General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

270 hp Cobalt SS at SEMA

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
270 hp Cobalt SS at SEMA

From GMI:

Vehicle Highlights

With the production SS Supercharged arriving in dealers later this year, GM Performance Division has already been tweaking. Never a group that can leave well enough alone, Performance Division’s modus operandi can be clearly seen in the Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe. This vehicle was created to demonstrate the potential for street performance. The subtle exterior treatment of this show vehicle cloaks a host of engineering upgrades that yield significant improvements in acceleration and handling. Horsepower hits 270, larger brakes spin at the ready, and a lowered suspension steadies the chassis. Carbon fiber cues hint at the performance potential of this complete package.

Supercharged and intercooled 2.0L engine producing 270 horsepower
Functional fresh air intake integrated into hood
Fabricated air intake box
Low-restriction exhaust system from the catalyst rearward
Traction-enhancing limited-slip differential added to the heavy-duty five-speed manual transmission
Suspension lowered by 40 mm (1.6 inches) and tuned by GM High Performance Vehicle Operations (HPVO)
Large-diameter four-wheel-disc braking system with Baer rotors and production calipers
19-inch wheel and tire package
Audio system with Pioneer Electronics speakers and Alpine amplifiers
Aftermarket Motorola cell phone with IHF 1000 Premium Car Kit
Re-trimmed, custom interior that highlights SS heritage
Exterior styling that explores new concepts based on production Cobalt SS Supercharged

Cobalt SS Supercharged Sedan

Vehicle Highlights

Though not currently produced, the Cobalt SS Supercharged sedan explores the “what if.” Enthusiasts have always looked within their project car’s family tree to source existing high-performance components. The GM Performance Division engineers responsible for the Cobalt SS Supercharged Sedan sourced a multitude of pieces from the production Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe and Saturn Ion Red Line. The aftermarket provided this hot sedan’s enhanced breaking and entertainment systems, while the hands of skilled craftsmen created the custom interior.

Performance-enhanced 2.0L supercharged engine producing more than 230 horsepower
Air intake box from the production Cobalt SS Supercharged coupe
Low-restriction exhaust system from the supercharged Saturn Ion Red Line
Traction-enhancing limited slip differential added to the heavy-duty four-speed automatic transmission
Suspension lowered by 40 mm (1.6 inches)
Large-diameter four-wheel-disc braking system
18-inch wheels and tires from Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe
Audio system with Pioneer Electronics speakers and Alpine amplifiers
Re-trimmed, custom interior that highlights this sedan’s membership in the SS family
Enhanced exterior styling package that takes the production Cobalt SS tirm to the next level

Old 11-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmmmm....both cars look amazing and the taillights are so hot on both of them
Old 11-01-2004, 11:41 AM

You missed these...

CHEVROLET COBALT SEMA SPECIAL EDITION
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/sema2004/cobalt_spo.php

COBALT SS BONNEVILLE SPEEDSTER PREPARES TO WRITE NEW CHAPTER IN SPEED ON BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/sema20...bonneville.php

We have some other non-Cobalt stuff here:
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/gallery.php?eid=433

I'll have full coverage from SEMA starting Wednesday. I've been helping out with some of the SEMA cars for the past couple of weeks, so I've had a good look at some Cobalts, as well as a couple of other cars. You guys won't be disappointed. I'm not sure all the companies that have Cobalts, but I do know that Motegi, Borla and RK Sport both have coupes, Gravana and RSM have sedans, and there are at least a dozen other companies that have one.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:12 PM

I've got more...

That black coupe (which is actually a very deep green, believe it or not) is putting out 270hp @ 7000rpm.

Yes, boys and girls, the 2.0 Ecotec is capable of much more power, simply by raising the redline. I am not yet 100% sure of all the other engine mods on that car, but I can tell you it is a stock bottom end and stock supercharger.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:49 PM

i was hella gonna post that article last night, but i couldnt get on the web-site. damn
Old 11-01-2004, 12:51 PM

and the 4 door ss resembles mazda 3 all the way and i like the mazda 3, and i'm hella diggin the 4 door ss s/c. i think it looks pretty nice and clean. i like the color on it too pretty sweet, as far as the 270hp ss black one, get rid of the scoop, and put stock wing on which i love, sure its big but it fits the car imo. and you have a winner.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:32 PM

Wow...the black SS is pretty much how I'd LOVE to do my car. Especially the FUNCTIONAL hood scoop. 8O Like a dream come true. The body is even simple enough for me. Nothing too outrageous...clean and neat. I love it. I hope this is a kit they sell...along with the function hood scoop! Great find Jonel.

