General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

blow off valve on supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRemorse
ok, different question, do you think that the blower is pushing more than what is 'going by the blower'?

and I am not sure what the point of that link was, as all it says is that it creates effeciency, which is a big 'no ****'
I have no idea what that question means.

The point of the link was to show that the bypass valve allows air to enter the engine without ever entering the blower, which you said was wrong in post 51. It indeed allows air to enter the manifold without ever entering the blower.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
I have no idea what that question means.

The point of the link was to show that the bypass valve allows air to enter the engine without ever entering the blower, which you said was wrong in post 51. It indeed allows air to enter the manifold without ever entering the blower.
I know where it is!! but it flows the EXTRA air that the SC flows back to the inlet side. It works in complete oposite than what you're stating. But it dosn't really matter, so forget it. We both agree on what it does, and the methods of which are REALLY irrelevent. It truy does not matter.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:18 PM

I know where it is!! but it flows the EXTRA air that the SC flows back to the inlet side. It works in complete oposite than what you're stating. But it dosn't really matter, so forget it. We both agree on what it does, and the methods of which are REALLY irrelevent. It truy does not matter.
Only on a twin screw does it flow back, we have a roots blower, I honestly think thats where your confusion is.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:22 PM

Only on a twin screw does it flow back, we have a roots blower, I honestly think thats where your confusion is.
why would that make a differance?? it dosn't/shouldn't

At this point I think I know something, you think you know soemthing, let's agree to disagree because this is so trivial it is rediculous
Old 09-26-2006, 05:24 PM

why would that make a differance??
Roots blowers don't have an internal compression ratio, twin screws do. Roots blowers simply move air, the compression is done in the intake manifold itself.

Edit: Kinda hard to agree with someone who trying to tell me I have a compressor sitting on top of my engine and not a blower. Especially when you told everyone here that disagreed with ya to do some research.

Last edited by Witt; 09-26-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:26 PM

Roots blowers don't have an internal compression ratio, twin screws do. Roots blowers simply move air, the compression is done in the intake manifold itself.
I am well aware of the differance, but that makes NO differance in this situation at all! they move the same amount of air, just one compresses as it does it, which recuses the energy required to do it.

agree to dissagree? did you not read that, I don't even care what you think really, we both have our thoughts on the issue, and they are difrent. let's just drop it, it's stupid
Old 09-26-2006, 05:30 PM

I am well aware of the differance, but that makes NO differance in this situation at all! they move the same amount of air, just one compresses as it does it, which recuses the energy required to do it.
That is why a bypass valve on a twin screw is required because the twin screw is continually compressing air even when not sending boost to the engine.

On a roots its required to stabilize vacuum and reduce supercharger cavitation.

Last edited by Witt; 09-26-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:40 PM

That is why a bypass valve on a twin screw is required because the twin screw is continually compressing air even when not sending boost to the engine.

On a roots its required to stabilize vacuum and reduce supercharger cavitation.
and what happens to the compressed air when it leaves the twin screw and enters an uncompressed manifold, it uncompresses and is no differnt that a roots...

can't we just drop this though, you say tomato... and I say tomato.... damn it that dosn't work as well when you type it
Old 09-26-2006, 10:05 PM

wow this thread is crazy people.. I VOTE.. YOU LEAVE IT HOW IT IS, and BUY AN INTAKE.. AND ENJOY THE WHINING SOUND OF A SUPERCHARGER.. WHICH IS EQUALLY AS SEXY AS A TURBO (CAUSE WE PRODUCE BOOST THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE POWER BAND) and it whines like the bitch she is..
Old 09-26-2006, 10:16 PM

personally if GM wanted to put a BOV on the car they would have. Why mess with a system they designed and works? jus askin for more probs by messin around with that stuff, besides I find the whine to be alot better then some kid with a turbo actin ricetastic at a light blowin it off ...
Old 09-27-2006, 01:08 AM

a bov wont work on our superchargers, they only help with turbos and centri. chargers as someone said. once the throttle plate slams shut the turbos and centrif's are still making boost as said before and there has to be a way to release it. but with our cars after the throttle plate shuts our superchargers are not making boost anymore, run it up to full boost in let say 2nd then take your foot off the gas and look at the boost gauge. the needle will read vacuum, there is no boost to "blow off". the rotors of the supercharger are just spinning in free air not really moving air. i think some peeps may think that the supercharger is still sucking air with the throttle body closed.......... maybe with some real fancy plumming a bov could be made to work somehow but it still wouldnt have any useful purpose. i hope that kinda helps
Old 09-27-2006, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by bravehart929
a bov wont work on our superchargers, they only help with turbos and centri. chargers as someone said. once the throttle plate slams shut the turbos and centrif's are still making boost as said before and there has to be a way to release it. but with our cars after the throttle plate shuts our superchargers are not making boost anymore, run it up to full boost in let say 2nd then take your foot off the gas and look at the boost gauge. the needle will read vacuum, there is no boost to "blow off". the rotors of the supercharger are just spinning in free air not really moving air. i think some peeps may think that the supercharger is still sucking air with the throttle body closed.......... maybe with some real fancy plumming a bov could be made to work somehow but it still wouldnt have any useful purpose. i hope that kinda helps
That sums up our blowers to a tee.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by bravehart929

It's a positive displacement blower, it will push air no matter what. When the throttle plate closes, the bypass opens so taht it can pull air from the manifold, air that it has already pumped.

