General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

To all the Import Loving Cobalt Haters out there .....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all the Import Loving Cobalt Haters out there .....

OK Sorry to post a rant like this guys, but I am sick of the constant cobalt and domestic bashing that has been going on.

Ok I will admit I have driven imports all my life, my last car was an 87 toyota supra turbo which i rebuilt to about 500 hp. Now that was one of the most fun cars I have ever drove, but it was an unreliable EXPENSIVE piece of ****. Im sorry to say it was a great car, but the fact that it was so unreliable drove me crazi. So believe me I have been on both sides of the fence when referring to imports and domestics.

So lets just go right out and say it, the two cars that have ever challenged american sports cars which where accesible to the comman man was the toyota supra and nissan 300zx. These are the ONLY cars that could stand up to and destroy the : Mustang GT,Camaro,Transam,Charger etc.

Anything else you would see smoke american sports cars, would be imports with thousands upon thousands of dollars put into them. Which honestly need constant maintenance and money to keep them going.

Anyways sorry for the history lesson fact is it is soon to be 2006, and to be honest almost every import company out there is shitting the dog when it comes out to putting out cheap, PERFORMING, sports cars :

Toyota = **** I dont even know anymore I used to love toyota, put aside from the Scion I see nothing out there even remotely looking at for a sporty car.

Nissan = Sentra Spec V "ok not even close to the cobalt sssc level" 350z " too much money for the average person"

Mazda = Mazda Speed6 "very expensive" Mazda Rx8 "expensive + slow"

Honda = Honda civic si " ........ its still a civic"

Acura = Rsx Type S " too much like a civic, and too slow"

OK now lets compare the domestic line up :

Chevy = Cobalt SSSC

Ford = Mustang GT =- best Hp for your buck "leaving style,handeling,and fuel mielage out of it"

Dodge Neon Srt 4 = I test drove this vehicle, it definetly throws you back in your seat once the turbo kicks in, yet it doesnt handle worth crap and the worst part is HOW IT LOOKS. Atleast chevy decided to change the cavalier's appearance drastically when making the cobalt, I dont understand why dodge could not do the same. Who cares if a 4 door neon has 5000 hp it has no sex appeal and no sportyness due to the absolute lack of handeling in a front wheel drive car".

Saturn Redline = Same internals as cobalt, with ugly saturn styling lol

Now I could sum this up by saying, yes I know cobalts 2.2l ecotec engines have a tendencie to pop...... honestly its not a big suprise. I hope all of you are not in denial knowing that all the bottom end cobalts are absolute crap. Same as a lancer, grand am, neon, and any other bottom class car. I even took a normal Cobalt ss for a test drive it was nothing like the supercharged version, bad handeling, HORRIBLE shifting, yet it was quite peppy for a Normally asperated 4 cylinder.

Look please dont get me wrong my fellow cobalt owners, the 2006 cobalt SS/SC accelerates,looks, and handels in a whole league of its own. I cant stand when they compare it to the base model cobalt, you get what you pay for. There is almost 12 grand more hardware, and technology in the cobalt sssc compared to the base model there is no comparison.

As far as the rumor saying that the cobalt ss/sc engine blows up... Well I somehow doubt this because I have been driving mine hard for the last 10k and havent seen any problems yet. If they do have the tendancy to pop.... oops thats gms bad and it will be on gms dollar. Reasons like this is why lets face it we should not do anything to void gms warranty.

If you want intake take it to a gm dealership make sure they will warranty and inform them about the possible lean code issue. I am unsure if this lean cel code issue actually shows that your engine is running dangerously lean " which could be catestrophic at wide open throttle" or if its just an annoying light to be ignored. Yet I think this would be an excellent question to be answered by a gm professional.

Aside from that I know we all want crazy power out of these cars " I sure as hell do" But I honestly think we should give gm until spring to come out with their performance mods. I know they will have something up their sleeve to deal with mopar...........
Old 11-08-2005, 10:58 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting rant.

You certainly entitled to your opinion, but you may get flamed.

lol you basically just walked into the lion's den.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:03 PM

hmm i dunno but hey I read the post lol
Old 11-08-2005, 11:04 PM

I'm wich you man! Well said.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by MarcS
Interesting rant.

