General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

3300 miles and 1 major problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3300 miles and 1 major problem

So I just hit 3300 miles on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS and I have one major problem and a few minor ones. Have any of you ever had any of these problems before? I scheduled some work to be done on my baby for Monday to try and fix some of them but I don't know if I just got unlucky or if these are common problems.

1) The weather stripping air tight foamy spongy stuff that sticks to the car to help the door close quieter and to keep the car air tight looks like it was rotted or something in the top right corner... It's all faded and off colored (compared to the rest of the black foamy spongy stuff) and it's peeling away I can fit my fingers through it. It's very annoying when I'm driving and my whole car is pindrop quiet except for just behind my head to the left...

2) My Reverse-Release lever button on my shift knob BROKE OFF! It just literally broke the hell off,... now.. it looks like it's supposed to be able to snap on and off if you take apart the shift knob... but this thing? Broke. I can see the broken bits of plastic, and it won't stay on there anymore. Sometimes when I'm shifting it'll fall off and I have to grab it so I don't lose it and stick it back on there.

3) The passenger door window crank (manual windows/locks) rattles like crazy, like it was never fully seated properly out of the factory. When I'm driving aside from the air I hear from up behind my head to the left, I hear a near constant rattling of my window crank. I always have to lean over and move it just right so it'll stop rattling cause it drives me crazy.

4) Those were the minors... here's the major problem. My engine stalls. Sometimes if I put it in Drive too quickly after I start it, it just stalls. Straight up, no warning, just stops running as if I turned the key off. It also stalls rarely if I take a corner too wide with the wheel all the way to the left or right. It stalls sometimes when I kick it from Neutral to Drive too. Any ideas as to what might cause this?

Have any of you ever experienced any problems like this? Bought my car March 7th. 3300 miles on it now.
-Aleckor
Old 05-19-2007, 07:03 AM

What did the dealer say about the stalling?

And If you have'nt brought it in yet, I suggest you do.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:15 AM

Indeed. Time for some warranty work. Sounds like someone had some fun with this car (on the lot or not) before you got it...
Old 05-19-2007, 06:43 PM

^^What would make you say something like that? Take it to the dealer and get it checked out, I think i have heard of a few people with that stalling issue.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:20 AM

Time to update! Just got my car back from the dealer.

1) It wasn't the weather stripping that was the problem, it was the striker bar being factory defected - out of alignment with the door. It was twice as hard to open the driver's side door as it was to open the passenger side door, I just never noticed because well.. I never got into the passenger seat and I never let anyone else drive my car. See the dilema? Noone knew my driver's door was that hard to open, and I never knew my passenger door was that easy to open. FIXED.

2) Rather than try to replace my reverse-release button, my local dealer just ordered me another shifter all together, well the top anyway the knob. It hasn't been installed yet as it will probably take 3-4 weeks before they get the part in. NOT FIXED - Yet.

3) My local dealer recognized that my passenger window crank was in fact factory defective and so they removed it entirely and reinstalled it properly. No more rattling at all. FIXED.

4) They test drove my car and had no stalling issues. (It's too rare to test drive and have it happen. It's only happened about 4 times total so far, and I've driven 3500 miles) So they ran the electronic diagnostics and the machine said everything was okay, so they didn't do any further inspecting or testing or any work. NOT FIXED!

So all in all, my beautiful laser blue baby is running as good as new... I'm hoping it was just bad gas or something that stalled it those 4 times. Anyone else have this problem?

I got a free oil change out of the deal. I don't know if oil changes are covered under warranty (I didn't see how they could have been...) but mine was. So I didn't pay a dime, since all that other crap was warranty too.
-Aleckor
Old 05-24-2007, 03:56 AM

well congrats on getting those minor annoyances fixed.

i know how much of a pain it is to have your car stall on ya. i had an automatic ford contour 99' SE and there was a fuel line problem and it stalled every time i accelerated with the gas under 1/2 tank.

sorry about the thread jack...
Old 05-24-2007, 09:06 AM

Location: Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota (from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania)
I've only had to have my car to the dealership one time in the 11,000 miles it has travelled for maintenance other than an oil change. Parking break lever broke. Pull it up and it would stay up.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason its gonna take so long to get your shifter is the Coablt and the HHR have shifter issues that cause them to lock the key in the ignition. No recall yet that I know of but its caused a shifter shortage.

I used to work for a Chevy parts dept in case you were wondering how I knew that.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We changed 4 shifters in the automatics this week alone. the automatic shifters sux But, if you have manual tranny, then the shifters are plenty available.