General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad News

Mmmmk so I'm kind of pissed at the moment. Well pissed would be an understatement. I went to pick up my Cobalt SS/SC today and take it home. I make it about 1/2 mile away and begin to slow down to make a turn. I make the turn doing about 15-20mph in 2nd and let the clutch back out to start up the hill. As I let the clutch out the car starts lerching and the engine gets really loud and cuts off........I'm like wtf?! I try and restart it and nothing. Car sounds like it has no compression and if I do get it started with the gas pedal down it makes a really bad knocking noise. Like a bent valve or a valve staying open. They get it back to the dealer after being towed and bring up the errors on the computer. First engine error shows an RPM of 8200?! Is this car even able to rev up to 8200 under normal working conditions? The guy looks at me and my dad and says something to the extent that maybe I got on the car before the engine was broke in. (in other words trying to blame me) I'm not the average joe when it comes to buying a car. I know cars need atleast a 500 mile break in time fr the engine and drive train. I was taking this into extra consideration when buying the car cause it had a power adder. In other words...no playing around until I hit the 500 mile mark. The car had been sitting on another dealers lot for 160+ days not being used and 1/2 mile after I get the car it takes a **** on me and it's my fault?!

Questions....whats the rev limited on these cars? And can these cars even hit 8200 RPM if I wanted to?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by dhutch
Mmmmk so I'm kind of pissed at the moment. Well pissed would be an understatement. I went to pick up my Cobalt SS/SC today and take it home. I make it about 1/2 mile away and begin to slow down to make a turn. I make the turn doing about 15-20mph in 2nd and let the clutch back out to start up the hill. As I let the clutch out the car starts lerching and the engine gets really loud and cuts off........I'm like wtf?! I try and restart it and nothing. Car sounds like it has no compression and if I do get it started with the gas pedal down it makes a really bad knocking noise. Like a bent valve or a valve staying open. They get it back to the dealer after being towed and bring up the errors on the computer. First engine error shows an RPM of 8200?! Is this car even able to rev up to 8200 under normal working conditions? The guy looks at me and my dad and says something to the extent that maybe I got on the car before the engine was broke in. (in other words trying to blame me) I'm not the average joe when it comes to buying a car. I know cars need atleast a 500 mile break in time fr the engine and drive train. I was taking this into extra consideration when buying the car cause it had a power adder. In other words...no playing around until I hit the 500 mile mark. The car had been sitting on another dealers lot for 160+ days not being used and 1/2 mile after I get the car it takes a **** on me and it's my fault?!

Questions....whats the rev limited on these cars? And can these cars even hit 8200 RPM if I wanted to?
No the stock rev limiter is 6500 rpms.
Stage II kit brings it to 7000.
Don't let them BS you. There is now way you should of been able to go anywhere near 8k. Give them hell about that one.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rev limit is 6500....
its possible to get a bit above that if you powershift right at the redline...
but not to 8200....
strange problem. never heard that before.

Rev limit on stock is 6500. stage 2 I think its 7000. Nothing in the 8000's. I'm sure you didnt do anything wrong!

EDITED because I'm slow...
Old 05-17-2007, 03:21 PM

No you can not reach 8200 or even close with the current stage 2 kits out they just increase it to 7000RPM's
Old 05-17-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed you mentioned a "power adder" and not "Stage 2" or anything like that. What kind of power adder was it? It could of taken off the rev limiter.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
unless you misshifted it, and zinged it. you can not push past the stock revlimit
Old 05-17-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by fr33k
I noticed you mentioned a "power adder" and not "Stage 2" or anything like that. What kind of power adder was it? It could of taken off the rev limiter.
by power adder, he means Supercharger.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im guessing by power adder he means supercharger
Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM

Incorrectly downshifting will put you at 8200rpm so its possible. They can tell you the RPM that the engine was at when the trouble code set, they can also tell the speed. If the speed is greater than what you are saying, or you selected first gear instead of second, they will more than likely blame you.

I'm not blaming you, but this is what it sounds like is going to happen. If it does, make sure they provide you with written documentation of the rpm and speed recorded.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by fr33k

Power adder meaning the stock supercharger....nothing is done to this car at all. He cant pull the misshift bullshit on me cause the computer records that to and he stood there and said "well he didnt miss any shifts"

Originally Posted by Witt
Incorrectly downshifting will put you at 8200rpm so its possible. They can tell you the RPM that the engine was at when the trouble code set, they can also tell the speed. If the speed is greater than what you are saying, or you selected first gear instead of second, they will more than likely blame you.

I'm not blaming you, but this is what it sounds like is going to happen. If it does, make sure they provide you with written documentation of the rpm and speed recorded.
I just added the answer to your question............speed, gear, etc. all good...........

