General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Bunch of questions for upcomming mods...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bunch of questions for upcomming mods...

Hey guys. I have a handfull of questions about some upcomming mods I plan on doing. And a few things for my girls Cobalt too. I'll number them so it's easier to respond to them. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Mine:

1. Ion / Supercharged Recaros. Total bolt in process into coupe? Howabout the rears? Would those work? I know the cobalt ones do but howabout the Ion ones? And for other aftermarket seats (Sparco, Tenzo-R, etc), what brackets do you use to make those work? Custom fab the stock ones? I'm not sure I like that idea...

2. What's the most sucessful way to paint the gold bowties? I want to leave the chrome trim though around it.

3. What are the best plugs for a 2.4? I run premium and all that and I want the best plugs. I have almost 35k on them now and figure they're probably about due to be gone over. At the same time, anything else I should change related to that as well?

4. For the headlights, I want those ones on eBay that are OEM style but just black/gunmetal instead of chrome. NOT the projectors. For anyone who added these, who's the best company to go with? Design-wise, etc.

5. what's needed for the s/c front lip on the 2.4 bumper? I know it's not just the lip...

6. For lowering springs, should I definately go Eibachs or are the lesser ones fine? They're alot cheaper. But I'll spend the extra cash if they're worth it in terms of ride and feel.

7. High flow cat? I know alot of perfomance guys do these. Necessary? Or will I just get all kinds of thrown codes like a *******?

8. Are the FE5 pieces THAT much better than my FE3? I know the sway bars are bigger and stuff. Is it worth it to upgrade?

9. Rear strut bar? I don't think we have "struts" on these cars, but could you put a bar to just more or less add rigidity to the rear (I already have a front)?

10. The infamous "tune". What is it? how much is it? What can you mod? What kind of gains do you get? I'm auto, so I think it actually helps me out even more...

11. I have an Injen intake. Is the AEM Dry-Flow filter better than the stock one? I've heard that it was...

12. Is an in-dash screen possible in these cars? I'd assume so, but I could be wrong. I have an Alpine normal player, but I'd LOVE a screen. It'd look perfect.

13. Has anyone found a paint that matches the interior trim? Some parts on my silver are nicked and **** and it's really looking bad. Plus I want to paint match my dash kit for my radio...

14. Best way to clean the engine cover? Or even polishing/painting? How extensive is this? I like the silver, but GOD does it get dirty.

15. Is there a "shift kit" for these cars? Or will a tune basically solve this issue?

16. what's the best way to tint your lenses? I want to do my rear marker lights.

17. Neon underbody kit. Is it DIY-friendly or should I take it to be done professionally?

My Girls:

1. How do you install the color-matched caps for the mirrors? Is it basically a glue/tape on process?

2. WTF is up with the antenna base on the '07s? It's real fat and no aftermarket antennas fit it. My '06 is a normal size and everything fits it.

3. Is a K&N drop-in filter worth it on the 2.2?

I know it's alot, but if you respond, thanks alot!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:28 PM

dont know the answers to all of those but heres what i know.

2. you can remove the gold bowtie from the silver trim i believe or you can just mask it off. theres a how to in the how to section.

3. keep the ones you got.

4. save your money and paint yours yourself. check the how to section for this one as well.

5. its just the lip, but you'll have to find a different way to keep it on there as the 2.4 bumper doesnt have the slits for it to fit.

6. eibachs are great if you have the money, but to tell you the truth, i have tenzos on my 2.4 and yes the ride is a little rougher than stock, i think they are just fine. check out gravana tuning for those.

10. dont know that much about it. find someone with hptuners in your area from the site and have them do it. they can change a lot of things, but you really only need a tune after some modding like an intake/header/exhaust/injector swap

12. yes.

13. ask the dealer?

14. degreaser

15. yes b&m shiftplus

16. vhs nightshades

17. if you can follow instructions and you have a jack you should be fine on your own.

hope this helps
Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4. paint them yourself.

7. yes youll likely throw a code. and not really gain anything.

12. lots of people have doubledin dvd players

13. GM sells it

16. VHT nightshades paint.

1. clip in i believe
Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM

8. The FE3 struts and shocks are supposed to be the same part #'s. The difference its the front sway bar is 24mm instead of 22mm. Ask at the dealer for a cross reference.

9. The "strut bar" for the rear that I have seen is a joke. Get a good sway bar like progressive unit either the 22mm or new 25mm thats coming out.

15. A tune can do wonders, boosting up the line pressure and such. I'd try that before I'd crack the trans open and see if its to your liking.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:10 PM

Anyone ever selling their s/c front lip? I heard it's several hundred dollars new. I'd rather buy an ok condition one used for like a hundred if possible. lol. Even if it's not black...