General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Boost Gauge in SS SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x1zero
So if I wanted to test this on some open road, what you're saying is that if I was driving side-by-side with a car without a booster, once I reach high speeds, I would actually be going faster than the car next to me. (being we are both in the same gears, and shifting at the same time)
Or you can pop off the cover on the intake and if you hear a loud whine as you are under heavy aceleration that is the boost kicking in.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:21 PM

So if I wanted to test this on some open road, what you're saying is that if I was driving side-by-side with a car without a booster, once I reach high speeds, I would actually be going faster than the car next to me. (being we are both in the same gears, and shifting at the same time)
Not really.

If you want to test this out, start rolling side-by-side with a Civic at the same speed in the same gear, both of you floor it at the same time, and see the Civic in your rearview.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:31 PM

i think he needs to know what boost and vacuum is. Boost is the amount of air pressure in the intake that the supercharger is forceing into the motor. vacuum is just that, the amount of vacuum the the motor is pulling while it is running. your motor is a big air pump, just like your vacuum cleaner. your supercharger feeds the motor air at a much greater rate than a motor without a supercharger. boost is how it is Measured. when you step on the petal to go you notice that the needle on the gauge goes from vac to boost, the more gas you give the more boost you should get, to a set point that is. when you let off the gas you are shuting the throttle body and creating a restricvtion(like puting your hand over you vacuum cleaner and having it suck in harder that if your hand wasn't there) and the gauge should shoot back down into the vac side of it. make sence?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:59 PM

It's just as pooch said. That's why they call Supercharged and Turbocharged cars, "Forced Induction". A Naturally (or Normally) Aspirated car is one that is aspirated (or obtains air) naturally from atmospheric pressure. A car with Forced Induction (Supercharger or Turbocharger) is literally having more air, FORCED into the engine. More air to the cylinders means more powerful explosion after compression (as it is your air that explodes, not the fuel....the fuel is simply the igniter). In the Cobalt, you should start to notice a difference in the pickup due to boost at around 3500rpm or so until redline. The best way to feel the boost is to drive your car at 2000rpm for a couple seconds and floor it. Then drive your car at 4500rpm for a few seconds and floor it. You will notice a huge difference in the "put your ass in the seat" feel due to more torque (which is created after full boost is obtained).
Old 12-17-2006, 10:02 PM

...which then allows the car to have more speed in less time (also referencing to bluefalcons hilarious post)

Right?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just..... wow. I'm sorry i cant help but to be in disbelief at this thread.

Last edited by Dead Zen; 12-17-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 PM

^^ then leave....he was just asking a simple question. While I also find it out of the ordinary for an owner of the car to not know this, it is still a question that is worth answering so that he does know what its there for. At least he had the ***** to ask and find out the truth as opposed to not learning at all.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Banned

Read up on it. you're jsut gonna get flamed here.

Wiki is your friend. Note the engine pic shown for an example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger
Old 12-17-2006, 10:09 PM

...which then allows the car to have more speed in less time (also referencing to bluefalcons hilarious post)

Right?
In a nutshell yes. In comparison to the exact same motor/drivetrain without boost, the car would produce more power in less time than one without.

Also, to notice the feel more, do it in 2nd or 3rd gear as opposed to 4th or 5th.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by 06lasersss/c
Be in disbelief all you want. As I said earlier, this car was given to me in a contest draw. I did not buy it and after reading the manual (no help) I have come here to learn about the boost gauge. I am sure you were just born one day and learned everything that car has to offer, right? Right...
Old 12-17-2006, 10:10 PM

Everyone has to start at some point and learn. Don't be an ass.

x1zero, go to this website: howstuffworks Auto Channel

That website alone can teach you a LOT about how engines work, and other car related things. I suggest first you learn how an internal combustion engine works, and then learn about how superchargers work. After that, you can read anything else you're interested in learning about, from brakes, to transmissions, and anything else.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:14 PM

yeah ^^^ BlueFalcon's right. Until I actually rebuilt my first engine, that was the best illustration of one actually working and how I first really comprehended it.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by BlueFalcon915
Everyone has to start at some point and learn. Don't be an ass.

x1zero, go to this website: howstuffworks Auto Channel

That website alone can teach you a LOT about how engines work, and other car related things. I suggest first you learn how an internal combustion engine works, and then learn about how superchargers work. After that, you can read anything else you're interested in learning about, from brakes, to transmissions, and anything else.