You certainly entitled to your opinion, but you may get flamed.

\
lol you basically just walked into the lion's den.
Ill help him fight that LION b/c i agree with him!!!!
i absolutely love this car inside and out...... besides an EVO id take this car over most other tuner cars..... with some modding ill love it even more
Old 11-08-2005, 11:08 PM

Well, coming from a former import lover, the guy has more experience with them than I do. I'll take his word for it. It's true, that import sports cars are way more expensive than domestic, and usually don't perform like they should for the money they cost. the best example of this....the S2000..saw an '06 with a $36k MSRP!!! Ouch!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:11 PM

i read like half of it and got bored

everyone has said that billions of times...blah
Old 11-08-2005, 11:12 PM

I agree with the base cobalt part. I test drove one before they had a SS S/C on the lot and was very dissapointed by the uncomfortable seats, and mostly sad acceleration. But i was comparing it to what i thought the ss would be so it should have been some what a dissapointment.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:12 PM

.....Don't know what to say on this one... Theres some imports out there that are as good, or better than the Cobalt, and theres some that arent worth ****..Its just a matter of opinion I guess....
Old 11-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

wow, so you are using an 87 toyota supra as an example for imports? wtf? you are entitled to your opinion, but you obviously have no class. you forgot to mention evo's, sti's, skylines, nsx's just to name a few. talk **** about imports on that list whenever your cobalt lasts as long as those cars did. cobalts are very nice cars but for you to talk down on imports when they've been around forever is just stupid. we'll see how long chevy decides to keep the cobalt. until then watch your bad language you use.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:13 PM

Sounded pretty good to me.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:15 PM

Yea the cobalt SS/SC is King. LOL. No but really all cars have ther problems and all people have there opinions. Can't we just all get along?

You left you a lot of good cars and some you realy do not have to put $$$$ into to make fast.

I too am at the biting nails to see what GM comes out with for the Cobalt.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Domestics Pwn

Only thing Ill add to your rant is... You forgot the 93-95 RX-7 and to a lesser extent the ealrier Turbo IIs... The RX-7 belongs right next to the supra and 300zx.

As far as the CEL with CAI... Just think for a minute.... All youve done is replace a pipe with a new pipe of similar diameter... Put a high flow filters on the end of it. The car runs pretty rich bone stock (shown on many charted dyno runs). From what ive seen you could probably run a 50 shot of nitrous on this engine without having to add more fuel then what is provided stock. Do you think that CAI is flowing so well that its causing the engine to run dangerously lean ? I highly doubt it... actually I guarantee it is not.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:18 PM

This is how Ive always interpreted cars, Those crazy smart asian people come out with the cars and the performance and etc, domestic cars perfect it.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:21 PM

He's right about one thing. There isn't a single import thats a 2 door and really, really fast.

Supra is dead, RX8 is slower then last gen, 300Zx isn't that fast. Oh sure there was the NSX (dead) but it cost as much as 2 Corvettes and was still slower. Skylines....well they were never sold new in North America---they didn't care enough to bing them here. Brand new anyhow.

I don't get Honda, Nissan and toa greater extent---Toyota. They have tons of cash and are very profitable but cannot make an affordable fast 2 door car.

The Coblat SS S/C is a hell of a deal and a great car to boot. Hopefully GM won't screw up the 5th gen Camaro.

Now the EVo and Sti are fast I'll admit--but 4 doors do nothing for me Neither does AWD
Old 11-08-2005, 11:26 PM

Amen Brother!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:34 PM

You guys are forgeting Eclipse GT
Old 11-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Banned

Ok for the one guy flaming me for using the 87 supra turbo as my example I think it is a very valid one. Skyline is a right hand drive only car so I was not going to use it in my comparison. Also as far as people bringing up the evo, nsx, and other very expensive cars maybe you didnt catch the theme to my post.

I live in canada and make about 65 thousand a year at the age of 21. For someone of my age and being single that is a lot of money yet for me to go out and buy a fully loaded cobalt ss/sc for 28 grand was a stretch. Let alone go out and buya 40 - 50 thousand dollar car.

