General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

blow off valve on supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vandy0419
Not that it isn't a bad thing for people with close to stock pulleys, right?
if you were to vent it with out a tuninf solution, you'd be hosed for hesitation during shifts.

You woul dhave a lot of metered air leave, meaning that the car expects alot more air than it has avainable. The saing grace would be that during shifts is uses the MAP and VE tables, but even then the MAP is dropping, whihc the car does not expect.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by vandy0419
And evidence that assumed information isn't sticky worthy. I've never done it either. Someone, like I said, has done it (removed it afterwards) and so it needs to be info based on facts or else everyone will be mislead.
sounds good enough.. if the info would be stickied, it could be changed around and that particular part be removed.. but ill remove it anyway.. i could care less about sound anyway.. but i get what you are saying

Originally Posted by noremorse
umm.. for the same reason as a turbo we need somesort of bypass/blowoff.

Did you knwo that our bloweres have about 80% less parastic effect while the bypass is open?

it is NOT POINTLESS. By reducing the pressure on the blades, it takes MUCH less effort to spin.

This is the main reason to have BOV too, to reduce compressor surge.

Ours just rerouts it, while a BOV vents it.
man if u read what i wrote, OUR BYPASS VALVE AND A TURBOS BLOW OFF VALVE DO NOTHING SIMILAR AT ALL!!!!!!!!!! OUR BYPASS VALVE AND A TURBOS WASTEGATE DO THE SIMILAR JOB!!!!! why do u think when people install a smaller pulley (such as a 3.0") it bleeds boost after a certain RPM? bc our bypass valve opens and the air being sucked in is routed around the supercharger into the intake manifold... and when our throttle plate closes.. the air doesnt slam into any compressor whatsoever. the throttle body is before our compressor, not after like on turbos

theres less parasitic drag when the bypass is open bc its not making boost anymore bc the air is being routed around the supercharger into the intake manifold
Old 09-26-2006, 11:35 AM

Can I put a flux capacitor on my supercharger to up the boost too?
Sorry, I just had to do it.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
Can I put a flux capacitor on my supercharger to up the boost too?
Sorry, I just had to do it.
oooo....oooo....I want one too! lmao!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by PuSha050
sounds good enough.. if the info would be stickied, it could be changed around and that particular part be removed.. but ill remove it anyway.. i could care less about sound anyway.. but i get what you are saying

man if u read what i wrote, OUR BYPASS VALVE AND A TURBOS BLOW OFF VALVE DO NOTHING SIMILAR AT ALL!!!!!!!!!! OUR BYPASS VALVE AND A TURBOS WASTEGATE DO THE SIMILAR JOB!!!!! why do u think when people install a smaller pulley (such as a 3.0") it bleeds boost after a certain RPM? bc our bypass valve opens and the air being sucked in is routed around the supercharger into the intake manifold... and when our throttle plate closes.. the air doesnt slam into any compressor whatsoever. the throttle body is before our compressor, not after like on turbos

umm.. wastegate limits boost.... ours does not (at least taht is NOT what it is designed to do. Sure it does in stock trim, but that's not it's main purpose)

It is desonged to make the sysem more effeciant at idle/cruising/shifting... just like a BOV

Do some research
Old 09-26-2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by NoRemorse
umm.. wastegate limits boost.... ours does not (at least taht is NOT what it is designed to do. Sure it does in stock trim, but that's not it's main purpose)

It is desonged to make the sysem more effeciant at idle/cruising/shifting... just like a BOV

Do some research
i understand that.. our bypass valve has multiple purposes. but those qualities arent what people think of when they think of our bypass valve and a BOV. people want a BOV on these cars for the sound or bc we have forced induction. for that a BOV is not needed for our cars. --i was trying annalogies (sp?)

wouldnt our bypass valve make us more efficient while cruising and such bc at like part throttle it doesnt make full boost and bypasses air around the supercharger?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:46 AM