PS) THis is NOT an argum,ent about using a BOV, but about how the bypass truly operates. It truly is pointless
Old 09-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Banned

is it possible? yep, i did it. the car felt slower though. It was kinda neat though, but worthless.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:19 PM

It's a positive displacement blower, it will push air no matter what. When the throttle plate closes, the bypass opens so taht it can pull air from the manifold, air that it has already pumped.

PS) THis is NOT an argum,ent about using a BOV, but about how the bypass truly operates. It truly is pointless
When the manifold is in vacuum, air cannot travel upstream away from the engine's intake and back into the blower's inlet. The engine wants to ingest more air than the blower and throttle plate allow. Zero compression ratio means no compression of air if the engine demands more air than is allowed by the throttle plate. The demands of the engine outweigh the amount of incoming air.

No arguing, simply discussing. Nobody is forcing you to post.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:23 PM

ok, if you want to have a BOV and actually use it for something.......twin charge.....there ya go. now this thread actually has a point...
Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PuSha050
PLEASE READ!!!! can we please make this info a sticky or something bc having people ask about BOV's on our cars is kinda gettin really annoying
Wow man. Not everybody knows all like you. New members come in and ask old questions. That's how most forums work.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:51 PM

When the manifold is in vacuum, air cannot travel upstream away from the engine's intake and back into the blower's inlet. The engine wants to ingest more air than the blower and throttle plate allow. Zero compression ratio means no compression of air if the engine demands more air than is allowed by the throttle plate. The demands of the engine outweigh the amount of incoming air.

No arguing, simply discussing. Nobody is forcing you to post.
the thing is, if the plate WAS closed, there would BE pressure in the manifold!!!

Give me a minute, Ill actually run the math and get real numbers
Old 09-27-2006, 05:01 PM

At 900 rpm, the engine flows 35 CFM.

At 900 rpm, the SC (stock) spins at about 1500 rpm

At 1500 rom the SC flows 53 CFM

How about modded like me

At 900 rpm, the SC (2.5") spins at about 2000 rpm

At 2000 rpm, the flows 71 CFM

Where is this extra air going?? It recirculates!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Banned

Where is this extra air going?? It recirculates!
that might explain why i felt slower with the BOV
Old 09-27-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by sheek360
that might explain why i felt slower with the BOV
Most likly reason for that is you were bleeding metered air, air it expected to have, and the engine ran REALLY rich because it thought it had more air. A lot of cars (like evos) get hurt BAD from turning thier recirc BOV into a venting one. damn ricers, lol
Old 09-27-2006, 06:45 PM

noremorse and sheek360
ive contacted both of you i am going to come up with or recreat what was done on sheeks car however im going to find a way to go head and have it recerculate back into the manifold. this should still give the sound that everyone is looking for but still retain the air hopefully. if you guys could get together and help me with a starting point or give me a general idea on what you guys did i could have a good starting point.

my goal is to have the air recerculate and hopefully have a nice starting point for the super charger kinda like the recerculationg of a turbo bov in a turbo car. ill post my resualts and try and get a dyno so we can see the postive and negative so we can hopefully stop the bickering and i will take pics and do a write up so if anyone still wants to then we can have it there.

does anyone want to help besides sheek and noremorse?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by rickyw
noremorse and sheek360
ive contacted both of you i am going to come up with or recreat what was done on sheeks car however im going to find a way to go head and have it recerculate back into the manifold. this should still give the sound that everyone is looking for but still retain the air hopefully. if you guys could get together and help me with a starting point or give me a general idea on what you guys did i could have a good starting point.

my goal is to have the air recerculate and hopefully have a nice starting point for the super charger kinda like the recerculationg of a turbo bov in a turbo car. ill post my resualts and try and get a dyno so we can see the postive and negative so we can hopefully stop the bickering and i will take pics and do a write up so if anyone still wants to then we can have it there.

does anyone want to help besides sheek and noremorse?
lol, well sheek is in FL, and I am in MI
Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 PM

If we look at the pics of people that do the boost bypass mod, would that not help solve this arguement of which was the air flows through that little tube, and what its real function is?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
If we look at the pics of people that do the boost bypass mod, would that not help solve this arguement of which was the air flows through that little tube, and what its real function is?
boost bypass has to do with air flow to the solenoid and actuator, not the valve itself

Quick Reply: blow off valve on supercharged?