General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

About trading in a hit car

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About trading in a hit car

my car was hit by a high under age drunk driver. as far as i know, hes getting a couple slaps on the wrist and a fine. thats it.

me on the other hand. i feel like im getting royally F'd.

say i wanted to trade in my cobalt. its almost a year old now, not even 10k miles. except its been hit by a drunk driver, but fixed by the dealer.

even if it looked perfect and brand new, i wouldnt be able to get full value on it would i?

so how come i get ****ed in this situation. i wasn't the drunk driver or anything. shouldn't i be compensated for the value of my car somehow?

I am not defintly set on trading it in. this is more for just some piece of mind.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:00 PM

it would be interesting to see if you could sue for the money you didn't recieve because of the hit.

i don't know...did you ask the dealer how much they would take for it?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

fixed is fixed according to the dealer mostly. it shouldn't effect the trade in value at all.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:14 PM

but what about if i try to sell it on my own and not trade it in? theres a nice sport red ss/sc at the dealer thats fixing mine. if they say its good as normal then maybe ill trade it in for that lol
Old 08-04-2007, 01:24 PM

his car will still show its been in an accident,you should sue the kids parents for the difference you will lose on the car.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by g5mike
his car will still show its been in an accident,you should sue the kids parents for the difference you will lose on the car.
yes it will show that its been in an accident but that does not necessarily mean that he will get less. when i traded in my 2004 monte carlo to get my cobalt it had been in an accident 2 months earlier with over 8grand in damage and i still got what the car would have been worth.

Originally Posted by roccobladr
but what about if i try to sell it on my own and not trade it in? theres a nice sport red ss/sc at the dealer thats fixing mine. if they say its good as normal then maybe ill trade it in for that lol
if you are selling to a private party enless they get a carfax or something they wont even know it was in an accident.

Last edited by braineater; 08-04-2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-04-2007, 01:36 PM

Well I know its different circumstances, but i was rearend and they did 11 grand in damage... i had the same concern... my insurance company told me to have it looked at by the dealer and appraised for how much it is worth after the repairs were made. So i did and i took the paperwork into the insurance company and they now have it on file. so when i sell the car the insurance company has to reimburse me for loss value/depreciated value of the car.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by sensesfail99
Well I know its different circumstances, but i was rearend and they did 11 grand in damage... i had the same concern... my insurance company told me to have it looked at by the dealer and appraised for how much it is worth after the repairs were made. So i did and i took the paperwork into the insurance company and they now have it on file. so when i sell the car the insurance company has to reimburse me for loss value/depreciated value of the car.
Never heard of that. Shyza, I'm going to have to do that with my insurance company as well, since my accident was 6grand and wasn't my fault.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

how much do u want for the car? how much did they offer you...auto / manual.. im kinda interested
Old 08-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheRevV2.0
=

Indubitably and without fear of recourse, ask him what term he refers to when speaking about persons from the Middle East (read: one of his deleted posts in the BFG thread) and how he uncontrollably, frantically, and impetuously destroys other people's property.

Also this racist psychotic unstable man is not nearly as knowledgeable as you ladies and gentlemen like to think(read: his car or old car made 650ft/lbs and 550hp @ 6800rpms) and is a disturbed racist that SHOULD BE BANNED undeniably, unquestionably, and undoubtedly for his actions.

The Rev
congrats on thread jacking assclown... not only that but you say violent racist like its a bad thing.... even if he is.. this is america he has the freedom of speech on his side.. so im about to take advantage of my freedom of speech and got tell you get **** your self and please dont come back to the website.....

ur an idiot u have no credibility please remove ur post an ur self from this thread..
Old 08-04-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh thats just Wasey! Ignore him, its best that way.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by braineater
fixed is fixed according to the dealer mostly. it shouldn't effect the trade in value at all.
I will have to call BS on that my old car was a subaru baja and i got in an accident and got it fixed at the same dealership i bought it from and the brought down the value of my car by $5000
Old 08-04-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by braineater
if you are selling to a private party enless they get a carfax or something they wont even know it was in an accident.
Might not even show up in a carfax...mine doesn't. According to carfax there is no frame damage or airbag deployment
Old 08-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Banned

my car was hit by a high under age drunk driver. as far as i know, hes getting a couple slaps on the wrist and a fine. thats it.

say i wanted to trade in my cobalt. its almost a year old now, not even 10k miles. except its been hit by a drunk driver, but fixed by the dealer.

even if it looked perfect and brand new, i wouldnt be able to get full value on it would i?

so how come i get ****ed in this situation. i wasn't the drunk driver or anything. shouldn't i be compensated for the value of my car somehow?