Wow, these threads are embarassing.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:49 AM

and ive read corky bells turbo book (maximum boost) and have worked (and owned) on turboed cars before. a BOV only opens when there is the pressure difference like when you let off the throttle. at low PSI levels a BOV isnt always "needed". the only reason ive read is that it is to prevent the air to slam back into the turbo. in theory one would want to keep all that compressed air in the intake, right? but of course that cant be done when the throttle plate is closed
Old 09-26-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BooSSted
Wow, these threads are embarassing.
thats what im tryin to get at with a sticky of some sort.. stop the stupid questions with a end all sticky, so we can concentrate on real topics
Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 AM

i understand that.. our bypass valve has multiple purposes. but those qualities arent what people think of when they think of our bypass valve and a BOV. people want a BOV on these cars for the sound or bc we have forced induction. for that a BOV is not needed for our cars. --i was trying annalogies (sp?)

wouldnt our bypass valve make us more efficient while cruising and such bc at like part throttle it doesnt make full boost and bypasses air around the supercharger?
I know poeple want them for the sound, and that is rediculous, but the fact is that it IS possible, and if we didn;t have a by-pass it COULD be bennificial.

Our engine acts like a 2.0l NA during cruising because it's not that hard to spin the SC when it isn't pushing against air. That's why we get somewhat decent MPG.

But in all reality, out bypass valve IS a BOV, ut it rerouts it back to the intake. Stock BOV's on turbo cars do this too.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what's the final verdict, is a BOV just for show (or er, sound ), or is it actually needed?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver83
So what's the final verdict, is a BOV just for show (or er, sound ), or is it actually needed?
are you kidding, did you just skip EVERYTHING and post?

BOV is just for sound, as our bypass valve does the same thing, only better.

On top of that it would be HELL to rig one up as BOV's are triggered by pressure differeances caused by closing the throttle plate, pressure differances that are hard to create in an SC application becasue none of e boost is before the throttle plate.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 AM

not needed.. on our cars a conventional BOV i feel would have zero benefits even if we didnt have a bypass valve.. they work differently in the intake systems

stock BOV's reroute back into the intake only at the BEGINNING off the intake before the turbo, not after the compressor (like ours).. the reason that is done is on a turbo car, the air being released has already been counted by the MAF sensor. if you release it into the atmosphere, the engine is getting less air than it accounted for, and a rich condition ensues. so you route the air back into the intake before the turbo to that air stays in the system (these are sometimes called bypass valves)

heres a little info i found on BOV's

"What it does: The only job a blow-off valve is supposed to perform is to relieve excess turbo pressure that results from shutting the throttle rapidly under boost conditions. This then answers one of the questions we get asked a lot – yes you need a turbo to fit a blow-off valve! Otherwise you will have a rather expensive paper-weight. It is necessary to release this pressure because it will try to find a way out of the system, and the only way is back out through the turbo. This produces a fluttering noise as the air passes backwards through the turbo, which is often unwanted. There is also a school of thought that a blow-off valve can improve turbocharger longevity or, in extreme cases, prevent damage to the turbo."
Old 09-26-2006, 11:59 AM

are you kidding, did you just skip EVERYTHING and post?

BOV is just for sound, as our bypass valve does the same thing, only better.

On top of that it would be HELL to rig one up as BOV's are triggered by pressure differeances caused by closing the throttle plate, pressure differances that are hard to create in an SC application becasue none of e boost is before the throttle plate.
YES this is why me and noremorse were arguing.. you cound technically say our bypass valve and a blow off valve do the same thing.. but to do that you would have to mount a BOV after the throttle plate, and then it would have to route into the intake manifold. (basically impossible for you to do with a bov)

a normal BOV is before the throttlebody, and routes the air either into the atmosphere or back into the intake before the turbocharger
Old 09-26-2006, 12:03 PM

stock BOV's reroute back into the intake only at the BEGINNING off the intake before the turbo, not after the compressor (like ours)..

exactly, ours routes after SC to before SC.... you are thinking it does the oposite aren't you???

