General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

On*star

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On*star

has anyone played with their on star yet? haha i love it whenever im with my friends ill call em up and talk to the people there, its kinda cool, they know about everything about your car and where you are and everything, next i wanna see if they know my speed while im goin like 130, hahs....and i drove my dads 2006 impala ss tday, and that thing flys i love it
Old 10-05-2005, 06:21 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used it when I had a check engine light. They can do a remote diagnostic and tell you what's wrong.

I think on my next trip home (5 hr ride) I'm just going to call in and have a conversation to break bordem.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 PM

I personally wouldn't want any of that stuff on my car. Just think, they could monitor how much you speed, what tops speeds you hit, how many Check Engine Lights turn on, how many times to accellerate hard, or even do hard braking.

Leave that stuff outta my car, thanks!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Roger@AEM
I personally wouldn't want any of that stuff on my car. Just think, they could monitor how much you speed, what tops speeds you hit, how many Check Engine Lights turn on, how many times to accellerate hard, or even do hard braking.

There's still the damn little black boxes, even though those are SUPPOSED to only be used in the event of a crash I'd still rather not have them at all.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:12 PM

yea, the car itself still records speed, cel's, etc.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:33 PM

agree'd
Old 10-06-2005, 12:33 AM

You guys are just a bunch of conspiracy theorists. they should make an episode of 'Conspiracy' on the history channel, about OnStar lol
Old 10-06-2005, 12:37 AM

Agreed. You peeps freak me out, And OnStar freaks you out!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:43 AM

Since when did GM become a police force? Do you think they'd get a lot of customers if they called the cops on you everytime you speed?

At least if you are speeding, you're doing it in a safer way because you have OnStar!!!

I'm not getting it because I live in a large city, so it would never be used. Too many people around. If I was in the middle of no-where, it would be the best thing to have.

Trust me, the US gov't could track you with a satellite if they were that interested in busting your bad road habits!

They might even be able to shoot lasers from space at you one day!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by mi6_
Since when did GM become a police force? Do you think they'd get a lot of customers if they called the cops on you everytime you speed?

At least if you are speeding, you're doing it in a safer way because you have OnStar!!!

I'm not getting it because I live in a large city, so it would never be used. Too many people around. If I was in the middle of no-where, it would be the best thing to have.

Trust me, the US gov't could track you with a satellite if they were that interested in busting your bad road habits!

They might even be able to shoot lasers from space at you one day!
No here they just use the EZPass on the toll roads. They can't write you an "official" citation (yet), but has anyone else ever gotten an angry letter from the Turnpike commission? I don't remember whether any of mine are from PA but I've gotten them from other states. The automatic toll transmitter sends them information on what interchange you entered at, where you exited, total time, and calculated average mph. If I can find one of mine I'll scan it, but I don't think they survived my last move. They're trying to pass legislation to allow them to write tickets based on that data as well, but it hasn't passed yet.

So, believe it or not, stuff like that IS out there.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:42 AM
The Stig

Originally Posted by alleycat58
No here they just use the EZPass on the toll roads. They can't write you an "official" citation (yet), but has anyone else ever gotten an angry letter from the Turnpike commission? I don't remember whether any of mine are from PA but I've gotten them from other states. The automatic toll transmitter sends them information on what interchange you entered at, where you exited, total time, and calculated average mph. If I can find one of mine I'll scan it, but I don't think they survived my last move. They're trying to pass legislation to allow them to write tickets based on that data as well, but it hasn't passed yet.

So, believe it or not, stuff like that IS out there.
It is out there, but not yet accepted in court (thank god).

Thinking of how controlling the govt is getting makes me want to throw a fit lol.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:48 PM

I think it is pretty damn neat! But I wouldn't want that antenna
Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by mi6_
I'm thinking more of them checking your car and determine whether or not to warranty your car or not.

With the GPS system in the car, they can also tell where you have gone. Once I was at American Honda, and on the desk of one of the techs, he was watching a car drive around from a desk top GPS device.

I'd personally just like to keep big brother from looking over my shoulder.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:25 PM

yea my friend with a monte carlo ss ripped his reciever or whatever out
Old 10-06-2005, 04:02 PM

its not that GM or ON star , but its something that has been talked about coming from the government

it would allow the police to disable a car to prevent the car chases , be able to free up a cops time if you drove through a speed trap zone

and you guys thinks its funny and not coming but itll be here before you all think

if anyone watched the street tunerz show , got to see the VW tell you , that you have excieded the max speed limit for the car , and now your warrenty is VOID !!!!!!

only way to prevent it from coming is to keep up with the laws they are trying to pass , and fight them before they can get to far
Old 10-06-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 97cavie24ls
if anyone watched the street tunerz show , got to see the VW tell you , that you have excieded the max speed limit for the car , and now your warrenty is VOID !!!!!!
Standalone EMS would eliminate that fear! hehe.....