I am not defintly set on trading it in. this is more for just some piece of mind.
thats where you sue the drunk driver for depreciation of vehicle his fault for hitting you , try it
Old 08-04-2007, 10:16 PM

i am in the "EXACT SAME SITUATION" drunk driver and everything

except u cant drive my car lol

Last edited by CobaltVenomSS; 08-04-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-04-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
thats where you sue the drunk driver for depreciation of vehicle his fault for hitting you , try it
I would give that a shot. Consult your insurance and a lawyer and go for it. He hit BOTH your cars, I think you're entitled to some compensation.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:30 PM

I lost value on a vehicle that had "excessive paint work" because the dealer painted the front end like 3 times because of bad gel coat (fiberglass hood), basically factory default. I also traded in a car once after it was hit, without fixing it, Saturn on a civic (ex-wife), I got more for it damaged then undamaged. They dealer deducted less for the damage on their appraisal then the insurance gave me for the damage, so I came out ahead by not fixing it first.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:50 AM

One of the dealers I used to work for took in wrecked trades a few times. They would give the owner the trade in value of the car minus the repair cost and the owner would sign over the insurance check to the dealer. it is a win win for everyone, the owner gets a new car, the body shop doesn't have to live with the car and the dealer gets to rip everyone off. This would not work if the car is a total though. It's an option you should investigate because you will probably never be satisfied with a repaired car (trust me on this one, I have been a body repair tech for over 30 years).
Good luck on whatever you end up doing,
Dennis
Old 08-05-2007, 09:41 AM

You can definately sue for depreciated value... especially if a lot of damage was done. Talk to a lawyer about it.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:37 PM

thanks guys. im gonna call the guy at all state hes a family friend so hopefully he can help shed some light on this from their end.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:46 PM

got hit like that too just not drunk driver just sum random person really pissed me off wasn't my fault and now i got like 13,000$ damage or more..won't get written off and had less than 7,000 KM'S! its an 07..i already know its not gonna sell for more than like 18 grand now..ss/sc will b limping in the pocket book from now on
Old 08-05-2007, 03:03 PM

$13,000 in damage and they won't write it off?

I was under the assumption that anything over half of the depreciated value of the car would be considered totaled.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:17 PM

keep us updated on what happens. give us numbers of what they value your car at, damage, and whatnot.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:23 PM

check this out!

before i got my 07 SS/SC i had a 2005 mazda 3 with 12,000 miles, i bought it with no oil and did not realize it had a slow leak, the dealership said it was fine and there was nothing wrong with it, i drove the car for about two weeks and noticed that it started to burn oil, so i got the engine flushed and put some oil into it, the place that did the oil change noticed that the car had extensive undercarriage damage, i took it to mazda, they did the warranty work, BUT forgot to put oil, i drove it out and the car stalled on me and they break pedal froze becasue the car shut down i got hit from the side, now i have a broken right left axle, mazda said they would give me the KBB Fair value of the car, after doing some research i found out that GM owned chevy dealers wholesale the cars and will also give you KBB for your car, SO i got the car towed there and they gave me exactly what i wanted for the car, and i only had it for One month, i dont know if this helps,
Old 08-05-2007, 04:34 PM

well being that I appraise cars for a living I will throw my 2 cents in. it will depreciate the value. No matter how good the paint work is there will still be tape lines plus I also look at the door james and any bolts that show to have been tourqed. That is the easiest way to see if there has been bodywork done to a vehicle. Any paint work doesnt matter why either hail or wreck. I always depreciate the value.

Quick Reply: About trading in a hit car