'BOV' takes air after the compressor and reoutes it to before the compressor... our by-pass does the same thing, jsut on the other side of the throttle plate.

The only differance is the pressure in a BOV is created by the throttle plate, while in our application it is the head itself.

Same thing really, realivev excees pressure to BEFORE the compressor to make the system more effeciant
Old 09-26-2006, 12:04 PM

no no i understand..i was stating what would need to be done in order for it to operate like our bypass valve does
Old 09-26-2006, 12:04 PM

Ok, you guys are still wrong about the Bypass Valve.

A BOV releases air AFTER it has been compressed.
A BPV releases air BEFORE it gets compressed.

A BOV works on are pressure to open the valve.
A BPV works with a throttle plate that is opened and closed by the ECU.

They both have completely different functions, so saying that our BPV acts as a BOV is wrong. They have no similarities what so ever. Putting a BOV on a Roots sytle blower will do nothing because you can't create enough pressure in your intake tube to ever be able to open it.

If someone ever tells you otherwise...............slap them and call them a ***.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

wow, all this fighting over nothing... the whole thread could have been summed up like this...

If you want a BOV, get a turbocharger... end of story
Old 09-26-2006, 12:06 PM

Ok, you guys are still wrong about the Bypass Valve.

A BPV releases air BEFORE it gets compressed.

A BPV works with a throttle plate that is opened and closed by the ECU.

They both have completely different functions, so saying that our BPV acts as a BOV is wrong. They have no similarities what so ever. Putting a BOV on a Roots sytle blower will do nothing because you can't create enough pressure in your intake tube to ever be able to open it.

If someone ever tells you otherwise...............slap them and call them a ***.

Correct
A BPV releases air BEFORE it gets compressed. Wrong. The air flow is the other way

correct
A BPV works with a throttle plate that is opened and closed by the ECU. 1/2 correct, the ECU jsut opens a valve allowing pressure to open the valve... jsut like a BOV minus the solenoid valve
Old 09-26-2006, 12:10 PM

Here, watch this people. This will show you EXACTLY what the BPV does.

http://www.usol.com/~cable/Video/Ecotec2.mpg
Old 09-26-2006, 12:11 PM

Correct
A BPV releases air BEFORE it gets compressed. Wrong. The air flow is the other way

no hes right.on a roots type.. a BPV routes air before its compressed around the supercharger and into the intake manifold.. on a turbo car a BOV is sometimes called a BPV bc it routes the air after its been compressed back into the intake before the turbo

correct
A BPV works with a throttle plate that is opened and closed by the ECU. 1/2 correct, the ECU jsut opens a valve allowing pressure to open the valve... jsut like a BOV minus the solenoid valve

well actually the BPV does have its own plate that opens and closes when it is told to by the ECU. the BOV has absolutely zero to do with the ECU, bc it only opens when there is a pressure difference such as a release of the throttle
please see quote. thank you
Old 09-26-2006, 12:13 PM

Correct

correct
Actually your still wrong. The valve is BEFORE the supercharger, It releases the air before it even gets to the blower and allows it to "BYPASS" the blower and go straight to the intake manifold.

The Bypass valve IS a throttle plate that is opened by the ECU. It is nothing more than a throttle plate.

watch the video I just posted.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:14 PM

So......... do we need a BOV? LOL, kidding, joking!!! This has been discussed alot, and the same conclusion was always reached. The ss s/c doesn't need a BOV. Though ya gotta love the sound of a BOV
Old 09-26-2006, 12:14 PM

Actually your still wrong. The valve is BEFORE the supercharger, It releases the air before it even gets to the blower and allows it to "BYPASS" the blower and go straight to the intake manifold.

The Bypass valve IS a throttle plate that is opened by the ECU. It is nothing more than a throttle plate.

watch the video I just posted.
thats wat i said
Old 09-26-2006, 12:17 PM

Yeah, we were typing at the same time, haha

Quick Reply: blow off valve on supercharged?