Whatever world your living in where nsx's and evo's and 350z's are attainable please bring me to it cause I would love to make your kind of money. Yet I am sorry this was about what the average person could afford.

If you want to start a debate about the best sports car period..... hmmm lets do the 2006 ford mustang... against the ferrai enzo.... Damn well the enzo is sooo much better why would anyone ever want a mustang.... **** why dont I see these enzo's everywhere.... Oh yea thats right this is planet earth and on this planet we have a little something called money... too bad tho I really wanted a bentley lol.

P.S The eclipe GT although much more expensive is a suitable competitor for the cobalt..... as long as you dont throw handeling into the mix. As far as power and styling go the eclipse might even outshine the cobalt. Yet once again its all about $$$$, if people where willing to spend 40 grand on a cobalt im sure chevy coulda put a 2.4L supercharged ecotec in them " druels ".
Old 11-09-2005, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

you mentioned that the supra you had was very unreliable and expensive well of course it is. it's an 87 dude. as far as you didn't want to include the skyline because it's a RHD, what's keeping it from being on the list? the mailman's jeep is RHD and so are some civics and integras over here. didn't now you put a limit price on the cars you are comparing. those domestics you listed are fast on a straight line but if you want to compare all around performance, luxury, suspension, reliability, etc. then that is another story. i myself do not make more than you do but for you to come out here and just bash on imports is not cool.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 AM

im gonna have to agree with it all completely you cant compare new domestic cars with ricers based on price it rediculus. i really used to like celica but one they stopped making them and 2 the gts was 28,000 thats just insane to pay for a car that wont perform when compared to the cobalt sss/c

and ive heard rumors from my friend who owns a dealership they may come out with a 2.4 s/c (fingers crossed)
Old 11-09-2005, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by DC52NV
wow, so you are using an 87 toyota supra as an example for imports? wtf? you are entitled to your opinion, but you obviously have no class. you forgot to mention evo's, sti's, skylines, nsx's just to name a few. talk **** about imports on that list whenever your cobalt lasts as long as those cars did. cobalts are very nice cars but for you to talk down on imports when they've been around forever is just stupid. we'll see how long chevy decides to keep the cobalt. until then watch your bad language you use.
nsx.. im sure he owned an nsx haha 80,000 skylines..... wtf how many americans have skylines

dude were talking about a cobalt SS not a c6 z06 or a viper ahha

and another thing... the cobalt will last longer than the rsx i promise you that
rsx= nice but not for the price tag
Old 11-09-2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by DC52NV
you mentioned that the supra you had was very unreliable and expensive well of course it is. it's an 87 dude. as far as you didn't want to include the skyline because it's a RHD, what's keeping it from being on the list? the mailman's jeep is RHD and so are some civics and integras over here. didn't now you put a limit price on the cars you are comparing. those domestics you listed are fast on a straight line but if you want to compare all around performance, luxury, suspension, reliability, etc. then that is another story. i myself do not make more than you do but for you to come out here and just bash on imports is not cool.
i dont see him BASHING imports.... chill man
Old 11-09-2005, 12:45 AM
Domestics Pwn

Originally Posted by dimeo09
and another thing... the cobalt will last longer than the rsx i promise you that
RSX and Acura = PROVEN track record for reliability and durability.... You can dispute it all day.... But if youve own'd 1 or more (and not an 89 integra or 73 CVCC) you would know this.

Cobalt and Chevy = Cobalt is a new car.... with just about no track record'd... to go out and state that it will outlast ANYTHING is just silly.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dimeo09
nsx.. im sure he owned an nsx haha 80,000 skylines..... wtf how many americans have skylines

dude were talking about a cobalt SS not a c6 z06 or a viper ahha

rsx= nice but not for the price tag
well he didn't mention a price tag now did he? as for a cobalt lasting longer than an rsx is just hilarious.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:57 AM

The 300ZX, 350Z, Rx8, and cobalt SS/SC, all run about the same 1/4 times.

A Supra and RX7 were faster cars, but still nowhere near a '98 Fbody, or Corvette times.

And since when was 26 grand out of the reach of the common man? Rx8, 350Z, and Mustang GT can all be had for around 26-28 grand new.

Quick Reply: To all the Import Loving Cobalt Haters out there .....