General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

blow off valve on supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PuSha050
please see quote. thank you
It does have it's own plate, but it's not the throttle plate!! They do the same thing! the bith bypass the compressor to amke it more effecient

And to say that the air goes arround the SC is just insane!! It pushed 1l of air a revolution and it's spinning 2-3 times faster than the engine. The engine only intakes on 2 of the cylenders per rev. So saying that the air is going around the SC is saying that the engine requires MORE than the SC can delever which is complety back asswards! The SC amkes TOO MUCH flow, and it recirculates.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BooSSted
Actually your still wrong. The valve is BEFORE the supercharger, It releases the air before it even gets to the blower and allows it to "BYPASS" the blower and go straight to the intake manifold.

The Bypass valve IS a throttle plate that is opened by the ECU. It is nothing more than a throttle plate.

watch the video I just posted.
lol I have seen the video months ago... read my post....
Old 09-26-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by NoRemorse
It does have it's own plate, but it's not the throttle plate!! They do the same thing! the bith bypass the compressor to amke it more effecient

And to say that the air goes arround the SC is just insane!! It pushed 1l of air a revolution and it's spinning 2-3 times faster than the engine. The engine only intakes on 2 of the cylenders per rev. So saying that the air is going around the SC is saying that the engine requires MORE than the SC can delever which is complety back asswards! The SC amkes TOO MUCH flow, and it recirculates.
YOUR WRONG..................

http://www.usol.com/~cable/Video/Ecotec2.mpg

^^^^^Watch that before you post again. I don't know how else to explain it to you.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:20 PM

this is pointless.. i dont care if they do the same thing. different thing. if the damn BOV gave out free BJ's (althought that would be something else hahahaha) the point is.. NO BOV ON OUR CARS!!! thank you and have a nice day
Old 09-26-2006, 12:21 PM

The air goes around the blower when your NOT making boost. If the plate wasn't there you would be making boost all the time and your fuel economy would go to ****. The second you go WOT, that bypass valve slams shut and the blower just rams everything into the manifold.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BooSSted
YOUR WRONG..................

http://www.usol.com/~cable/Video/Ecotec2.mpg

^^^^^Watch that before you post again. I don't know how else to explain it to you.
Have you sen the video???

The way you describe it means that the SC is a RESTRICTION?!?! that is the only way it would go around it.

Trust me, ths SC is flowing WAY more than that little 1" bypass can do.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:24 PM

No, I'm not saying it's a restriction. When the car doesn't want to make boost or it is making too much boost, the plate opens so not all the air going to the manifold is compressed.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:26 PM

exactly, ours routes after SC to before SC.... you are thinking it does the oposite aren't you???

'BOV' takes air after the compressor and reoutes it to before the compressor... our by-pass does the same thing, jsut on the other side of the throttle plate.

The only differance is the pressure in a BOV is created by the throttle plate, while in our application it is the head itself.

Same thing really, realivev excees pressure to BEFORE the compressor to make the system more effeciant
Umm, no, lol. Compressed air in our blowers is never rerouted, no idea where you figured that. Our blower will never create excess pressure, it simply builds pressure to a preset number and reroutes the rest of the incoming air through a BYPASS valve around the blower and into the intake manifold.

Edit: I see this has been discussed in the last few threads, go me for not reading the whole thread before posting.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
Umm, no, lol. Compressed air in our blowers is never rerouted, no idea where you figured that. Our blower will never create excess pressure, it simply builds pressure to a preset number and reroutes the rest of the incoming air through a BYPASS valve around the blower and into the intake manifold.

Edit: I see this has been discussed in the last few threads, go me for not reading the whole thread before posting.
hehe its ok.. its a lotta posts
Old 09-26-2006, 12:32 PM

You are talking about the byapss as a boost limit whihc is complelty besides the point here.