Last edited by dhutch; 05-17-2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-17-2007, 03:28 PM

good point. I completely forgot about downshifting to the incorrect gear.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Witt

You know, thats not true. Inless other SS/SCs are differant then mine. One time I mishifted to one more gear lower then I wanted too. I was going pretty quick and went to second instead of third showing off like a moron. Ended up hitting the rev limiter instantly and the car shut down. Started right back up and no problems with my balt yet.

Power adder meaning the stock supercharger....nothing is done to this car at all. He cant pull the misshift bullshit on me cause the computer records that to and he stood there and said "well he didnt miss any shifts"

I just added the answer to your question............speed, gear, etc. all good...........
^ All good news, they dont have **** on you. Some dealer know nothing, my dealer did not know about stage II or the reflash. Its like a big joke to them when I tell them stuff, they are clueless at times.

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 05-17-2007 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-17-2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
You know, thats not true.
Don't understand what part you don't think is true.

If you miss a 5-4 downshift and hit second instead, the transaxle will force the engine past the fuel cut rev limit. It will not sustain the rpm as fuel is not being supplied, but it will push that high. You may not see it on a tachometer due to lag on the gauge, but the PCM and any data logger will detect it.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:38 PM

unless you realise your mistake very quickly and stomp the clutch before it gets to high
Old 05-17-2007, 03:42 PM

LoL I understand what yal are talking about.....but the PCM would record a misshift also aong with that 8200 rpm nonsense. Being that I didnt misshift, that couldnt have caused the 8200rpm.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:44 PM

basically, unless they could somehow prove you were at a certain speed, in the wrong gear, causing that rpm.....i dont think they could prove its your fault in any way.
cuz i think thats the only way to get these cars to that RPM through driver input.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:47 PM

You know, thats not true. Inless other SS/SCs are differant then mine. One time I mishifted to one more gear lower then I wanted too. I was going pretty quick and went to second instead of third showing off like a moron. Ended up hitting the rev limiter instantly and the car shut down. Started right back up and no problems with my balt yet.

^ All good news, they dont have **** on you. Some dealer know nothing, my dealer did not know about stage II or the reflash. Its like a big joke to them when I tell them stuff, they are clueless at times.

^ You know, I did put a big INLESS up there you know. I have only done it once and when I misshifted trying to beat a car on the highway my car just shut off soon as the rpms spiked. Would not let it happen. I guess it is possible but mine would not let me do it. *shrug* Don't know what else to say or why mine did that. Guess I'm lucky or I would be at the crappy dealers too.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:49 PM

Give me a breakdown on what speeds are safe in what gears...ie... 1st:0-25mph? etc... a general estimate please...
Old 05-17-2007, 03:55 PM

I think you can safely get to 26 MPH in first someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 07LaserBlueSS
I think you can safely get to 26 MPH in first someone correct me if I am wrong.
All gears lol not just first Anways....

Just gt back from the dealer. Talked to the head of the dealer, and the guy who does all the computer work on the cars. They took the cover off the top of the engine and we have a bent valve and broken keeper thus far. They're going to take the head off tomorrow and see if any damage was dne to the cylinder or piston. I'm hoping it was just a bent valve and broken keep and they'll just do a complete valve job and replace all keepers. The techs tone is still sounding like they want to blame me, but they can't proove anything even if it was my fault. They have a reading at 8200 rpms at a normal speed for 2nd gear, so there ya have it. I believe it is up to the dealer to prove it was driver abuse that broke the part to notarranty it but 8200 rpm is the reason it broke and not my driving. They can try and blame me all they want but they dont have the facts to backup their false idea.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 PM

All gears lol not just first Anways....

Just gt back from the dealer. Talked to the head of the dealer, and the guy who does all the computer work on the cars. They took the cover off the top of the engine and we have a bent valve and broken keeper thus far. They're going to take the head off tomorrow and see if any damage was dne to the cylinder or piston. I'm hoping it was just a bent valve and broken keep and they'll just do a complete valve job and replace all keepers. The techs tone is still sounding like they want to blame me, but they can't proove anything even if it was my fault. They have a reading at 8200 rpms at a normal speed for 2nd gear, so there ya have it. I believe it is up to the dealer to prove it was driver abuse that broke the part to notarranty it but 8200 rpm is the reason it broke and not my driving. They can try and blame me all they want but they dont have the facts to backup their false idea.
That is awesome news. Good for you bro. Glad its all working out. I agree, I would make those bastards prove beyong a reasonable doubt. Good luck, hope it gets built back up correcly.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:32 PM

That is awesome news. Good for you bro. Glad its all working out. I agree, I would make those bastards prove beyong a reasonable doubt. Good luck, hope it gets built back up correcly.

I got lucky on the choice of the mechanic, he's a good friend of my dad's and I dont think he'd do us wrong. Don't want to **** of the guy that fills your perscritions lol.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 PM

dont you guys have those little gates that come up THAT WONT let you shift into a lower gear?

Quick Reply: Bad News