General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

to: Canadians

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question to: Canadians

hey there, a friend asked me what a chevy epica was, and i looked it up on the chevy-canada website... it looks like a nice car, but its sure not a chevy... i never heard of a car with a transverse mounted inline 6... can anyone tell me what this car is based off of?? thanks
Old 02-27-2005, 06:56 PM

its one of the Daewoo cars along with the optra and aveo...its about the same size as a malibu
Old 02-28-2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by aka_Matt
i never heard of a car with a transverse mounted inline 6
Well to let you know a little about the engine that I know..... We had employees from GM foundery at our car show, and they had a display on the engine. I basically is a inline 6 cylender simular to the inline 5 cylender motor. One interesting thing that is new with these motors are that the forms are styrofoam. These forms are set into a box and sand is placed around the stryofoam form. The aluminum is placed into the form and the stryofoam melts away. With a little cleaming and boring the motor looks increadible. From what they were telling me it is cheaper to make the motors this way as well it seems they can get a more percise form out of styrofoam. Anyway as for performance on the motor they tell me it is ultra smooth, you can barly feel it running. They also say that with the inline design it is suspose to trnsfer the power better to the trany. That is my two cents that I know from the employees of the foundery.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by rxxxryan
its one of the Daewoo cars along with the optra and aveo...its about the same size as a malibu
It matches the Malibu in every measurement almost exactly. Even the tires are the same, but the engins differ quite a bit.

Currently in Canada Chevy offers the following cars

Aveo
Optra
Cavalier
Cobalt
Epica
Malibu
Impala
Monte Carlo
Corvette
Old 02-28-2005, 08:59 AM

GM Canada is making some goofy lookin cars
Old 02-28-2005, 08:09 PM

ok, whats an 'optra' based on? is that the suzuki forenza?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by MikeSS
It matches the Malibu in every measurement almost exactly. Even the tires are the same, but the engins differ quite a bit.

Currently in Canada Chevy offers the following cars

Aveo
Optra
Cavalier
Cobalt
Epica
Malibu
Impala
Monte Carlo
Corvette
I know it seems ridiculous to me, why would you need that many cars, 3-4 maybe. i say keep the aveo, cobalt, impala, corvette, makes more sense.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:27 PM

i was just thinking, how do u sell a malibu against an epica? when the customer asks whats the difference between the 2 almost identically sized and priced cars, what do u say? well, the malibu is a chevy thats based on a saab 9-3 platform, with all chevy drivetrain, and the epica is a daewoo... hmmm
Old 03-01-2005, 12:29 AM

i was just thinking, how do u sell a malibu against an epica? when the customer asks whats the difference between the 2 almost identically sized and priced cars, what do u say? well, the malibu is a chevy thats based on a saab 9-3 platform, with all chevy drivetrain, and the epica is a daewoo... hmmm
Probably because the Malibu is goofy lookin.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:59 AM

Yeah, outside, and ecspecially inside, the Epica looks sooo much better. The Malibu is just way more refined and faster. I guess it depends on what you want, but it does seem stupid to me.

And the Suzuki Reno and Optra are the same car. The Suzuki Forenza and Chevy Epica are the same car.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:38 PM

oh, the epica is the same as the forenza?? i can't believe almost all the suzuki's are really daewoo's... i thought suzuki wanted to become known for their cars, not someone elses...