General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Bumps and Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumps and Tweeters

Hey everyone, question about something seemingly bizarre that's been happening to my car (05 cobalt ss sc). Everything is fine when I turn it on but as I go down the street when listening to the radio, if I hit a bump, then my tweeters on either door (factory pioneer) begin to make an odd but annoying continuous clicking/squeaking sound, it is not white noise/static. Sometimes going over a bump causes both speakers to do this, other times it's just the left or just the right. The rest of the speakers continue to work normally and sound perfectly fine. Going over another bump occasionally causes the noise to stop. Shutting off the stereo while the speakers are making the noise will cause the tweeters to make a popping noise and then stop, but then if I go over another bump, even with the stereo off, the tweeters begin to produce the noise again. I have an aftermarket JVC touch screen stereo that I installed last winter but this problem has only been occurring for the past week, I am relatively confident nothing got messed up during my installation of the stereo. However the previous owner had a different stereo in there at some point that was removed prior to my purchasing it and also set it up with underglow. I have had the car for about 3 years now and this seems to be a brand new problem but didn't know if any of those details could help identify a possible wiring issue. Basically I'm at a loss for what exactly is going wrong to cause this phenomenon and would love any extra input of things to look into. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 532 Likes on 456 Posts
If it's just the tweeters they can be easily replaced. It's literally 1 clip and done. You can either OEM replace them or go components.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just a suggestion: the security box in mine behind the deck has to sit at a certain angle or else this weird popping noise happens and I can hear the rpms through my speakers. It's really hard to explain but if I smack the panel under my dash when it happens, it stops lol. Something to do with the connection I guess.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 532 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by cobaltssdude420
Just a suggestion: the security box in mine behind the deck has to sit at a certain angle or else this weird popping noise happens and I can hear the rpms through my speakers. It's really hard to explain but if I smack the panel under my dash when it happens, it stops lol. Something to do with the connection I guess.
That sounds like the harness may have a wire loose or two then. I had the popping sound until I redid my wiring through and through. Revving the engine in stereo sounds pretty cool