Edit: Minus the wing, of course.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

I like that body kit, except I like the RK Sport SS-style hood better. I wish we had more particulars on how they got 270hp out of the engine. That's around the level where I wanna be. If the bottom end is stock and the S/C is stock, and it's making the power at 7k.... man that is exactly what I want.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:55 PM

I'll have the full specs on Wednesday, unless someone beats me to it tomorrow since I won't be at SEMA tomorrow. I can tell you that they (obviously) raised the redline past 7000 - which automatically will add power, since the 2.0SC is continuing to build power when it hits the stock rev limiter. Also of course it has a functional ram air, and free flowing exhaust. There are other ECU tweaks done as well, and I would not doubt if the top end (ie. cams) were modified as well - that is just speculation though, all I know for sure is a good amount of power was made only by modifying the ECU.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

Nice, I'll be looking forward to seeing that info!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:17 PM
JPK

Originally Posted by Dave
I'll have the full specs on Wednesday, unless someone beats me to it tomorrow since I won't be at SEMA tomorrow. I can tell you that they (obviously) raised the redline past 7000 - which automatically will add power, since the 2.0SC is continuing to build power when it hits the stock rev limiter. Also of course it has a functional ram air, and free flowing exhaust. There are other ECU tweaks done as well, and I would not doubt if the top end (ie. cams) were modified as well - that is just speculation though, all I know for sure is a good amount of power was made only by modifying the ECU.

Man, they better give up the codes for us Ion Redline owners, dammit!!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:11 AM

damn only if that 270hp version came in 6 speed, that would be sweet,
Old 11-02-2004, 04:59 PM

I wasn't really to impressed with the standard sedan but that SS looks nice!! Not that I 'd ever buy one though.

And the 270hp coupe is killer!!!!!!!

I just wish they would have annouced the performance upgrade sooner and had it available to order. I hope I'll be able to get it installed later for a reasonable price. I could care less about the recaro's, I'm sure that they are nice and all, but I don't really see a need for them.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:ROOOOOL::

i think that sums it up
Old 11-03-2004, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by RedCavyRS99
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:ROOOOOL::

i think that sums it up
Not quite....

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL:

.....ok that's good. Carry on. Ahem.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:16 AM

this one is kinda blurry
Old 11-04-2004, 08:45 AM

MOORRRREEE
Old 11-04-2004, 11:29 AM

How about 277 more?

http://www.j-body.org/gallery/galler...sdir=Wednesday

including...

Old 11-04-2004, 01:47 PM

nice pics dave, any more info on the cobalt 272 concept? gonna make it into production? is gm making power packages, ie. ecu upgrades anything like that?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:48 PM

rksport body kit takes the cake, i hella want it. looks simple and is the cleanest out of all of them. i like it.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:47 PM

i really like that front end on the sedan...aggressive as hell...yet clean. so i guess they dont have just the regular cobalt there? anyone find anything out about the supposed performance package yet?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

aaahh i hope the pittsburgh auto show has all that stuff there. too bad i have to wait till january!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

The RK Sport kit is sweet. Seems like an inch and a half drop is the standard for Cobalts, looks great too.

More info about the 272 would be great, if you can get it. Looks like on the SS S/C Sedan that they increased power from 205 to 233 by increasing the boost to 16 PSI and thats it. I guess the exhaust and intake work on the 272 along with a higher redline (6400 to over 7k) add up to take it the rest of the way.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:50 PM

Ok, I have more realistic information on the 270hp car. The chances of seeing that anytime soon is slim to none unfortunately - BUT it will be possible to pull similar numbers with your own modifications. The 230hp is a bit different though. There has been a rumor floating around lately, which I have confirmed. GM is working on staged upgrades for the 2.0SC engine. The 230hp sedan accurately shows what a first stage would comprise of. A smaller supercharger pulley would be the basis of the kit, and it would also reprogram your ECU to properly support the higher boost with more fuel. The package GM is working on currently would probably increase power to the 230 to 240hp range. Of course, like anything coming from the company, this is something that is only in an early development phase. Since it is still early on, anything can happen - so anytime you go to a show (SEMA IAS, for example) talk to the GM reps and make sure you share your opinion that you would be interested in such packages.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:23 AM
Premium Member

Nice....the RKSport one kinda makes it look too much like a neon SRT4....which i'm not too big a fan of

Quick Reply: 270 hp Cobalt SS at SEMA