Die-hard GM fans who love the Cobalt may not care about things like the parking brake handle so much, but perhaps Honda and Toyota owners will. Keep in mind that Chevrolet is not just trying to lure GM buyers, but also import buyers who probably have high expectations for their cars -- and we know the media will be quick to report any negative thing about the Cobalt they happen to find.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by s113
Die-hard GM fans who love the Cobalt may not care about things like the parking brake handle so much, but perhaps Honda and Toyota owners will. Keep in mind that Chevrolet is not just trying to lure GM buyers, but also import buyers who probably have high expectations for their cars -- and we know the media will be quick to report any negative thing about the Cobalt they happen to find.
Thats a good point too. Most of us GM owners are use to certain things that others find not acceptable. The media always seems to enjoy giving any type of crisitism toward GM sometimes its right but usually its not.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:09 PM

I think you guys are leaving one important thing out!

And that is................

If GM took the time to get the better quality things, fabricate everything from that, put in on the car, make sure it's all nicey nice.... Ummmmmmmmmmmmm

WE WOULD ALL BE WAITING FOR OUR CARS UNTILL DECEMBER OF 2006 <--- Saying that with a little bit of humor... But I think you all now what I'm tring to say!!
Old 03-02-2005, 09:13 PM

Perhaps you should look at the car in person before finally deciding, pictures are often misleading.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nocturn
Perhaps you should look at the car in person before finally deciding, pictures are often misleading.
I have seen the car in person thats why I still want to get one.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:11 AM

I took the pictures, and it wasn't like the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw the e-brake was, "God that thing is ugly..." The first thing I thought was, "o look the e-brake." I didn't care, and now that i think of it, I released it to see what it would be like without an armrest, and It wasn't bad. Besides, your arm can rest in your lap when you're not shifting.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Vendian
I took the pictures, and it wasn't like the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw the e-brake was, "God that thing is ugly..." The first thing I thought was, "o look the e-brake." I didn't care, and now that i think of it, I released it to see what it would be like without an armrest, and It wasn't bad. Besides, your arm can rest in your lap when you're not shifting.
Yeah, my hand is always on the gear shift, even during highway runs, so it isn't going to be a big deal to me.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:31 AM

Yo guys, I’m not talking “value perception” verses other cars, you’re completely missing my point.

Here’s an example, and I’m NOT trying to sell anyone on a Honda etc. Take the entry level Civic Coupe ($14k).

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...me=Civic+Coupe

Now forget about performance for a minute and just look at the interior quality. Keep in mind this car retails $8k LESS than the CobaltSS. The Civic interior certainly isn’t “luxurious” by any standard, but it is well designed, well integrated and executed with good quality materials. Nothing fancy, nothing super expensive, just good solid interior design and execution. OK???

Now, contrast that to the Cobalt (and forget about Mustangs, Neons and other crap). If GM is the biggest car manufacturer on the planet, it’s NOT TO MUCH TO EXPECT A WELL DESIGNED, WELL EXECUATED INTERIOR!!!
And what is so hot about that interior?? Looks like a bunch of plastic with a little more curve to the dash than the Cobalt. About the only thing I will give the Honda is the arm rest, but I could care less about a arm rest. I don't get what you think is so much better with the Civic interior over the Cobalt, besides having an arm rest.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by s113
IMO this is really right on. It's too late for GM to get me on this car, but for those of you who think people who like Honda etc. don't see a discernable difference in certain quality/design aspects (in relation to GM) you're not paying attention to a MAJOR part of the market.

I was a loyal GM buyer for many years (I’ve probably bought or leased 10+ GM cars) and I discounted everything Honda etc. and just gave GM a free pass for some pretty obvious quality issues. But I'm tired of getting annihilated on resale value and so forth. Is resale value based solely on perception, or are there other factors? IMO its perception and factory policy. Obviously rebates destroy value… Cobalts (albeit non-SS) are already being rebated!?

So if someone takes a peak inside a Cobalt SS and spots a mixed bag interior with some obvious/glaring chunks of crap --- that reinforces the IMPRESSION that GM cannot produce a car (at less than a Cadillac price) that looks “well designed and well integrated.” The $$$ value in the market of that is undeniable, although the perceived value is entirely subjective (thus you may not care but MANY others do care).

Someone commented that the Civic coupe interior wasn’t anything great. Guess what, I agree! But the difference is (if you actually directly compare) the Civic is a little better in EVERY way, and a lot better in a few ways. When you add it up it makes a substantial difference. To me the good news is that GM should be able to close the gap given their enormous resources, but for some reason they seem unable or unwilling. So therefore I have become unable and unwilling to accept the same old crap…(capitalism at its best, and the consumer rules)!

Furthermore, I would only say this. If everyone who wants to buy a Cobalt SS told GM the following, the marketplace would follow: “Listen GM, we really dig what you’re doing with this car --- power plant is thumbs up, styling is cool, handing is great… But, unless and until you hire a world-class interior designer (someone who knows how to get more out of less), we’re not going to settle for 2nd class ANYMORE.

Quick Reply: 55 Cobalt SS S/C Pictures!!