The bypass as a boost limiter is NOT what it is truly intended for. Bypass valves are used to create effeceincy at cruising and idle conditions
Old 09-26-2006, 12:33 PM

doesnt it create efficiency by .. limiting boost? theres nothing else about it

its like if ur at 5000 rpms... at full throttle the bypass if closed .. at part throttle the bypass is open and its limiting boost .. thereby helping the car be more fuel efficient and what not
Old 09-26-2006, 12:35 PM

You are talking about the byapss as a boost limit whihc is complelty besides the point here.

The bypass as a boost limiter is NOT what it is truly intended for. Bypass valves are used to create effeceincy at cruising and idle conditions
And how do you create efficiency at cruising and idle conditions if you don't limit/regualate the boost? The BPV has a few functions but they all work by it doing one thing. BYPASSING THE SUPERCHARGER.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by PuSha050
doesnt it create efficiency by .. limiting boost? theres nothing else about it
no... and yes.

LOL!.. but only in the same sense as a BOV.

During cruiseing, ther is no 'limit' it is just open. a limit implies taht 'at x psi it will open

This is comeplty pointless though.. it works, BOV is pointless, and everyones car is happy.

I am VERY VERY sure of how the setem works, and others may have there opinions. It's just simple fluid dynamics, but it dosn't mater, I need to get back to work, or GM will fire me
Old 09-26-2006, 12:37 PM

I understand that, thats why I said we never make excess pressure, we have a positive displacement blower and build boost linerally (sp?) as in under perfect conditions, if you have a pulley that makes 12psi at redline, it should also make that WOT at 1500rpm, however it doesn't work that way obviously because of things like leaking around the rotors and whatnot.

What I was trying to correct was the statement that said the bypass valve in our cars reroutes compressed air from after the blower to before it. That simply is not true. Again, compressed air is never rerouted in any way shape or form in our intake. Its a bypass vavle that redirects incoming air from ever entering the supercharger.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:40 PM

Yeah, it is possible, but not worth it on the cobalt. BOV, or bypass valves, or diverter valves-they all essentially do the same thing. They are primarily used on dynamic compressors because of the speed of the units being used to compress air. Dynamic compressors are the compressor wheels of turbochargers and centrifugal superchargers. Roots type superchargers, on the other hand, are positive displacement compressors. Essentially, all a positivie displacement compressor is is a pump. The rise in pressure comes from the fact that the correctly sized blower will pump more air into the engine than the engine is capable of sucking in itself, creating a positive atmospheric pressure rating, or boost. The blower of this type is always creating relatively the same amount of air, boost is mostly controlled by throttle position rather than compressor speed. Thats why when you hit the gas from idle, you notice the boost gauge shoot to 5psi immediatly, then rise as the rpm's rise. A larger blower will make more boost off idle. The reason that bovs are used (and I know everyone here knows this, just being redundant I guess) is that when the throttle blade is closed at wide open throttle, redline, the compressor is spinning at 100,000+ rpms-still creating pressure (this is especially true for turbochargers because of their freewheeling nature). The blades are very fragile, and the pressure can bend and damage the blades. The blow off valve it put there to vent the pressure atmoshperically, so as to not crash into the blades. Another benefit of the bov is that because it prevents boost from hitting the spinning wheel, it decreases the amount that the wheel slows down between shifts, so momentum is kept up and the turbo can spool up faster.

I know everyone here probably already knows this, but I just felt like stating it here so that those who weren't sure on the operation could know real info, not what their buddy told them.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:41 PM

I understand that, thats why I said we never make excess pressure, we have a positive displacement blower and build boost linerally (sp?) as in under perfect conditions, if you have a pulley that makes 12psi at redline, it should also make that WOT at 1500rpm, however it doesn't work that way obviously because of things like leaking around the rotors and whatnot.

What I was trying to correct was the statement that said the bypass valve in our cars reroutes compressed air from after the blower to before it. That simply is not true. Again, compressed air is never rerouted in any way shape or form in our intake. Its a bypass vavle that redirects incoming air from ever entering the supercharger.
And if air does not reach the SC then what happens??

