Front Page News Site Polls

Cobalt SS to Battle the Imports on upcoming "Street Tuner Challenge" Show

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cobalt SS to Battle the Imports on upcoming "Street Tuner Challenge" Show

Street Tuner Challenge Debuts on Speed Channel Wednesday Nights Starting June 29th

Was Productions Inc. – ratchets up the Speed Channel Wednesday night broadcast schedule with full-tilt energy starting Wednesday, June 29th…. From the producers of the top of the line automotive build show Chop Cut Rebuild comes Street Tuner Challenge… where muscle once ruled the streets this dynamic new show flexes “tuner power” - riveting its focus on 13 episodes where the global gauntlet is cast in the ultimate design alteration challenge of sport compacts.

From Germany, Volkswagen weighs in with the sleek Jetta Mark V – Next Generation. Japan counters with a classic 1993 Nissan Skyline GTR. On the home front, General Motors Performance Division swings out a super-charged 2005 Chevy Cobalt SS.

Three ready to sizzle cars - all destined for a no holds barred, radical transformation from some of the automotive industry’s most boldly inventive Designers and Technicians.

Shot on location in state-of-the-art automotive facilities across America - WAS INC brands its newest broadcast series with its signature ‘coyote’ style – where music video meets documentary and innovative production values shine.

Street Tuner Challenge… with its creative team under direction from veteran Executive Producer Dan Woods, delivers the full spectrum of builds and bling in tuner modification, and lifestyle. With internationally acclaimed voice talent, Suzanne Sutchy, hosting as narrator, the capture of this exciting automotive realm…is ready for release.

Street Tuner Challenge ramps up and rolls out – Wednesday nights starting June 29th at 7:30 & 10:30…Catch it on Speed Channel.

Story Source: http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2005/5/emw241777.htm
Old 07-01-2005, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just saw this show last night it looks to be very interesting the skyline will be tough to beat
Old 07-07-2005, 06:35 AM

yah, caught for the first time last night. they could be a bit more detailed about the cars and do less "inovative" and "music video". They are doing the whole NOPI style coverage, they say what they are doing generally or with little detail, then they show a quick montage of what they did. Still looks like a pretty cool show, though tossing in a skyline doesn't seem fair!
Old 07-07-2005, 03:26 PM

yeah i dont understand why it has to go against the king of all tuners i mean theres no way a fully modded skyline verse a cobalt is gonna be fair, it doesnt take much to pull 1000 hp out of a skyline
Old 07-07-2005, 03:29 PM

Ahh but to be top dog you got to take out the best!
Old 10-06-2005, 02:19 AM

Street Tuner Challenge Finale

They ran the track test, dyne test and media show today on STC.

Cobalt seems wasn't a favorite of the media because it was the only purpose built car there.

Jetta got best interior and the Skyline got best engine I think.

On the dyno -

Stock SS - 212hp at the wheels SAE

Modified SS - 235hp at the wheels SAE (the Grand Am Cup cars are around this level)

Skyline - 801hp

Jetta - 191hp with turbo and nitrous.

At Buttonwillow, they ran the shorter course I believe.

Stock SS - 2:15 best lap

Modified SS - with GM driver Jon Hinceny (sp) at the wheel - 1:58

Skyline - 2:05

Jetta - 2:15

They didn't say who won the challenge which I think it BS, Chevy clearly won on the track, while the Skyline one on the dyno and the Jetta was the media's favorite. So I guess it is a 3 way tie.

But GM made its intentions known. Powell Motorsports built and prepped the car and GM pulled one of its top drivers to drive it.

I have it on the Tivo if you want to see it.

The Cobalt looks nice I like it, very hardcore. Your not going to drive it on the street...

Pictures of the final built here -

http://www.streettunerchallenge.tv/main.html

I expect this car to be at the SEMA show next month as well if your lucky enough to go.