General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Car is dead. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car is dead. Help!

So Friday and Saturday I replaced my Transmission, Clutch, Flywheel, Wheel Hub Assembly’s, and shifter. The car had been sitting for about 5 months by this point. Took it on a test drive and it ran really well but I had quite a few warning lights. Battery light, ABS, Brake, CEL, TPS. When I looked at the codes it’s just the normal MAP issues with my tune etc that I’m always dealing with but nothing else. On the way home I lost all power and the car died. Do you think it is just a bad battery from sitting for so long or did my alternator take a crap or is it possible I missed a ground somewhere?? Any ideas? 2009 Cobalt SS
Old 05-25-2020, 04:48 AM

Received 176 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Giggleschits
So Friday and Saturday I replaced my Transmission, Clutch, Flywheel, Wheel Hub Assembly’s, and shifter. The car had been sitting for about 5 months by this point. Took it on a test drive and it ran really well but I had quite a few warning lights. Battery light, ABS, Brake, CEL, TPS. When I looked at the codes it’s just the normal MAP issues with my tune etc that I’m always dealing with but nothing else. On the way home I lost all power and the car died. Do you think it is just a bad battery from sitting for so long or did my alternator take a crap or is it possible I missed a ground somewhere?? Any ideas? 2009 Cobalt SS
It could very well be a bad ground either not connected or not making good contact. Checking the grounds should be the starting point. You probably had to disconnect wiring to drop the trans for the clutch. If you can't find something not connected or not tight, you can get your alternator tested to check and see if that is your issue. A bad BCM is known to cause warning lights and make the car act crazy, but I feel that's not very common. My thought is alternator ground wire. Also I recommend getting the battery charged or a new battery if you need one.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
It could very well be a bad ground either not connected or not making good contact. Checking the grounds should be the starting point. You probably had to disconnect wiring to drop the trans for the clutch. If you can't find something not connected or not tight, you can get your alternator tested to check and see if that is your issue. A bad BCM is known to cause warning lights and make the car act crazy, but I feel that's not very common. My thought is alternator ground wire. Also I recommend getting the battery charged or a new battery if you need one.
I got the battery charged so I’ll get it up in ramps today. The only ground I remember taking off would have been on the starter I think other than wires that were plug in. Would that affect the charge to the battery somehow?
Old 05-25-2020, 05:57 PM

Turns out it was the wires to the starter. I had the black wire coming from the left of the starter in the bottom. Not the top. Switched that and whalla. Runs like a crappy champ it is now