I'[ll tell you because I have had it off enough to know... it becomes HORRIBLY inefeciant. it NEEDS air to spin. it will still push x amount of air if the bypass is open or closed.

if the engine dosnts need that air, the air just 'recirculates' back to the inlet so the SC is pushing the same air over and over again.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:48 PM

if the engine dosnts need that air, the air just 'recirculates' back to the inlet so the SC is pushing the same air over and over again.
No, that isn't what happens. I can't say it enough. Compressed air is NEVER rerouted.

I see the guy above posted an excellent video, watch it and you'll see exactly how the bypass valve works.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:25 PM

No, that isn't what happens. I can't say it enough. Compressed air is NEVER rerouted.

I see the guy above posted an excellent video, watch it and you'll see exactly how the bypass valve works.
Apearently a 3d animator knows something about fluid dynamics???

I have seen the video. Where do you think the air the blower makes goes if the engine is just pulling it from the 'bypass'? where is the blower getting air as aI assure you, it NEEDS air to spin.

Tell you what, next time I take my blower out, I iwll take a video. If you cover the inlet THE BLOWER STOPS!! I even had it hooked up to an industrial drill.. AND IT STALLED THE DRILL BLOWING A FUSE!

I am telling you, the air has to come/go somewhere, and it recirculates it. I never said it was pressurized, in order to make pressure, you need a restriction, whioch there is not because the bypass allws it to flow

This is really a pointless argument though, because it really has nothing to do with performance, or even drivability. We can argue why Xenon filled bulbs are rbighter and require more energy blah blah blah, but it really dosnt matter because they work.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:51 PM

woudl it help if i said i just wanted the pshhht sound lol
Old 09-26-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by picmahweji
woudl it help if i said i just wanted the pshhht sound lol
keep a kazzoo in your pocket, that's all the advice I will give. lol
Old 09-26-2006, 04:04 PM

Apearently a 3d animator knows something about fluid dynamics???

I have seen the video. Where do you think the air the blower makes goes if the engine is just pulling it from the 'bypass'? where is the blower getting air as aI assure you, it NEEDS air to spin.

Tell you what, next time I take my blower out, I iwll take a video. If you cover the inlet THE BLOWER STOPS!! I even had it hooked up to an industrial drill.. AND IT STALLED THE DRILL BLOWING A FUSE!

I am telling you, the air has to come/go somewhere, and it recirculates it. I never said it was pressurized, in order to make pressure, you need a restriction, whioch there is not because the bypass allws it to flow

This is really a pointless argument though, because it really has nothing to do with performance, or even drivability. We can argue why Xenon filled bulbs are rbighter and require more energy blah blah blah, but it really dosnt matter because they work.
I never said the inlet is covered, its simply a bypass that allows air to bypass the blower. Air is still permitted to pass to the blower.

The next time you take your blower off, I don't want a video of you covering the intake of the blower. What I would like to see is where you find where the bypass recirculates air from the bottom of the blower back to the intake of it.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:23 PM

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te.../photo_16.html

That link will show ya how the bypass valve works. Note that it never recirculates the compressed air.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:33 PM

I never said the inlet is covered, its simply a bypass that allows air to bypass the blower. Air is still permitted to pass to the blower.

The next time you take your blower off, I don't want a video of you covering the intake of the blower. What I would like to see is where you find where the bypass recirculates air from the bottom of the blower back to the intake of it.
ok, different question, do you think that the blower is pushing more than what is 'going by the blower'?

and I am not sure what the point of that link was, as all it says is that it creates effeciency, which is a big 'no ****'
Old 09-26-2006, 04:33 PM

bov noise

if you have a buddy rev your car up for you while you stand back by ur exhaust you can actually here it gotta listen closely.just notice it the other day.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by badSS
if you have a buddy rev your car up for you while you stand back by ur exhaust you can actually here it gotta listen closely.just notice it the other day.
lol, you can also hear it slam closed.

I can't hear ANYTHING when I rev my car.... I go instantly deaf

Quick Reply: blow off valve on supercharged?