Thanks, I really appreciate that. One other thing, I was reading some info on a supercharger website, and one of the facts mentioned was that boost will engage when going up hill as well as other situations.

What kind of hill would that have to be? Like steep, regular road hill or small hill to get into your backyard garage? The reason I ask this is because ever since I started driving this car, when I pull into my garage at home (which has a small incline), my car tends to "boost" forward when I am under 5KM. Now, this could just be me unknowingly tapping the gas, but if not, could it be the boost engaging (as was referenced at this site)?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:15 PM

do they have anything there about a flux capicator?? Or what to do with blown out muffler bearings??? Low signal Fluid?? I need answers ASAP....
Old 12-17-2006, 10:20 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate that. One other thing, I was reading some info on a supercharger website, and one of the facts mentioned was that boost will engage when going up hill as well as other situations.

What kind of hill would that have to be? Like steep, regular road hill or small hill to get into your backyard garage? The reason I ask this is because ever since I started driving this car, when I pull into my garage at home (which has a small incline), my car tends to "boost" forward when I am under 5KM. Now, this could just be me unknowingly tapping the gas, but if not, could it be the boost engaging (as was referenced at this site)?
You shouldnt necessarily notice boost based a road slope or under 5km, again boost is in correlation to engine speed. The faster your belts are spinning (the higher the rpms) the more air the supercharger is cramming into the engine and its not really noticeable until around 3500rpm.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:23 PM

do they have anything there about a flux capicator?? Or what to do with blown out muffler bearings??? Low signal Fluid?? I need answers ASAP....
Yeah
Old 12-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Littlegoose
You shouldnt necessarily notice boost based a road slope or under 5km, again boost is in correlation to engine speed. The faster your belts are spinning (the higher the rpms) the more air the supercharger is cramming into the engine and its not really noticeable until around 3500rpm.
Well its a little more complex than that. Boost engages differently in different gears.

Laser you're being a douche bag.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:37 PM

If you wanna see the effect of boost on your car the easiest way, go to your local dealership and test drive a base model Cobalt or G5. You'll know the difference right away in acceleration.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by e to the x
Well its a little more complex than that. Boost engages differently in different gears.

Laser you're being a douche bag.

Well of course, but in basic terms, its pretty much the truth, and the only gears he would be in doing 5km are either 1st or 2nd, in which you hit boost at around roughly 3500. Don't hold me exactly to that number, just telling when its most noticeable to me.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:07 PM

i think he is feeling the clutch grabing at very low RPM. the jirking feeling when you let the clutch out and it kinda rocks the car back and forth.
and Lazer you are being kind of a *****.. i mean so he dosen't know what boost is. do u know everything about everyting? i think not. so grow up and if you not gona help go do your homework
Old 12-17-2006, 11:27 PM

What the hell is going on here?? I get home and check this and there are all these posts. I just worked a double (6am till 10 pm). You should all know i dont flame and all that ****. I guess i gotta email an admin about this, maybe change my password or something?? Help Has this happened to anyone else, ever
Old 12-17-2006, 11:33 PM

I was just thinking...If I reach 3500RPM (say in 3rd) and the boost engages..wouldnt I have to change to 4th soon because of the speed increase. Adding to that, during the gear shift, would the car not lose some speed, effectively stopping the boost?

If not, how long can the boost last?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:37 PM

I got to the bottom of tis mess. It seems my buddy got a password generator thingy ( He's into hacking) and did all this, Dont worry i punched him a few times and such.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:39 PM

I was just thinking...If I reach 3500RPM (say in 3rd) and the boost engages..wouldnt I have to change to 4th soon because of the speed increase. Adding to that, during the gear shift, would the car not lose some speed, effectively stopping the boost?

If not, how long can the boost last?

Ok now time for some serious stuff. Third you can go up to about 100 mph and then u hit rev limiter. If you powershift you will come right back into boost, that help any?????
Old 12-17-2006, 11:43 PM

But what if you dont powershift?

I get if you power shift, the boost will stay because the gear is shifted to the next highest gear without fully disengaging the clutch..but if you don't powershift and just regularly shift...do you loose the boost then?

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge in SS SC